IGNORED

Lamkin Crossline vs. GolfPride Tour Velvet

Note: This thread is 4108 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which grip do you prefer?

• Lamkin Crossline
    • Golfpride Tour Velvet

I've always regripped with Tour Velvets, last year I bought a couple of 588's from Cleveland that had grips on them that just felt great from a tackiness and firmness perspective, looking at the pattern it appears more like the Crossline to me. I've also been reading that while they're both great grips, the Crossline seems to last a bit longer. Putting up a poll, wondering what others are thinking about this.
In My Bag:

Taylormade: Superquad 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 'By You' 70-S
Sonartec: SS-07 14.0 Aldila NV 85-S
Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

Wish I could offer an opinion, but I can only add to the question. I play Tour Velvets but have been regripping twice a season even with only playing two or three times a week. Was actually looking at some Crosslines the other day. The pattern seems a little more "aggressive" and the grip a tad firmer. But maybe that's just me. So I too am interested in hearing some opinions of those who have used them.

Jack Waddell
The Sand Trap .com

In My Bag (for now):TaylorMade Burner 9.5 REAX 50 stiffBobby Jones 3W, Fuji TP 26.3 stiffAdams Idea Pro 2, 3, 4 Iron hybrids, Aldila VS Proto stiffAdams Idea Pro Forged 5-PW, TT Black Gold stiffTitleist Vokey 252.08 Tour ChromeTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 58.08...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like the Lamkin. I think they hold up longer than the GP. With golf pride I found I had to regrip more than once a year. I have also found that, at least for me, the lamkin are a tad cheaper.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Lamkin Crossline by far. I like the dual density ones
Driver: SQ 9.5* w/ Aldila NV 65 Stiff
3 Wood: X-Tour 13* w/ Aldila NV 65 Stiff
Irons: 3-PW 695MB w/ True Tempor Dynamic Gold S300
Wedges: Vokey 250.08 Oil Can, 254.10 Oil Can, SM60.08 Tour Chrome
Putter: Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #3

Neither, but forced to choose I would take the Golf Prides. I really don't like the look of the Lamkins, although I don't doubt their grip. Personally I use cord or semi-cord grips but I do put Tour Velvets on any demo clubs I make.

With encouragement from Everardo's post, I'm making the change to Lamkin. I've got some Lamkin Crossline Cords coming later this week. Will post a reaction once the snow here melts.

Jack Waddell
The Sand Trap .com

In My Bag (for now):TaylorMade Burner 9.5 REAX 50 stiffBobby Jones 3W, Fuji TP 26.3 stiffAdams Idea Pro 2, 3, 4 Iron hybrids, Aldila VS Proto stiffAdams Idea Pro Forged 5-PW, TT Black Gold stiffTitleist Vokey 252.08 Tour ChromeTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 58.08...

Neither, i just recently regripped my clubs with winn g8's and they are amazing.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

Neither, i just recently regripped my clubs with winn g8's and they are amazing.

Appreciate the input, I used winn grips once and they lasted all of about 2 months. Report back and let us know if they've improved at all in durability.

In My Bag:

Taylormade: Superquad 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 'By You' 70-S
Sonartec: SS-07 14.0 Aldila NV 85-S
Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

I had the g7's about a year ago and they wore out pretty fast( that is with me playing almost every single day), I put the g8's on at the beginning of this year, and wow...they have held up very well...other than your normal wear which happens on every grip. One feature that I love about the grip as well is the fact that if you play in the rain, it is actually easier to hold on to the club than if you were playing in the dry because the technology in it makes the grip sticky if it is contacted by wetness so it is very easy to hold on to. I personally will never put on another kind of grip with the new g8 technology.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

I had the g7's about a year ago and they wore out pretty fast( that is with me playing almost every single day), I put the g8's on at the beginning of this year, and wow...they have held up very well...other than your normal wear which happens on every grip. One feature that I love about the grip as well is the fact that if you play in the rain, it is actually easier to hold on to the club than if you were playing in the dry because the technology in it makes the grip sticky if it is contacted by wetness so it is very easy to hold on to. I personally will never put on another kind of grip with the new g8 technology.

