IGNORED

Honestly, I hit it long

gjsuicide
Note: This thread is 4636 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by sean_miller

That would be approximately 100x the rate that haters who start threads like this see as reality.

Wait, how many people on this board have really claimed to carry it 300 yards on average?  Or even carry it 280?  I've always assumed people are talking carry plus roll.  Carry plus roll average of 280 is MUCH different from average carry at 280!  I average carry+roll maybe 270-275, but I know I only carry it probably 245-250; it's just that I play in SoCal with dry, hard fairways and almost always get at least 25 yards of roll.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

#1 in the world (for what it's worth) Luke Donald averages 279 in driver distance. This is considered short.. actually 8 yards shorter than the PGA Tour average.

Like I told my girlfriend when she first started golfing... She could only hit maybe 75 yards, but it was straight as an arrow.. I said.. if it takes you 5-6 shots to get to the green and 2-3 putts to get the ball in the hole on a Par 5, you'll outplay anyone that we play with. I hit the ball longer than anyone in my group, but it went all over the place. Long and wrong is a horrible combination.

It was said perfectly in a previous post... it's not how long, it's how many. Enough said!

taylormade.gif R9 460 9.5* Stiff
cobra.gif Baffler 2h
 JPX 800 Pro 4-PW  *New! eBay gamble paid off!*
cleveland.gif CG14 52* /  MP T-10 56* /  callaway.gif Vintage Tour X Wedge 60*

taylormade.gif Spider Ghost /  Z Star Yellow

I don't think the distinction between carry vs carry+roll is focused on much during these discussions.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Mattplusness

I think for everyone saying they hit it long, there are 5 people who don't post. Why would someone post if they are just an average hitter? You're not seeing between the lines here, folks.

OK. If I get 235, I'm happy. If I get 250, I say to myself, "How did that happen?"

But that doesn't mean I'm a short hitter. Not at all, when compared to how far I used to hit wooden woods and wound balls. I hit a drive and an iron into greens now on holes that I would hit a drive and a fairway wood into and maybe still be short, 40 years ago.

Honestly...this thread is a hoot.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

whats the record for longest thread on TST? This one may break it.  I got paired randomly today with some guy.  Bottomline, he came 2 feet over the top at about 75 mph and said on more than one occassion, "only 240 but I'll take it" when clearly his ball was flying well short of that.  Now, maybe he had a deft sense of humor, but I swear he was serious...

Founder/President, AroGolf Premium Milled Putters
Titleist 983K 9.5 / Adams Insight 3W / Rotation of hybrids/long irons
Ping i3 Blades White Dot 5-PW / Ping Tour Wedges Green Dot 52, 58
AroGolf iON1 FB BLACK mil-spec putter

The funniest part to all this is that each of us has probably played with someone who was under the spell of the "300" yard benchmark drive.   So,when you out-drive this person, there only response is that you are also long hitter, capable of crushing monster 300+ yard bombs.

I played with one such guy at my primary course last season. Even though I had played the course 35+ times at this point, AND had a SG5 GPS in addition to the GPS in each cart, this guy would constantly boast that his drives were 285 - 310 yards.  My GPS would mark my drive at 235 yards, and he was 10 yards behind me - show him the cart GPS when we got to his ball,and he was convinced that the GPS was broken.  Showed him the SG5 marked distance on two holes after his drives - said that the satellite must be out of position or something.  The guy was clearly delusional, and apparently very comfortable living in the world he created in his mind.

But, he bought me two beers during the round, so he was not a bad person,.

• Upvote 2

the end result of distance is not as important as how far you fly the ball, swing speed, ball speed, spin etc...

if you are only hitting it solid 1 out of 5 shots then you must have ideal launch conditions and a swing speed upwards of 115mph to carry it that far. In that case you'd be better off getting heavy weight x flex shafts. That will help straighten out your shots a bunch. The shorter shaft might help you hit it more solid as well but i'd get fitted for a proper flex and weight/torque shaft first.

I am talking sweet spot. 99% of the other times I am just a bit off, not a whole lot. I use a x-stiff in my driver it is an untipped shaft. The total length is 46". I would mainly do it to get my fairway % up. If I lost 10 yards I would have a problem with that. My main problem is blocking to the right or pull hooking. Hardly ever go OB. :)

Driver:  Ping G15 9* with Talamonti 70x shaft
3 Wood/Hybrid:  Taylormade Rescue TP 17*
3-PW Irons:  Ping G15 Green Dot KBS 90 shafts
Gap Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTG
Sand Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTGLob Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTGPutter:  OdysseyBall:  Bridgestone 330-RXS or 330-SBag:  Generic

Originally Posted by arogolf

whats the record for longest thread on TST? This one may break it.  I got paired randomly today with some guy.  Bottomline, he came 2 feet over the top at about 75 mph and said on more than one occassion, "only 240 but I'll take it" when clearly his ball was flying well short of that.  Now, maybe he had a deft sense of humor, but I swear he was serious...

lol, that's awesome.  I think I will start doing that.

"meh, that's only 290, but I'll take it."

Originally Posted by jshots

I hit my pitching wedge 350

350 what?

taylormade.gif R9 460 9.5* Stiff
cobra.gif Baffler 2h
 JPX 800 Pro 4-PW  *New! eBay gamble paid off!*
cleveland.gif CG14 52* /  MP T-10 56* /  callaway.gif Vintage Tour X Wedge 60*

taylormade.gif Spider Ghost /  Z Star Yellow

I hit it longer than Carl Spackler................

LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by jshots

I'd have to cut my gap wedge to only hit it 350.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I hit mine about 390 [SIZE=0]feet. [/SIZE]

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

BTW I typically poke my putter 375+

Driver:  Ping G15 9* with Talamonti 70x shaft
3 Wood/Hybrid:  Taylormade Rescue TP 17*
3-PW Irons:  Ping G15 Green Dot KBS 90 shafts
Gap Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTG
Sand Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTGLob Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTGPutter:  OdysseyBall:  Bridgestone 330-RXS or 330-SBag:  Generic

Originally Posted by bkoguy07

http://www.golf.com/golf/video/article/0,28224,2023121,00.html

(go to 3:09, 300 yrd with your putter step ya game up)

lol, wow that is an amazing video to watch.

Brandon

Note: This thread is 4636 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!