IGNORED

How much distance do you lose with age?

Artimas
Note: This thread is 3036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How much distance do you lose with age?

Wondering what you think of this.

How far does a 20-30-40-50-60 year old hit a driver?

We're all getting older.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I've lost about 10 mph off my max club head speed with a driver @ 56 years old. But I've been told that I'm an outlier, not the norm.

Doesn't sound like much, but I also tire easier and then the SS falls even more. I could ride, but I don't want to do that.

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Originally Posted by wmiller

I've lost about 10 mph off my max club head speed with a driver @ 56 years old. But I've been told that I'm an outlier, not the norm.

Doesn't sound like much, but I also tire easier and then the SS falls even more. I could ride, but I don't want to do that.

Try swinging outta your shoes on the last few holes. That always never works for me.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Loss of distance on drives - and all clubs for that matter - can be caused by more than simple aging.

In 2005, I had heart surgery. In the afterward "tale of the tape," I lost 1 inch thickness in my left calf, and 2 inches in my right calf.

I had outpatient abdominal surgery about 12 months apart in 2009 and 2010. At the time of my second surgery, the docs found that I have osteoarthritis of the right hip.

The arthritis problem comes and goes during a round of golf. Sometimes I have a fairly decent followthough, other times I barely get my hands back to head level. This leads to alternating swing paths from hole to hole. Below 60* F temperature is a waste of time, since I just can't get my body warmed up.

For workouts, I do some resistance training and cardio. You start losing muscle mass (2% a year starting around age 60) if you don't do resistance training. Flexibility in my hips is not bad in the gym, but can get tight on the back nine.

Possible solution: Get checked out by a trainer certified by Titleist Performance Institute. At the course where I have an intro membershipm, the pros work with him. TPI guys work with aging or injured golfers to see if they need to adjust swing motion and/or exercise routine.

As the Stones' Mick Jagger sang, "What a drag it is getting old!"

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

when i was 20 somthing i had my SS check and it was a whooping 96

46 today SS 130 on the high end 118 normal

Wilson FG Tour 4-SW

Alpha Driver

Adams Speedline 3W
Oddessy #9 Putter

Bridgestone B330-S

Quote:

46 today SS 130 on the high end 118 normal

Sure ..... and your average drive is 325ish

• Upvote 1

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Depends on your swing and the shape you are in. My father is 60 and still hits it 250-260 off the tee consistently, around the same distance as me and I'm 19.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Try swinging outta your shoes on the last few holes. That always  never works for me.

ROFLMAO!!!! Actually, (wiping tears from my eyes) I've done that. Occasionally it works, but usually it results in a huge pull hook that I'm too tired to go after.

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I play in a Seniors dog-fight on TUE and THUR and the 'rule' is anyone over the age of 70 can play from the forward (Red) tees.  There are a couple of guys that drive the greens on #4, 252, #9 286, and #16 270...every frik'n week!  Its actually fun to watch, but the skins..well, not so much. So to the OP...I have no idea.  Tom Watson is still a freak at his age and I have no comparison to what he used to drive or hit his irons when he first started out.  I do kno tho, that we have some guys that hit a 7 iron to a 135 par 3 while others are still whacking PW or 9 irons!

age doesn't cause loss of distance, fitness does.  Flexibility, stamina, diseases/injuries..these are what will decline a golf game.  I think the biggest one is flexibility and if you can somehow maintain good flexibility you shouldn't see much distance loss over the years.

• Upvote 1

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Originally Posted by Paradox

age doesn't cause loss of distance, fitness does.  Flexibility, stamina, diseases/injuries..these are what will decline a golf game.  I think the biggest one is flexibility and if you can somehow maintain good flexibility you shouldn't see much distance loss over the years.

Maintaining flexibility without maintaining strength and speed is not a guarantee of anything. You can only delay the inevitable for so long - aging happens to everyone.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

you're not gonna keep flexibility without some kind of strength and speed ;)

Jack LaLane argues with you about aging! haha

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Paradox

you're not gonna keep flexibility without some kind of strength and speed ;)

Jack LaLane argues with you about aging! haha

In my golfing life, I've played with approximately one player over 65 would could drive the ball over 275. He said as he lost distance he'd upgraded his equipment to keep pace. I'm hitting the ball farther at 44 than I was at 34, because of equipment, but I doubt at 64 there'll be anything legal that will keep me at this distance. Assuming there will be golf at all in 2031.

I played with some guys today, both over 60. One of them was carrying the ball 245-250. He was easily outdriving me. I had a really, really bad driving day, but even if I was hitting it well, I would've just matched him. Technology allows people to play longer. Senior shafts, titanium club face, and of course the improvement in the ball. The one gentleman's swing didn't look pretty, but he was very, very effective off of the tee.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

In my golfing life, I've played with approximately one player over 65 would could drive the ball over 275. He said as he lost distance he'd upgraded his equipment to keep pace. I'm hitting the ball farther at 44 than I was at 34, because of equipment, but I doubt at 64 there'll be anything legal that will keep me at this distance. Assuming there will be golf at all in 2031.

I agree that technology has allowed many players who are in their 50s & 60s today to hit it as far as they did 20 years ago...my dad is almost 80 and I think he was able to maintain most of his distance up until maybe 7-10 years ago, but in many ways his fitness level improved the first 5 years after he retired at 65.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

I am 53 and hitting it farther than ever(for me) and probably thanks to UST Mamiya and the Bridgestone B330-RX.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I still contend that if you're unable to swing new technology, its not going to make a bit of difference what club you're using.  You have to maintain some semblence of athletic ability to get use out of the club.

I say I average probably 255-265 off of the tee.  I'm typically one of the longer guys in my group of guys my age 35-45.  My dad, who is 60, outdrives me 90% of the time and always has by about 10-20 yards.  I played in a member member with my friend who is a 2 time Club Champ, 1 cap  and 38 years old.  We played with two friends both of whom are over 50.  They both outdrove us for 2 days straight.

Bottom line, age has nothing to do with distance.  That's why Fred Couples can outdrive Joe Ogilvie all day long.  More to it like swings and the correct equipment especially shafts.

Note: This thread is 3036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!