IGNORED

Does anyone use a 5 wood anymore?

Note: This thread is 3647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking into getting a 5 wood this weekend during my Titleist fitting.

I hit my 9 wood well and struggle with my 3 hybrid. Between my driver and those 2 clubs there is a bit of a distance gap so I will go in with an open mind. I already have to get a driver anyway.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I love the 5w, it works especially well for a 2nd shot approach on a par 5, long par 4's, and a nice tee shot onto a long par 3. I seem to hit quite well and accurately. I also have a 4 hybrid for a higher lofted shot.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Count me in as another that doesnt use hybrids. I use D 3w 5w 7w The 3w and 7w are my favorite as I can hit a baby hook and baby fade respectively with that club. When I play a course with holes that not treeline or fairway is cut straight then I use the driver and 5w more often as I straighten my hook and fade and just drive or smash the ball straight As a straight fairway does not fit my eye I notice I have to stand behind the ball to visualize the flight better. Rather than to just stand sideways and smash it

Just added a 5-wood to the bag.  I need a club to eat up yards on par-5s and maybe hit a green on the long-ish par 4s.  Got the TM Stage 2 HL 21* model.  That should get it up an flying toward the target quickly.  We'll see ....

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

• 1 month later...

5 wood back in the bag.  I have a high launching shaft on it and use it for 210-225 range.  The course I play has an elevated par three (197 yds) and the wind is usually strong right to the tee box.  I also sometimes use it on a long par 5 if I get enough distance off the tee.

I don't like hybrids.  I should learn to hit them though for the workability factor.

Just added a 5W to the bag this weekend. Figured I'd ease my golf withdrawal (too much rain to play) by treating myself to some new equipment this weekend. Had a chance to take it out to the range and, while I like my hybrids, I LOVE THE 5W!!! Hitting it was effortless and I really liked the high trajectory. I always thought the hybrids were meant to be easier to get airborne, but they take a back seat to the 5W. Mind you, this is just based on a few hours on the range so we'll have to see how it works for me in an actual round. for the equipment junkies out there (like me) I went with the X2 Hot 5W and, honestly, I seemed to hit it longer then by RBZ S2 3W so my next purchase might be to replace the 3W.

^  I just added a 5W also - I hit 3 & 4 hybrids ok, but man do I struggle with a 2 hybrid, so I've been wanting to switch it out for a 5w.    I hit my 3 wood MUCH more consistently off the deck than my 2 hybrid - just can't get it up in the air with my slower swing speed.       I put so much time into learning to hit the 3 wood & getting confident with it, I think I'm really going to like the 5 wood, just hoping the ball flight off the tee isn't too high.    We shall see ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

5 wood back in the bag.  I have a high launching shaft on it and use it for 210-225 range.  The course I play has an elevated par three (197 yds) and the wind is usually strong right to the tee box.  I also sometimes use it on a long par 5 if I get enough distance off the tee.  I don't like hybrids.  I should learn to hit them though for the workability factor.

The hybrids are usually hit like an iron or sometimes like a wood and are more versatile. The main advantage over a wood is they are more reliable off the fairway such as in deep rough or sand traps. The 5W is a nice club, but just not as versatile as a 3H.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

freshman year of college when i bought my titleist 735s, they came with a 2 iron, so i used that for a few years. i just recently picked up a taylormade rbz tour 5 wood. i figured they're way more versatile than a 2 iron, and i could probably hit it farther anyway. i like it so far, haven't played a round with it yet, just hit balls at the range

Mike

Titleist 910 D2 8.5deg Driver

Titleist 913 fd 13.5deg 3 Wood

Taylormade RBZ Tour 18deg 5 Wood

Titleist 735 Irons

Titleist Spin Milled 52deg Wedge

Mizuno MP 56deg Wedge

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Putter

Always found the hybrid easier to hit.  Also, can't really hit a wood off of a bad lie.  My setup in the sig.

Bettinardi Golf Kuchar #2 Cobra Bio Cell+ Callaway Razr Hawk 3W TaylorMade SLDR 19H Mizuno JPX 825-Pro 4-AW Scor 55 & 60 (Wedges)

Always found the hybrid easier to hit.  Also, can't really hit a wood off of a bad lie.  My setup in the sig.

i never really liked hybrids, i had a nike back in HS, but i hated the way it looked at setup. def a versatile club though, just not my style

Mike

Titleist 910 D2 8.5deg Driver

Titleist 913 fd 13.5deg 3 Wood

Taylormade RBZ Tour 18deg 5 Wood

Titleist 735 Irons

Titleist Spin Milled 52deg Wedge

Mizuno MP 56deg Wedge

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Putter

I definetly think my hybrids will still have a place in the bag, especially when I need to get it out of the rough (which sadly I see way to often). I think the new 5W for me will be a good club for those long 200+ yard par 3's (I have two on my home course) and those rare 5 par 2nd shots where I'm actually hitting out of the fairway.

I still carry a 5 wood and mostly use it from the Tee for short par 4's, doglegs and long par 3's. On rare occasions I'll use it from the fairway if trouble around my landing zone is minimal. When I want to advance the ball the furthest and still maintain accuracy I'll use my 3H.

I just replaced my 17 degree 5W with a 17 degree hybrid. Although I have lost 5 to 10 yards of the tee due to the shorter shaft, i still find the hybrid to be more versatile overall. Other than distance, I can work the ball both ways and control my trajectory way better with a hybrid. No matter the lie on par 5's, I feel way more confident when going for the green in 2 because of the forgiveness of the hybrid vs the fairway wood. My consistency on long par 3's has also been better. My misses with the hybrid compared to the fairway woods have made it easier to get up and down. I have always preferred putting a 5W in the bag rather than a 3W. I find myself using the 5W 3 to 5 times more a round compared to a 3W, even more now that i have switched to the 17 degree hybrid.

Titleist 915D2 10.5°
Titleist 913h 17°
Titleist 913h 21°
Titleist AP1 4-GW
Titleist Vokey SM4 54° and 58°
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar Putter

Note: This thread is 3647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!