IGNORED

Do You Support the PGA's "Tee It Forward" Effort?

lville lefty
Note: This thread is 3549 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Will you support the "Tee It Forward" effort being made by the PGA and USGA?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

Played a course with friends that we rarely play. We made an informed decision to play from 6100 yards instead of 6500 yards. Hdcps from 6-25.

Got to the first tee and could one of the reasons this program is so hard to sell. The 6100 yard tees were way forward of the the 6500 tees -- maybe the biggest gap between them of any hole on the 18. And they seemed too far forward for the hole. I sure wish they would start with a small gap so that the macho guys did not feel that the 6100 yard tees were too far forward. There were plenty of holes where the gap was zero or maybe 15 yards. Why make it 30 - 40 yards on the first tee when guys are deciding what tees are right for their group?

I agree with your comments here.  The golf courses definitely need to take a leadership role in this effort by creating logical differences in the yardage.   I have noticed at many courses the difference in length by hole from one set of tees to another is inconsistent.  Sometimes the difference is less than 10 yards and other holes the difference is 40 to 50 yards.  We are petitioning our course to create a new set of tees to eliminate these huge variances in hopes of getting more people to move up.  At this time moving up a set of tees creates some very short par fours and those holes are preventing many players from accepting the Tee It Forward idea.

My point could have been made better. Let me try again.

When you pull up to the first tee box, it would sell the idea of playing forward if the different tees were closer to each other on the first hole. People would choose based on the overall proper tees and not feel like they were playing super short tees. That first hole has other people watching and it would be easier to move forward if it didn't feel like the "ladies" tees. It takes a strong man top tee off 40 yards forward from the last group on that first hole.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Quote:

When you pull up to the first tee box, it would sell the idea of playing forward if the different tees were closer to each other on the first hole. People would choose based on the overall proper tees and not feel like they were playing super short tees.

I see your point but I think it's just as likely to have the opposite effect: You pull up to the first tee, see how close together the tees are, and say "Since there's so little difference in the tees, we might as well play the tips."  Whereas, having the tees farther apart on the first hole introduces an intimidation factor that helps reinforce the fact that there *is* a yardage difference that people need to be considering.

Of course, ultimately it's the layout of the course and the first hole that determines how far apart the tees can be anyway, so not sure if changes could be made to many courses even if they wanted to.

• Upvote 1

Bill

The starter could tell a group to ignore the yardage difference on the 1st hole (this changes from day to day) and just go by the overall yardage on the score card. Even better, just tell them that the back tees are for single-digit handicaps. Is that you? No, I didn't think so! LOL

:tmade: SLDRs 14* driver, 17* fairway, 19* and 22* hybrids | :odyssey: Versa White #1 putter

:nike: XR Pro 24*, 27*, 31*, 35.5*, 40*, 45*, 50* irons | :vokey: SM4 54*, 58* wedges

Check out PGA website.

http://www.pga.com/pga-america/pga-feature/pga-and-usga-step-new-sets-tees-in-nationwide-tee-it-forward-initiative

Screen shot 2011-07-07 at 5.05.21 PM.png

Source from the above link.

Golf: Agony & Love over 3 Generations

People are too caught up on playing the back tees. Maybe its a macho thing I have no idea. I support the the it forward because maybe it gives these guys the excuse they need to move forward to the proper tee box. Working as a starter at a golf course I see WAY too many 20 somethings stroll back to the back tees only to watch them dribble a ball off the tee box, or worse yet, actually hit the ball solid and see it go 240 yards.

I like that at some courses I have played the starter puts you on a tee box according to your skill level, the golfer doesn't get to choose. One course I played in Michigan once made me show my handicap card to play the back tees. Even after showing my card the starter watched me tee off before he gave me the little placard on my cart that allowed me to play them. At that course the starter puts a colored placard on the windshield of the cart designating which tee box you were allowed to play. Sounds crazy but the course marshals were checking as you played.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My home course is quite short, about 5,900 yards from the whites and just a bit over 6,000 for the blues. The red tees are about 5,100 yards. The older woman and men still complain about the yardages as they just want to go out and have fun so the pro and I went around today as we are going to make new tees. They are going to make each hole between 150 and 220 yards and a couple of the holes we can't move the tees at all on due to uphill holes and such we are going to change them into a par 5. Taking more of an executive course mindset for shorter tees. We figure they will be more for junior golfers and the older members but I plan to play them a bit to work on that short game. My wife and I are going out tomorrow to measure the exact yardages and to see how it all plays.

I play from the whites always.  Is playing from shorter distance tees really improving your game?  You might shoot a better round and feel better about yourself but I like the challenge of the game.  It allows me to play against myself.  How can I know how really good I am unless I play from the proper tees.

This especially holds true if you are trying to get a true handicap so you can compete in tournaments.

I have been harping for years that tee's should NOT be based on gender or age.. It should be based on skill..  Too many golfers insist on playing from a tee box their skill can't meet, this in turn slows down play considerably..  I'm sorry, a man that is unable to hit his drive 190 yards should NOT be hitting off the whites (6300yrds par 72) tees as an example..  However, this is flexable depending if you are alone.. If you wish to play off the "tips" as we call them 7,000 yds par 70, for fun, then do so when NO ONE is behind you.. I don't have a problem with that.. However, once a group comes up from behind, move to your proper tee box based on skill, or let them play through..

Originally Posted by rlambrose

I play from the whites always.  Is playing from shorter distance tees really improving your game?  You might shoot a better round and feel better about yourself but I like the challenge of the game.  It allows me to play against myself.  How can I know how really good I am unless I play from the proper tees.

This especially holds true if you are trying to get a true handicap so you can compete in tournaments.