I hear you and I can understand your attraction to the grips. They are mighty tacky. But to me that tackiness just feels like my glove is made of 70's polyester pants.

I think if you like it, as you do, that's great. For me, the Winn grips just feel too artificial and sticky. I started with leather so I think, for me, the Winn's are a bridge too far. The only other problem I have with them, besides feel, is shape. Every grip manufacturer employs a different taper from butt to taper. To me, Golf Pride are the most extreme being thinnest toward the throat. Lamkin is thicker under the right hand. Winn's seem, to me (hey, this is not scientific, I didn't measure anything) thinner under the left hand and less tapered toward the bottom. But isn't it great we have these choices? In some ways, I wish I could love Winn grips. But I can't. But good for you.

Jack Waddell
The Sand Trap .com

Hey, my first post here....

Voted Lamkins. Tour velvets are good but dont hold up. Truthfully, I just put GripMasters leather grips on my 3-9's and play Lamkins on my wedges. Im some what of a wedge ho so putting an expensive grip on a wedge that might get sold,traded, or sidelined just doesnt make sense to me. GripMasters are amazing.

• 3 months later...
Neither. I'm using a few Winn G8's, but mostly DSI's. And the grips are holding up fine.

When I got my irons, I'd put Lamkin Crosslines--only to have them stripped off and replaced within a week. (They felt that bad.)
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I use GP Tour Velvets on all my irons. They hold up well for me and I'm pretty anal about my grips being in "like new" condition all the time. I definitely lean to the "soft and tacky" camp, I don't care for cord grips at all. I would probably try the Crosslines but they don't seem to make a ribbed version and I prefer ribs on my iron grips (except the GW, LW and SW).

Cost wise, they appear to be about the same to me from my grip sources.

I re-gripped a lot of clubs this winter and spring so I got to see and try quite a few grips.

I re-gripped my wedges with GP DD2 grips, so far I really like them. Definitely soft and almost tacky but I can still feel what the clubheads are telling me on the shot. If they have any kind of durability I think I will like them a lot. The yellow and black coloring is pretty loud, but I guess if you hit a Nike Sumo driver you wouldn't mind too much... I'm hoping they come out with the grips in some different colors.

I also did a couple sets of clubs with GP Dual Durometer grips. I personally don't like them that well, they feel kind of hard to me for rubber composite grips but the friends who I did them for love them.

I did a set of woods with the Winn AVS Dsi grips and they felt really nice, not sure how they will hold up though. I'm building a new driver and I may use this grip on it.

I really like Winn putter grips and re-gripped all my putters with the Excel AVS graphite grips. Kind of understated looks, but they fit my hand and feel great. As Jack stated, they are very soft and sticky but that's what I like in my putter grip.

Heh... I never took count of how many clubs I actually did this year but my re-gripping station definitely got a workout.

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

• Administrator
I use New Decade Multicompounds.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Definetly Golf Pride all the way.

in the bag

Driver: 909D2 9.5° Oban Devotion Shaft

3 Wood: G10 15.5°
Hybrid: 3dx RC 20° Ironwood 

4-PW: MP-57's S300

Wedges: 51° MP-T Black Nickel 56° Vokey Spin Milled 

Putter: Tracy II 35" Iomic Grip 

Ball: Pro V1x

I like the Golf Pride Tour Velvet but admit that they aren't very durable.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I decided to go with oversized grips recently to try and work out some of the woes I've been having with my irons. I went the the GP DD2 grips. Until then I'd been playing with the stock Lamkin Crosslines. I loved the feel of the Lamkins but needed to go up in size, and decided to try the DD2's. I've only hit them on the range, and my glove is wearing out, so I can't give a very good report right now, but they feel good barehanded with a wedge.

What's in my Edge stand bag
G10 10.5*
Z-Steel 3 wood 14.5* 403-AD 18* & 21* Hybrids Burner 09 4-pw DGS300 Z TP 52* & RAC TP Black 56* White Steel 2 Ball SRT 35" Tour B330s

Note: This thread is 4108 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!