IGNORED

Honestly, I hit it long

gjsuicide
Note: This thread is 4636 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I honor of Father's Day, my dad used to say, "Son, don't believe anything you hear or half of what you see."

If the best golfers in the world only average 289 with their drivers I doubt if there are many people on an internet forum that hit it longer than that. In all my years of being on golf courses and driving ranges I've seen very few guys that can hit it more than about 250 on a consistent basis. The back fence at the range where I practice is 300 yds. I can take you there right now and I'll bet there won't be more than a half a dozen balls within 10 yds of that fence.

My home course is very short, with the exception of a couple of holes. We've got 3 par 4 holes that play just under 300. I can count on one hand the number of guys I've seen drive those greens and I play there everyday. Last year, in addition to playing every day I was also the Saturday morning ranger so I got to watch a lot of golfers play that course. I only saw 3 guys drive the green on any of those par 4s all season. Several people came close, which means they hit their drives 275 or so but even they admitted those were exceptional shots.

Last month we had our first members scramble of the year. There were approx. 50 of us that played. On the long drive hole one of the guys in the first group hit a monster shot. When we got to the sign and measured it off it was 265 yds. That held until one of the guys a few groups behind him hit one 280+. He won the money. That guy was a ringer, by the way. None of us had ever met him before. We just learned last week that he has been awarded a full ride to play golf at Ohio State.

Last year in our members and volunteers league the longest drive money was won every week with drives that were approx. 250. There were only a couple of exceptions. A couple of times the long drive was closer to 275. One night in particular there was a ringer playing as a sub. He hit a couple of drives that were pushing 300. Turns out he was a big star on the golf team at Wright State University. An amateur, yes, but not the typical recreational golfer. That guy was a phenomenal player.

Bottom line: I don't really care what people say. I'll believe it when I see it and I haven't seen very many drives that went farther than 280 yds.

• Upvote 2

In the Bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher Ultralight XL 270

FW: Taylor Made 300 17 degree 
3-PW: Mizuno MX-23

AW: Mizuno TP-T11 52/07 (Bent to 50)
SW: Mizuno TP-T11 56/10

LW: Mizuno TP-T11 60/05

Putter: Original Ping Zing

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

Based on the courses in my area, well at least based on the random guys I've played over the years, the typical drives of the above average hitters at longer, tighter, more challenging, and more expensive courses (coincidence?) is probably 30+ yards longer the driving average of the top 1/2 of the drivers at my current course.

Based on experience at other courses, I'd say my driving average is above average, at best. The old guys at my new course think we should be trying out for the tour. It sounds like your course, like my new one, has a lot of real short knockers.

Originally Posted by blackxpress

I honor of Father's Day, my dad used to say, "Son, don't believe anything you hear or half of what you see."

If the best golfers in the world only average 289 with their drivers I doubt if there are many people on an internet forum that hit it longer than that. In all my years of being on golf courses and driving ranges I've seen very few guys that can hit it more than about 250 on a consistent basis. The back fence at the range where I practice is 300 yds. I can take you there right now and I'll bet there won't be more than a half a dozen balls within 10 yds of that fence.

My home course is very short, with the exception of a couple of holes. We've got 3 par 4 holes that play just under 300. I can count on one hand the number of guys I've seen drive those greens and I play there everyday. Last year, in addition to playing every day I was also the Saturday morning ranger so I got to watch a lot of golfers play that course. I only saw 3 guys drive the green on any of those par 4s all season. Several people came close, which means they hit their drives 275 or so but even they admitted those were exceptional shots.

Last month we had our first members scramble of the year. There were approx. 50 of us that played. On the long drive hole one of the guys in the first group hit a monster shot. When we got to the sign and measured it off it was 265 yds. That held until one of the guys a few groups behind him hit one 280+. He won the money. That guy was a ringer, by the way. None of us had ever met him before. We just learned last week that he has been awarded a full ride to play golf at Ohio State.

Last year in our members and volunteers league the longest drive money was won every week with drives that were approx. 250. There were only a couple of exceptions. A couple of times the long drive was closer to 275. One night in particular there was a ringer playing as a sub. He hit a couple of drives that were pushing 300. Turns out he was a big star on the golf team at Wright State University. An amateur, yes, but not the typical recreational golfer. That guy was a phenomenal player.

