Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BostonSully

"Lets GO!!!!"

Note: This thread is 3114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

30 posts / 2127 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Is what I wound up having to yell at someone doing the "grazing buffalo" walking down the fairway of my hole looking for their ball. It was literally 10 minutes that this guy was wondering down our fairway walking back and forth looking for his ball. It was also blatantly obvious that the 10 minute delay to tee off on this hole was due to his groups slow @$$ play.

Of course after I yelled it he tried to wave me on to hit standing exactly 240-260 yds away from the tee dead in the middle of my fairway, to wich I replied "Drop OR somethign! YOU GO!".. He dropped hit and wandered off.

So my question to you sandtrappers is at what point is it appropriate to call out your fellow golfers in such a way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

That is about right for what I would have done. The club pro at our course is not from the area and lives here only over the summer so each Wednesday I am taking him around the county to play all the courses. I also like it cause I get some free golf from him being given a free round for being a pro. We were playing a course last week and we were both having a good round and came up to the 18th hole. Both of us hit good tee shots in the middle of the fairway. We get up to our balls and notice there are five guys on the green. So we figured they were putting out and after a couple of minutes we realized they were practicing their chipping and putting. We gave it a couple of more minutes as we were both starting to get pretty ticked. Finally they moved off just to the side of the green, stood about 15 feet off to the side. He proceeded to hit his shot in the bunker just in front of them and I bladed my shot and then had a bad chip and ended up with a double which put me up to an 83 for the round. We both just lost our focus which was frustrating as we both were playing a solid round. We went in after and talked to the course owner who then went out and ripped the guys a new which we both chuckled over later. I have great patience but that patience goes out the door when people far exceed proper etiquette and rules of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had a twosome in front of me today that on multiable holes I had to wait around 10 mins to tee off.  One of the two was ok. The other didn't walk he strolled to and from the green and to and from his cart. They would tee off and leave just as I approched the box so they never let me play through. I caught up to them on 18 and the stroller looks at me and says " I hope you don't think we were playing slow, it was the group in front of us". I replied back " really? I haven't seen anyone in front of you all day". He just smirked and walked off.

Don't get me wrong I don't mind slow play due to ability, we all have to start somewhere. This guy was just taking his sweet time each shot when he know faster players were behind him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by xlayedoutx

I had a twosome in front of me today that on multiable holes I had to wait around 10 mins to tee off.  One of the two was ok. The other didn't walk he strolled to and from the green and to and from his cart. They would tee off and leave just as I approched the box so they never let me play through. I caught up to them on 18 and the stroller looks at me and says " I hope you don't think we were playing slow, it was the group in front of us". I replied back " really? I haven't seen anyone in front of you all day". He just smirked and walked off.

Don't get me wrong I don't mind slow play due to ability, we all have to start somewhere. This guy was just taking his sweet time each shoot when he know faster players were behind him.


I think you can be bad and still play at a reasonable pace as long as you are playing from the right tee box.  If you are really bad you just have to know when to pick up your ball and move on to the next hole.  I am still a pretty bad player and have shot in the low 100s in just under 3 hours before as a single.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was playing this last Friday and saw something I had never seen before. I was walking down the 4th fairway which is adjacent to the 5th fairway that goes in the opposite direction.  As I walked off the teebox (which is near the clubhouse) I saw two ladies in cart drive behind me and head into the clubhouse, I thought nothing of it as I figured they had finished their round and were just driving in from an odd direction for whatever reason.  Well a few minutes later my cousing who I was golfing with said to me "did you see what they just did?"  I then realized that they had teed off on 5 and while their balls were sitting there had driven into the clubhouse to buy who knows what.  They did this while there were 2 groups backed up on their tee.  I could not believe it, I had never seen such a thing.  I didn't say anything because we were the third group back, but I was pretty appalled by this kind of behavior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by LeftCoast

I was playing this last Friday and saw something I had never seen before. I was walking down the 4th fairway which is adjacent to the 5th fairway that goes in the opposite direction.  As I walked off the teebox (which is near the clubhouse) I saw two ladies in cart drive behind me and head into the clubhouse, I thought nothing of it as I figured they had finished their round and were just driving in from an odd direction for whatever reason.  Well a few minutes later my cousing who I was golfing with said to me "did you see what they just did?"  I then realized that they had teed off on 5 and while their balls were sitting there had driven into the clubhouse to buy who knows what.  They did this while there were 2 groups backed up on their tee.  I could not believe it, I had never seen such a thing.  I didn't say anything because we were the third group back, but I was pretty appalled by this kind of behavior.