You still have a *true* handicap playing from shorter tees. That is why there are different course ratings + slope for each set.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Originally Posted by NM Golf

People are too caught up on playing the back tees. Maybe its a macho thing I have no idea. I support the the it forward because maybe it gives these guys the excuse they need to move forward to the proper tee box. Working as a starter at a golf course I see WAY too many 20 somethings stroll back to the back tees only to watch them dribble a ball off the tee box, or worse yet, actually hit the ball solid and see it go 240 yards.

I like that at some courses I have played the starter puts you on a tee box according to your skill level, the golfer doesn't get to choose. One course I played in Michigan once made me show my handicap card to play the back tees. Even after showing my card the starter watched me tee off before he gave me the little placard on my cart that allowed me to play them. At that course the starter puts a colored placard on the windshield of the cart designating which tee box you were allowed to play. Sounds crazy but the course marshals were checking as you played.

I live in Michigan, which course was this?  It must be a long busy course if they decide what tees to play.

I understand and agree with the "tee it forward" idea but like some others have said score cards need to not say "ladies" or "senior" tees.  That has to change everywhere.  I also believe a lot of courses need to change there tee box set up.  For instance, at my home course the blacks and whites are on one box, and then the reds are 30/40 yards up on its own box, and a yellow tee is another 20 or 30 yards up.  I know a lot of courses are crammed for space, but in order for this to work I think the whites, reds, yellows should all be on one box, just make it a long tee box.  I think this will make it more appealing for certain players to play a shorter tee.  When a red tee is on another box most guys will never go up and hit from there, especially on the first tee like some have said.  I think the only tee that should have its own box should be the tips.

i'll keep repeating that wrong tees don't cause slow play...people who couldn't hit it straight if you paid them to cause slow play.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

No argument, but it's takes those "people who couldn't hit it straight if you paid them" even longer to finish a hole if they play from the tips compared to the ladies tees.  I was paired this weekend with two guys that played from the tips, and barely reached my tee box with their drives.  I'm no long hitter by any means, but can hit 230 - 240 yards consistently.  I was on the green in 2 -3 shots (Par 4 / Par 5) where it was taking them 4 - 6 shots.  They kept telling me I was playing from the wrong tee box.

Originally Posted by Paradox

i'll keep repeating that wrong tees don't cause slow play...people who couldn't hit it straight if you paid them to cause slow play.

Joe Paradiso

Yet observation and logic suggest that playing a course that is too long for you, or too hard for you, does slow down play. One can play quickly from tees that are too long but that same person would play quicker from the "correct" tees. One can play slowly from the the "correct" tees and they would play even slower if they changed nothing else about their game except to moved back 500 yards.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

Yet observation and logic suggest that playing a course that is too long for you, or too hard for you, does slow down play. One can play quickly from tees that are too long but that same person would play quicker from the "correct" tees. One can play slowly from the the "correct" tees and they would play even slower if they changed nothing else about their game except to moved back 500 yards.

That right there directly supports Paradox's statement.  As you state, it is clear that playing from longer tees will add some time to a round.  But if you are already a fast player, then it's very unlikely that some added time will translate into "slow play".  In fact, if you are already a fast player, you likely have established behaviors and habits which will prompt you to compensate for the extra play time caused by playing from longer tees, so it's probable that you will break even or nearly break even with regard to the total time of your round.

If, on the other hand, you are already guilty of "slow play" from forward tees, then you will be guilty of slow play from any tees.  You could tee up in the middle of the fairway 100 yards out from the green and still take 5 hours to move around the course.  "Slow Play", as an affliction so to speak, is independent of yardage.

Sasquatch Tour Bag | '09 Burner driver, 10.5* | Speedline F10 3W | Mashie 3H | Viper MS irons, 4-SW | CG15 60* | White Hot XG #7

Originally Posted by newtogolf

No argument, but it's takes those "people who couldn't hit it straight if you paid them" even longer to finish a hole if they play from the tips compared to the ladies tees.  I was paired this weekend with two guys that played from the tips, and barely reached my tee box with their drives.  I'm no long hitter by any means, but can hit 230 - 240 yards consistently.  I was on the green in 2 -3 shots (Par 4 / Par 5) where it was taking them 4 - 6 shots.  They kept telling me I was playing from the wrong tee box.

You're looking at it from the wrong perspective, though.  What I'm suggesting is not about "where" these people play from but whether they should even be on a big course to begin with.  I think the "tee it forward" initiative should be changed to "Skills Enhancement" where instruction and technique are pushed as ways of enjoying golf more.  You could ask 1000 golfers and they would all tell you the best feeling they have is watching that pure shot fly straight to their target and feeling "like a pro".  I think more emphasis should be put on helping newcomers, casual players, and the like learn to be a little better so they aren't taking so many strokes to get around.  More free "10 minute lessons" more "group lesson days" more interaction between club pros and vistors.  That kind of thing.

110 strokes is 110 strokes no matter how far away you play.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Totally agree!  You don't have to be good to play at a good pace.  Just play "ready golf" and play in general would speed up considerably.

In the bag:
Ping G5 Driver 9 degree, Ping G10 3-wood, Nike 3 hybrid, TaylorMade R9 Irons 4-AW, Cleveland CG15 56 and 60 degree wedges, Odyssey 2-ball blade putter

Just like bad swing thoughts, IMO colored (not raciest) tee's are the worst thing for golfers. If you changed out the blue tees for white before a golfer ever teed off I'd be willing to bet that he would play his exact same game from way back...

But I'm a big believer that golf can be played without a driver if you can chip, putt and read greens...

700 Yard Par 5

5 Iron - 205

7 Iron - 180

8 Iron - 160

8 Iron - 160

Putt...

Note: This thread is 3549 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!