Bottom line: I don't really care what people say. I'll believe it when I see it and I haven't seen very many drives that went farther than 280 yds.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Crushed a couple of 300 yarders today but also sliced a couple of 260 yarders- my course is open and I can get away with it. I would still trade for 230-250 down the middle every time.

I hit driver on every hole at my home course except for the par 3's and one very tight par 4. It is pretty wide open and the rough is not very penalizing. Out of the last 3 rounds I have hit 4 drives (out of 39) in the 280's with one being at 287 yards and ending up within 50 yards of a green. These are certainly an exception, and hardly an average. I probably hit as many of those 39 tees shots 150 yards as well. 4 drives @ 280 yards and 4 drives @ 150 yards = 215 yard average

My course is 6816 yards (the tips are 7621 yards) and requires some decent length to get short clubs in your hands for second shots. In order for me to have 150 yards (8i) or less into most holes I have to hit it 240-50 off the tee with roll which for me requires driver. I recently got a gps system but haven't been keeping track and only measuring the REALLY good ones. I will start averaging them all and come up with a more accurate number. I'm suspecting about 220-230 yards or so. I play at a muni and my drives are usually past most of the other hackers there, but certainly not long by any stretch.

BTW, we all know that it doesn't do any good to be within 50 yards of a green if you can't hit it close with your short game. In my example above I ended up making frustrating par with a not so good shot with a wedge that ended up long that left me with a L-O-N-G putt @ birdie.

Quoted for posterity... and perspective.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I think it depends on who you talk to. Golf purists who really love the game and everything it stands for are going to tell you the truth. My uncle was so good he probably could have played on tour back in the 60s and 70s. But he didn't think he could hit it long enough off the tee. He played around a +5 in his prime but was intimidated by the length of the bombers in those days. That should tell you that he clearly didn't boast or exaggerate that he hit it long. It is probably true that the average golfer hits the ball around 200-240 off the tee. I think the reason for this is the average golfer cannot or doesn't understand how to create power. I am lucky enough to have golf thick in my blood from all the men on both sides of my family. My dad was a teaching professional and I've had a club in my hand since I was 3 years old. He and that uncle I mentioned have been teaching me since I could comprehend what they were saying. Then I started growing and growing to a height of 6'5" giving me a larger swing arc, creating more clubhead speed. I try to model my swing after Ernie Els and his perfect tempo. He swings effortlessly and still hits it 300 yards. It is not impossible to hit it long just because you aren't a pro golfer. As someone already stated, it is probably the easiest thing to match them in. The difference is they hit the sweet spot and keep it in the fairway A LOT more often then we do. The thing that always makes me chuckle under my breath is watching other people I play with swing out of their shoes to say they hit a 7 iron as far as Phil Mickelson (notoriously long iron player) does. But thats a whole nother discussion

Kip

“Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course--the distance between your ears.“ -Bobby Jones

TaylorMade R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* w/Aldila RIP 70-X TaylorMade V-Steel 15* w/MAS Ultralite 65-X Titleist AP2 3-P upright 0.5* w/ Project X 6.0 +1" TaylorMade Rac TP 52* 8* bounce Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54* 11* bounce, 60* 7* bounce Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5

While threads like this are all in good fun, TBH, I really don't care if someone thinks they average 300 with their driver.  It's not my "job" to disprove what they believe.  Heck, I still think that stripper I met over the weekend was giving me a lap dance because she was hot for me and not because I was slipping $20s in her g-string.  So, I don't think I'm in any position to judge what anyone else thinks (about golf and about strippers).

With that; to the golfers that average 300 on their drives, hit 'em straight and have a great round.

• Upvote 1

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

I laugh at myself that I can consistently (off a tee) hit my hybrid 3iron 230yds...and can only get another 10-15yds out of my driver. When I get those "downhill, downwind, roll-forever drives" that cross the 300 yd mark....I know I just got away with something.