Wow.  Maybe they just called it quits or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played the slowest game of my life today due to a walking foursome in front of me. I was by myself in a power cart and they refused to let me play through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whenever I find myself stuck behind a slow group that refuses to let us pass, as much as I want to scream at them until I'm red in the face, I usually make up some BS excuse such as having a doctor's appointment or having dinner with my family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A walking foursome is how the game is supposed to be played. A single in a cart has no standing on a golf course. But when you say they "refused" you mean you didn't ask.  You should ask really politely. They would certainly have let you go.

Unless you have a physical disability, what are you doing in a cart anyway?

Originally Posted by xlayedoutx

Played the slowest game of my life today due to a walking foursome in front of me. I was by myself in a power cart and they refused to let me play through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by LeftCoast

I was playing this last Friday and saw something I had never seen before. I was walking down the 4th fairway which is adjacent to the 5th fairway that goes in the opposite direction.  As I walked off the teebox (which is near the clubhouse) I saw two ladies in cart drive behind me and head into the clubhouse, I thought nothing of it as I figured they had finished their round and were just driving in from an odd direction for whatever reason.  Well a few minutes later my cousing who I was golfing with said to me "did you see what they just did?"  I then realized that they had teed off on 5 and while their balls were sitting there had driven into the clubhouse to buy who knows what.  They did this while there were 2 groups backed up on their tee.  I could not believe it, I had never seen such a thing.  I didn't say anything because we were the third group back, but I was pretty appalled by this kind of behavior.



That's pretty crazy. If I was the group behind them I believe I'd have just teed off and made them get behind me. Some folks are either oblivious, rude or both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played yesterday and came up on a fivesome of really bad golfers, I mean hacking away all over the place. We just took a bogie for the whole and jumped ahead of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by Shorty

A walking foursome is how the game is supposed to be played. A single in a cart has no standing on a golf course. But when you say they "refused" you mean you didn't ask.  You should ask really politely. They would certainly have let you go.

Unless you have a physical disability, what are you doing in a cart anyway?



This is so not true any more.  Maybe down under, it's expected, but just like technology has changed equipment, it's also changed locomotion on the course.  One of our regular groups of players are a dozen or so members of the South Metro Fire District - firefighters who are in top physical condition.  I've only ever seen one of them walk.  The rest all ride, not because they can't walk, but because they spend much of their working time in hard physical labor - either working out or doing equipment maintenance, or fighting fires.

I know quite a few others at the course who have quite physical jobs and who choose to use golf to relax.  It isn't enough of a workout to actually do much for physical conditioning anyway - those who think so are fooling themselves - so why be down on anyone who is there to enjoy playing golf in his own way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lot of threads on slow play and I'd agree it is a problem.  But the primary reason is pretty simple and it is just a lack of consideration of other golfers on the course.  I don't know how to fix it and I thought iacas had some good suggestions on another thread related to slow play and tee selection.  Many of the responses however  seemed to suggest an attitude of "I'm going to do it my way no matter".  So until there is a means to "punish" slow play and/or reward faster play it isn't going to change.  Some people in today's society are just not concerned with others and don't mind inconveniencing them or offending them and they play golf too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by Shorty

A walking foursome is how the game is supposed to be played. A single in a cart has no standing on a golf course. But when you say they "refused" you mean you didn't ask.  You should ask really politely. They would certainly have let you go.

Unless you have a physical disability, what are you doing in a cart anyway?


Whats wrong with playing in a cart?  There is a course by me that is almost un walkable due to being super hilly.  I tried it once and I have no desire to repeat that experience again. I like getting a cart on real hot days at other courses as well whats wrong with that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by Fourputt

This is so not true any more.  Maybe down under, it's expected, but just like technology has changed equipment, it's also changed locomotion on the course.  One of our regular groups of players are a dozen or so members of the South Metro Fire District - firefighters who are in top physical condition.  I've only ever seen one of them walk.  The rest all ride, not because they can't walk, but because they spend much of their working time in hard physical labor - either working out or doing equipment maintenance, or fighting fires.

I know quite a few others at the course who have quite physical jobs and who choose to use golf to relax.  It isn't enough of a workout to actually do much for physical conditioning anyway - those who think so are fooling themselves - so why be down on anyone who is there to enjoy playing golf in his own way?

First you say that they choose to ride to relax, then you say that walking isn't much physical activity.  It is obviously a little more physical activity then most people would like to perform since their is so many riders.  Not only would people do them selfs a one up health wise by walking, but it saves money for them too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 3114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...