IGNORED

"Lets GO!!!!"

BostonSully
Note: This thread is 4655 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

Whats wrong with playing in a cart?  There is a course by me that is almost un walkable due to being super hilly.  I tried it once and I have no desire to repeat that experience again. I like getting a cart on real hot days at other courses as well whats wrong with that?

He's just saying that all things considered you should walk.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Last Friday, me and a buddy got to the fourth hole, which is a straight par 4 with a lake dead in the middle. We look down at the edge of the lake, and see two guys, both with ball catchers, and two or three dogs. I wave them away, and they just stand there looking stupid. I yell "MOVE OUT OF THE WAY!" I mean, they're both right where my drive is going to go. They still do nothing. So I just say whatever, and drive that sucker right out passed them (one of my best drives). I just went around gave 'em a shitty look, and finished the hole with par.

I coulda sworn I left the cart right here......

You know when this situation really sucks...when a pop-up shower catches you on the course!  Guys spending 10-15 minutes looking for balls that are so far in weeds that a mower won't even find them.  Guys who go to every partners ball before ever reaching theirs and they all proceed to top it down the hole 5 or 6 times.

Being bad and ignorant of etiquette/pace of play is a horrible combination.  My dad is just learning the game at 50 so even his best hits don't go far.  He mis-hits a ton of shots but we've NEVER held up a group behind us.  Reason: He plays ready golf and doesn't lolligag.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

When I say refused I mean I asked and they refused. I asked twice do you mind if I play through and was told "we're doing fine" and "wait your turn".

Tell you what though next time I go out I'll walk and you can carry my bag. When it's 100+ outside I'm taking a cart and anyone who thinks otherwise can kiss my A$$. I'll walk when its low 90's upper 80's and below but right now we're in the middle of summer.

Originally Posted by Shorty

A walking foursome is how the game is supposed to be played. A single in a cart has no standing on a golf course. But when you say they "refused" you mean you didn't ask.  You should ask really politely. They would certainly have let you go.

Unless you have a physical disability, what are you doing in a cart anyway?

Driver- TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0 9.5*

Driver- Calaway Diablo 13*HT

Woods- Callaway Diablo 3 FW / Callaway Diablo 5 FW

Hybrids- Callaway Diablo 3 Hybrid / Callaway Diablo 4 Hybrid

Irons- Callaway Diablo Edge 5-PW

Putter- Odyssey White Ice #3

Callaway Warbird Stand Bag

http://Shotly.com

Originally Posted by xlayedoutx

When I say refused I mean I asked and they refused. I asked twice do you mind if I play through and was told "we're doing fine" and "wait your turn".

Tell you what though next time I go out I'll walk and you can carry my bag. When it's 100+ outside I'm taking a cart and anyone who thinks otherwise can kiss my A$$. I'll walk when its low 90's upper 80's and below but right now we're in the middle of summer.

Agreed! And there is no reason those guys should not have let you play through.  The other day I was walking and caught up to a group who obviously started way before me on about the 7th hole.  When I get up to the 10th the guy says "I would let you play through but since we have a cart we will be waiting for you all day".  I proceeded to play 2 more holes waiting over 5 minutes to tee off on each, then just got disgusted and left.

After my experiences a few weeks ago with a hacking twosome holding up the whole front nine, I think it's pretty easy to figure out what you can do. I see that in the majority of complains about slow play, there are few mentions of going to the powers that be for the course. I don't mean the 'Club Pro', because a lot of the time the offenders are all buddy, buddy with him(her) and they'll just have a laugh at your expense while playing gin rummy in the clubhouse. Do as I did and complain to the OWNERS or MANAGERS, and say that you will never return unless they clean up their act. A fairly upscale course that we played should have rangers out there and visibly working the groups along. They should also be willing to refund greens fees for those gross offenders after asking them to leave. Trying to squeeze every last drop of money from people's pockets and cramming too many groups out there doesn't help. Making unrealistic tee-off schedules to achieve this is bad management. The first group that has a slight issue with a lost ball backs up groups for the rest of the day. If the owners get enough complaints about it, and with today's social media (like this forum) complaints can't be kept "in house" and swept under a rug. People who don't return don't spend money at your course. So, if you run across some obvious slow play issues, report it- don't just complain to your buddies or on here. Private Clubs will have some kind of committee to get these things taken care of- A friend of my Father's was black balled for quite awhile for doing the Ball Hunt thing along the fairways- he might be in the middle, but he would walk along the edge in the taller grass and woods hunting. He had the longest ball retriever I've ever seen as well, so any lake was another stopping point on the migration. I saw it first hand on a trip to FL a few years ago. We were guests of his. He did his ball hunt as usual and I was TRYING to get him to pick up the pace. Finally, a Ranger came over to talk to him. He came over to us and said; "Looks like you guys have to pick up the pace a bit" :-O He was warned several times and they finally had enough.