Here's what I've learned, personally, provided I hit it straight and get a little roll:

Uphill drives - my average = 210

Level drives - my average = 250

Downhill drives - my average = 280

all i know on how far i can drive the ball is based on experience at my home course using my gps on my phone, doesn't have a shot measuring feature. the first hole is a fairly level, 370 yard par 4...and the last 2 years i've hit a ball short of the 100 yard marker maybe 10 times (most of em due to wind)...always closer than 100 yards. On the 390 yard par 4 4th...i'm usually at or approx 5 yards short of the 100 marker, sometimes just infront.  I've been told by our club pro, along with most of our members that myself, and two other guys are the longest they've ever played with and are certainly the longest at our club. now, i'm not saying i hit it 300 consistently, i'm just throwin it out there that i can and do hit it a fairly long way. i have no proof or screen shots of anything and lets be honest, someone/somewhere would say it's bogus anyway. i've hit my 3w anywhere from 225 with wind in my face to 265 on a fairly flat par 5.  this thread could most commonly be compared to a 'no seriously hun, i'm that big...' kinda thread. a) will i ever play golf with someone in this forum? eh, maybe b) will they drive it 300, or for that matter will I? eh, maybe c) are 95% of the statistics and 'i swear i hit it that long's made up? eh, maybe.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Originally Posted by LfSideStrngSide

My uncle was so good he probably could have played on tour back in the 60s and 70s. But he didn't think he could hit it long enough off the tee. He played around a +5 in his prime but was intimidated by the length of the bombers in those days. That should tell you that he clearly didn't boast or exaggerate that he hit it long. It is probably true that the average golfer hits the ball around 200-240 off the tee.

When I think about this subject, it takes me back to football parallels.

I played football for about 9 years through high school and college.  I've participated in 2 major combines, 1 private group workouts, a huge public tryout as well as many off-season strength/conditioning and speed tests.  Through all of my years of being tested and being around other athletes that have been tested, I can count on probably 2 hands the number of 4.3 forty yard dashes or legitimate 40" vertical leaps I've witnessed.  Yet, almost every time you hear about a high school/college athlete being fast or able to jump high, they say he runs a 4.3 or has a 40" vertical.  That is the gold standard number that relates to the every-man as being elite, and so that is the figure that is used.

The reality is that very few people are that fast or jump that high compared to how many claim it.  I was always one of the best leapers in any given gym and on any team I played for--if not the best--and I was always the only person to get into the 40" ballpark.  I coach now, and I'm around high school athletes all the time who claim to have run a 4.3 before or that their brother did, and I just kind of laugh.  The reality is that people don't know how fast that is.  A 4.5 is FAST.  A 4.4 is VERY fast.  Yet if I tell people that my best timed forty was a 4.48, they would look at me as if that were some ho-hum time that any of their high school buddies could have beaten*.  People would only be impressed if I said I ran a 4.3. That's the gold standard that they relate to.

So, the same holds true for golf: if you want to project yourself as a long hitter to any random person on a golf course, you need to say something in the 300 yard ball park.  Saying you're a long hitter who routinely hits it 265 may result in some smirks and eye-rolls.  Maybe avid golfers are more familiar with distances, but it wouldn't surprise me if people use the 300 figure simply because they believe that's how far the long amateur hits the ball.

*(full disclosure: I was never the fastest on my high school/college football teams or track teams).

Brandon

• Upvote 1

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

lol 4.48 is moving, I've only met 2 people who are faster then 4.3, both of which blow 4.3 out the water :)

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

Agreed.  What's funny about this thread is that there is so much focus on driver distance by a majority of golfers.  I bet (I didn't make the effort to search) that there is at most 1 thread of someone bragging, "I average 24 putts per round" or "I average 16 greens in regulation".  Driver distance has such a small factor on ability to play.  What difference does it make to hit a drive 300 yards on a par 4 if it still takes 4 shots to get down???  For me, I would rather hit 5 iron off the tee on a 320-ish yard par 4 in order to leave myself with a full wedge shot in rather than trying to get as close as I can to the green only to have an awkward 50 yard pitch.

I also chuckle when I see people at the range that hit two buckets using nothing but driver.  What a waste of $12-16!

In the bag:
Ping G5 Driver 9 degree, Ping G10 3-wood, Nike 3 hybrid, TaylorMade R9 Irons 4-AW, Cleveland CG15 56 and 60 degree wedges, Odyssey 2-ball blade putter

Football track time are more inaccurate  than  golf drive distance on the internet. Between the hand timed ones (coach is slow to react to the start and quick to stop), inaccurate distances, and who knows how many different surfaces comparing them is pretty pointless. You can say the same thing about drive distance. Does everyone factor in wind, altitude, elevation, and so on? I have definitely played with a couple guys that put it out about 300 while playing. I can assure you that I did think well there was a 5 mph tailwind and we had 5 yards of elevation so that was really like a 280 yard drive. It was more like-"you knocked the crap out of the ball". And I am never show how you account for the 300 yard drive into the woods into the average. Is it a 0 or a 300?

