IGNORED

PING Eye 2s Are the Best Irons Ever Created

Note: This thread is 1302 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After hitting balls on the range yesterday I decided to get a club sandwich and some fries with a couple beers....no one called me champ. Hopefully this new diet will lead to better ball striking. Got my fingers crossed. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, bad back said:

Hell ya play em, I don't know Johnny Wow 🙂

Good one.  Its just Johnny!  LOL.

Glad you play them.  The other pics you put up, do you own them?  Those Miura blades are SWEET!

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Found a set on eBay ..Ping Eye 2 3-LW....arrive next Wednesday! Boom!

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

23 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Found a set on eBay ..Ping Eye 2 3-LW....arrive next Wednesday! Boom!

Are they the + no + BeCu ones?

Just regular Eye 2. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Oh... just the regular Ping Eye 2's.  I got both the steel and BeCu and the Copper ones feel and play better to me.

I have a set but don't play them, they look weird at setup. Maybe should give them a spin, it's been awhile.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

50 minutes ago, Vinny Cap said:

Oh... just the regular Ping Eye 2's.  I got both the steel and BeCu and the Copper ones feel and play better to me.

Yeah I like the BeCu look but being left handed they’re harder to come across. I was able to find a set that actually matches my current specs so I went for those. I did find some BeCu left handed but they were black dot and asking $450...so yeah no.

8 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Yeah I like the BeCu look but being left handed they’re harder to come across. I was able to find a set that actually matches my current specs so I went for those. I did find some BeCu left handed but they were black dot and asking $450...so yeah no.

Oh yea, I forgot you were Lefty.  I started as a Lefty but my dad made me switch... glad he did.  Much easier and more variety as a Righty.

$450 is a bit high unless it had the LW.  Around $300 for 3-S for matching SN BeCu is a good deal.

Curious what color dot fits you?

43 minutes ago, Vinny Cap said:

Oh yea, I forgot you were Lefty.  I started as a Lefty but my dad made me switch... glad he did.  Much easier and more variety as a Righty.

$450 is a bit high unless it had the LW.  Around $300 for 3-S for matching SN BeCu is a good deal.

Curious what color dot fits you?

I currently play Ping i500 +1/2” Blue Dot. 

45 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I currently play Ping i500 +1/2” Blue Dot. 

When you guys look for older clubs, do you have to adjust for the change they made (last year? this year?) in what the Ping dots mean?

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

45 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

When you guys look for older clubs, do you have to adjust for the change they made (last year? this year?) in what the Ping dots mean?

Yeah there’s a chart just for that. The color system is bit odd but I believe where blue was once 1* upright it’s now .75*.  There’s a thread somewhere where @iacas asks for some clarity of the color code system. IIRC he was asking regarding Natalie’s  clubs. Sorry I can’t remember where that discussion is.

16 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Yeah there’s a chart just for that. The color system is bit odd but I believe where blue was once 1* upright it’s now .75*.  There’s a thread somewhere where @iacas asks for some clarity of the color code system. IIRC he was asking regarding Natalie’s  clubs. Sorry I can’t remember where that discussion is.

Yeah, I remember reading part of that thread and getting a little confused by it. Like having two different systems but using identical terminology for both, without a “pre” or “post” date to clarify it (or changing to “blue bar” or something to be a little different). Although the golfers who care the most about it would probably know. 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

On 6/22/2011 at 1:39 PM, neurodoc said:

I suspect you're a troll.  I belong to three private clubs, including two of the most exclusive west of the Rockies, and I find that Ping irons are an almost infallible indicator of someone who flat can't play.  I've seen good ballstrikers with Mizunos, Wilsons, Macgregors, Titleists and Powerbilts (In fact, often PB's), but Ping guys hardly ever parachute one close to the pin on one of our slick greens.    I think Ping might appeal to the same type of guy who buys Cadillacs, i.e. someone who never got the memo that BMW's, Audis and Infinitis exist.  Oh well, that's cool, someone has to keep the Chinese economy from imploding.

I’ve been playing pings since my junior year of high school. 1995-1996. I like to believe I don’t fit your stereotype of the “ping guy” but I do agree with you thought of a troll potentially lurking.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

3 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

I believe if you are getting anything before the i5's you will want the old chart.  For the newer stuff go with the new chart.  Plus, its only a place to start.

Edited by Vinny Cap

• Administrator

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't believe that Ping ever manufactured a set of BeCu Plus (no+).  If they did I've never seen a set.  Every set of Ping Eye 2+ BeCu irons that I've seen have the "+" sign in the cavity.  

For those of you who don't know or don't understand, in 1989 Karsten decided to make a significant change to the Ping Eye 2 iron.  Additional weight was added to the toe and the sole in the short irons became more scalloped.  I'm not talking about the type of scallops you eat.  

This particular set also had square grooves.  

After 6 months they had to change the grooves and they put a "+" sign in the cavity.  

I have the set with no + sign.  The best set. 

• 1 year later...
On 6/22/2011 at 9:42 AM, famousdavis said:

I just recently picked up a set of the Ping Eye 2 + no + irons, 3-PW, ZZ-Lite shaft, Red Dot for $89 and Play it Again sports and they were in mint condition.  Barely played.  I went out and shot a 71 with them and that's the best round I've had all year.  I can't explain how wonderful these irons feel.  It's a crisp yet soft feel and the ball just explodes off the face.  The ZZ-Lite shaft is perfect in that it's a stiff shaft, lightweight with a soft feeling tip.  The ball just springs off of the club with a penetrating trajectory.  The best thing about the Ping Eye 2s are the long irons.  I have tried ALL of the irons that come out over the years and there are no long irons that compare.  The 3 iron takes off like a rocket with a medium ball flight and penetrating trajetory.  The pitching wedge is deadly from 70 to 110 yards and there is no need for a gap wedge because the PW is 50.5 degrees.  If you have the means I highly recommend procuring a set.  There is nothing like Ping Eye 2 bliss.

I know you wrote this years ago, as I am new to this site this year but I agree with you 1000000000000%!  haha.  My quick story - I played alot of golf when I was in my 20's and hovered around a 10 handicap.  Fast forward years later, I am 45 and my kids are 17 and 12, so I now have had a lot more time to go.  This past year I got back into golf, as I have always loved it, slightly obsessed I will say!  Anyway, I tried out so many different irons this year, as technology has changed a bit on the past 20 years, but I read up on new and old irons, and the Ping Eye 2 kept coming up, so I figured what the heck.  Got a set or orange dots 3 through w, and man o man!!!  These things are amazing, and my scores went way down.  The irons dont go that far, but the distances are really consistent, which I care way more about, so basically from about 170 in I feel pretty good.  Using a hybrid for anything above like 175 ish, and working out pretty well.  So these irons are really pretty great, and they are 30 years or so old.  After all the irons I messed around with this year, which was alot, nothing even comes close for me, other than some Mizunos I played briefly with.  So now my scores are in the mid to high 70's depending on my approach shots, as I tend to have two or three rough holes I butcher up sometimes for some reason.  Love these dam irons!  

Note: This thread is 1302 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!