I don't think I would have thought twice about teeing off.  I would also assume they had a reason for leaving

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

That's pretty crazy. If I was the group behind them I believe I'd have just teed off and made them get behind me. Some folks are either oblivious, rude or both.

Originally Posted by x129

I don't think I would have thought twice about teeing off.  I would also assume they had a reason for leaving

They definitely had no reason for leaving.  They went into the clubhouse, bought whatever it was that they buoght, and then rode back out and hit their second shots as if nothing happend.

SQ Dymo 10.5°

Idea Pro A12 3H 20°

710 AP2 5-GW SM4 56/11 60/07

White Hot Sabertooth

Quote:
It isn't enough of a workout to actually do much for physical conditioning anyway

I don't think this is true.  You actually burn nearly as many calories walking as you do running, it just takes you a whole lot longer to do it.  I used a pedo-meter on my regular course walking 18, and it was almost exactly 4.5 miles, which is pretty significant.  I walk 18 holes three times a week (Sat, Wend, Fri) with a speed-cart and I've lost 25 pounds since starting to do that.  Walking a golf course takes four or so hours, so you don't notice it or get winded really, but it definitely does plenty for physical conditioning and weight loss in my opinion.

The first time I walked 18 I was ridiculously tired afterwards.  Now its not that big a deal.  So, I think there is at least some physical conditioning.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by johnclayton1982

I don't think this is true.  You actually burn nearly as many calories walking as you do running, it just takes you a whole lot longer to do it.  I used a pedo-meter on my regular course walking 18, and it was almost exactly 4.5 miles, which is pretty significant.  I walk 18 holes three times a week (Sat, Wend, Fri) with a speed-cart and I've lost 25 pounds since starting to do that.  Walking a golf course takes four or so hours, so you don't notice it or get winded really, but it definitely does plenty for physical conditioning and weight loss in my opinion.

The first time I walked 18 I was ridiculously tired afterwards.  Now its not that big a deal.  So, I think there is at least some physical conditioning.

It's an internet myth that walking is no more health benefit than riding in a cart. Maybe the starter guy should provide his survey data of the BMI of walkers versus riders at his course.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I lost 45lbs last year from just walking our local golf course which is a tough walk. I tend to ride because it's not uncommon to play 36 holes a bunch of times per week as I coach the golf team and over the summer I will play with the kids any time they want to go out. I will walk 9 to 18 but after that I'm in a cart.

I played a round at a course and it was my first time playing. A nice little coastal course, not real high end but in pretty good shape. It wasn't busy at all as I went out earlier in the morning. A nice couple let me by, I was in a cart and so were they and it was just me playing and they waited on a par 3 and let me go through and were very friendly, chatted for a few. That was going into the 5th hole. After that I didn't catch up to anyone until I hit the 13th hole. There was a foursome with a single behind them and then me. I pulled up to the tee as the single was waiting for a VERY slow foursome, walking slowly between the cart and their shots. The single in front of me was having a bad round, easy to tell..lol. We were stuck behind them for about 2 holes and the single in front of me had no urge to play together which is fine, I offered. We get to 15 and the foursome was out about 230 yards and let the single in front of me play through. I got up to the tee and they were still looking for their balls and waved me through. When I got up to the them they said that I need to pair up with him and finish the round because two single on the course is going to cause issues. There was no one behind us for at least 5 holes and no one in front of them at all. It was a part 4 and the other guy they let play through was about 20 yards in front of the green when they told me to just go ahead and hit. I looked at them and said I am not going to hit into him and he had no urge to pair up. They then said if you don't play with him we will call the clubhouse. He left the green and I hit, then said go ahead and call them and moved on. On the next tee the single said to go ahead because he was doing even worse and again I offered to play together and he said that's all right, go ahead. I went ahead and finished my round and the foursome never caught up to the kid behind me either. Went into the clubhouse and the guy in the pro shop asked what happend so I explained the entire situation and he said don't worry about it and hoped it didn't throw my last couple of holes off.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hahaha. Love it xlaye.

Originally Posted by xlayedoutx

Kip

“Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course--the distance between your ears.“ -Bobby Jones

TaylorMade R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* w/Aldila RIP 70-X TaylorMade V-Steel 15* w/MAS Ultralite 65-X Titleist AP2 3-P upright 0.5* w/ Project X 6.0 +1" TaylorMade Rac TP 52* 8* bounce Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54* 11* bounce, 60* 7* bounce Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5

Note: This thread is 4655 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!