Originally Posted by bplewis24

When I think about this subject, it takes me back to football parallels.

I played football for about 9 years through high school and college.  I've participated in 2 major combines, 1 private group workouts, a huge public tryout as well as many off-season strength/conditioning and speed tests.  Through all of my years of being tested and being around other athletes that have been tested, I can count on probably 2 hands the number of 4.3 forty yard dashes or legitimate 40" vertical leaps I've witnessed.  Yet, almost every time you hear about a high school/college athlete being fast or able to jump high, they say he runs a 4.3 or has a 40" vertical.  That is the gold standard number that relates to the every-man as being elite, and so that is the figure that is used.

The reality is that very few people are that fast or jump that high compared to how many claim it.  I was always one of the best leapers in any given gym and on any team I played for--if not the best--and I was always the only person to get into the 40" ballpark.  I coach now, and I'm around high school athletes all the time who claim to have run a 4.3 before or that their brother did, and I just kind of laugh.  The reality is that people don't know how fast that is.  A 4.5 is FAST.  A 4.4 is VERY fast.  Yet if I tell people that my best timed forty was a 4.48, they would look at me as if that were some ho-hum time that any of their high school buddies could have beaten*.  People would only be impressed if I said I ran a 4.3. That's the gold standard that they relate to.

So, the same holds true for golf: if you want to project yourself as a long hitter to any random person on a golf course, you need to say something in the 300 yard ball park.  Saying you're a long hitter who routinely hits it 265 may result in some smirks and eye-rolls.  Maybe avid golfers are more familiar with distances, but it wouldn't surprise me if people use the 300 figure simply because they believe that's how far the long amateur hits the ball.

*(full disclosure: I was never the fastest on my high school/college football teams or track teams).

Brandon

The 14th hole on this one course I play is listed as 358 from the back tees.  The fairway goes out about 150 yards, then slopes down to the green, so it's a blind tee shot.  Either I'm a god on that hole only, or the yardage listed is way off.  My normal good drives are in the 250-260 range, but a few times I've ended up with a 10 yard chip shot left for my 2nd shot.  Or in one case I was hole high right of the green.

I think it's holes like these that give guys the impression that they can hit it 300.  Or in my case 358, which leaves me a 140 yard gap to my next longest club.

What's the point of a 300 yard drive if your handicap index is still double digits?

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

What's the point of a 300 yard drive if your handicap index is still double digits?

To help get it into single digits?

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

As a young 20 Macho lad, i would love to say i can Smash one to 300+ reality is... I cant. 260 if im lucky!

However, Ive never had a swing coach, I've had three lessons when i was 8 (coach was a twat). I think people see stuff on tele and try and do what they are seeing.. Buy bigger, longer clubs, larger driver heads, stiffer shafts and go all out to match Daly.

Heres an Idea: Limit the driver size to 360cc rather than 460cc, get amateur players to Learn to play. rather than save up enough dough to go out and spend 4000 dollars on a set of clubs they cant even swing Properly...

Ive never met a scratch golfer who relies on a 300 yrd driver... They must know what they are doing...? Even more so, my dad still plays a wooden driver...beats me by 3+ shots every time!

theres my 2 cents...over and out.

Originally Posted by Kieran123

To help get it into single digits?

300 yards is a benchmark, but even for longer hitters it takes a perfect strike in perfect driving conditions. For most holes on most courses the risk isn't worth the reward. If the ball ends up in deep rough or other trouble though, then those extra 15-20 yards mean a shorter club that you can't get to spin. I'd take 8-iron over PW most times. A long hitter who can consistently drive in the 300 ballpark, but still struggles scoring, might be better served by learning to hit a 2 (or 3) iron and see what getting more approaches from the fairway does to their scores. It takes some honesty (and humility) to realize that a 300 yard drive doesn't always lead to better scores and more often than not leads to penalty strokes.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4636 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!