IGNORED

A sixsome in front of us.

jetsknicks1
Note: This thread is 4681 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would have lost it on the guy that told me to skip the hole. I don't handle complete disregard for golf ettiquette very well. The one I hate most is when the group in front of you has open holes ahead, and then they go grab a hot dog at the turn and then haul A$$ to the 10th so they can run out in front of you, just when you think you're about to get some breathing room. The fastest they move on any part of the course is from the grille to the 10th tee.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Cut68

I would have lost it on the guy that told me to skip the hole. I don't handle complete disregard for golf ettiquette very well.

My Truly Fair and I play 9 holes in 1:30 easily with nobody holding us up, sometimes even a bit faster.  And we walk without hurrying any shots.  Unless they know us, there is no chance that a group of guys will let us play through, even though we're waiting on every shot, because the primary rule for guy golfers is that women will never be allowed to play through because they're slow.  My experience (and it's considerable) is that woman generally play faster than half the guys on the course, and that includes single digit handicappers in many cases, as they do the Faldo Grind on every shot.  A poor but experienced woman golfer is far faster than a poor but experienced male golfer, almost every time.  A novice female golfer is WAY faster than a novice male and women leagues move like lightning compared with the abominable hackers in your typical league.  A good woman golfer is faster than 90% of the men with comparable skills.  I tried to look it up and couldn't find anything, but without knowing the answer I'd bet a few bucks that the woman tour players average faster rounds than the men's tour players.  (They don't even HAVE a slow play rule, do they?  Never heard it come up that I recall.  Comes up a lot on the PGA tour.)

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

Originally Posted by aschroeger

Are you entitled to a refund for your round in a situation like this?  I've been at a course like this and even though I finished the round I should have left after the front 9.

I would have thought so... Or at least a discount.  Or a rain check.  Or even some sort of apologetic, "I'm sorry, that sucks." of some sort.  Instead, when I get in to the club house and tell the dude why I'm hanging it up after four holes, his response was, "Huh.  Well, have a nice day. *wander off*"

Currently in my bag:  Under Revision

Originally Posted by Travtex

I would have thought so... Or at least a discount.  Or a rain check.  Or even some sort of apologetic, "I'm sorry, that sucks." of some sort.  Instead, when I get in to the club house and tell the dude why I'm hanging it up after four holes, his response was, "Huh.  Well, have a nice day. *wander off*"

This is what really bothered me about the whole situation. I called the clubhouse to ask for a ranger and was told those guys play like that all the time and I should just skip the hole. If you're going to manage/own a golf course you gotta handle things better than that.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Cut68

I would have lost it on the guy that told me to skip the hole. I don't handle complete disregard for golf ettiquette very well. The one I hate most is when the group in front of you has open holes ahead, and then they go grab a hot dog at the turn and then haul A$$ to the 10th so they can run out in front of you, just when you think you're about to get some breathing room. The fastest they move on any part of the course is from the grille to the 10th tee.

I wasn't easy to hold my tounge, but considerin there was 6 of them and only 2 of us, common sense got the best of me.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can understand the frustration as I too try to play single upon occasion.  But I know I'll be held up by others in front of me so I just plan on it.  I use the opportunity to play a couple of balls, or practice my putting/short game or sometimes just  sit under a tree and and "people watch".   But when you're a single you should expect to be held up or maybe get paired with a group that isn't to your liking.  I'll admit however I have never had the experience of trying to play with a falling down drunk and probably would walk off also.

I tried to play a round yesterday that got ridiculous enough that I just gave up and went home after the 4th hole.  Even sucking up the 'Oh well, that stinks, but no refunds' attitude they had about it at the pro shop.  Granted, I'm not the most strident of individuals, maybe throwing a hissy fit would've gotten better results.  Anyway...

I get to the first tee at the same time as another single is teeing up.  I offer to join up with the guy... and he just says no.  He hits his tee shot and walks off down the fairway.  While I'm waiting on him, two guys roll up in a cart, wondering why my playing partner is off without me... I explain, amused, the situation, and they ask to join me.  Sure, cool.  I hit my tee shot.  One of the guys hits his, and the third guy, who by this time it is apparent is snot-slinging drunk, whacks his ball into the lake.  His second tee shot, he actually falls down while hitting it into the lake.  He decides to take a drop.

Anyway, by the time he gets back to the drop area, the single ahead of me is already moving on to the third hole.  I bid my farewells and press on.  Now the antisocial single ahead of me is taking his PGA Analysis Sweet Time, but it doesn't really matter because in front of HIM is a five-some of college dudes who are whacking balls randomly about the course.  About three holes of this, and a couple errant warning shots from the drunk guy behind me buzzing nearby, I call it a day and pack it in.

Butch

I was playing a local muni 9 hole course close to my home on Wednesday. It was a beautiful late morning and I decided to try to run out and play a quick 9 by myself.

As I am new to the game and still have days were golf is a BIG struggle, I tend to ALWAYS lean on the side of accommodations to slowdowns on the course. But anyways, I am playing the round of my life (first birdie eva!) and playing quite fast, about a 1:15 pace. On the 6 hole I caught up to a group of 10 people. Not sure of what was going on, I just observed. Turns out there was a five-some ahead of us (I didn't notice them  because they were tucked in some trees way right of the fairway looking for a ball). This was annoying to me but as I stated I am new to golf and did not want to make a stink about it. When I finally saw the group I realized what was making the group on the tee box so angry. 1 grandpa and 4 YOUNG grand-kids. All playing their own ball, all watching each others shot.

Talking to a group ahead of me I found out that they had asked twice to play through to no avail. No questions asked I joined their group, skipped the hole and finished the round. So my best round ever is an 8 hole round.

The thing that sucks is that they will continue to do this until they start to lose business over it.  Chances are the owner isn't there and might not even realize why business is slipping if it ever even gets that far.  Hopefully you live in an area where you can find some place else to play or else focus a lot on trying to hit the course when it's empty.  I used to play a muni like this all the time and I swear I spent 10 times the energy on trying to hit the course at "the right time" vs playing golf.

Note: This thread is 4681 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!