IGNORED

2016 Olympic Golf: Bigger, Smaller, or the Same as a Major?

Note: This thread is 3570 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How will golf in the olympics compare to a major?

• It will be a bigger event than a major.
    • It will be a smaller less important event than a major.
    • It will be about the same as another major.

Here's my problem with making it an Olympic sport. There are going to be many very good amateurs that will never have a chance simply because pros will be used. The Olympics use to be about sportsmanship and allowing the best amatuers in the world to meet and compete. They have really become a joke. This is my opinion about all the events...not just golf.

I agree, olympics mayble should be exclusivey an amateur only event. Then again, you want the best in the world... quite the predicament. Either way, golf in the Olympics is good for the sport, no doubt about that.

Here's my problem with making it an Olympic sport. There are going to be many very good amateurs that will never have a chance simply because pros will be used. The Olympics use to be about sportsmanship and allowing the best amatuers in the world to meet and compete. They have really become a joke. This is my opinion abouit all the events...not just golf.

Agreed 100%!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Does an amateur even have a chance to qualify or do they just pick the Top60 out of the World rankings to play - whichh would be quite a joke. Anybode got an idea how the qualification process works?

if they can get tiger to play.......which he will.. then it will make them more money. its not about the competition

in his testimonial and follow up interview about it when he appealed to the IOC Tiger said he'd be interested in playing in 2016....from what I remember....

What they should do is have some sort of a team event instead of a 72-hole individual stroke play event. Maybe have a 2-man team from each country playing a match play tournament.

Here's my problem with making it an Olympic sport. There are going to be many very good amateurs that will never have a chance simply because pros will be used. The Olympics use to be about sportsmanship and allowing the best amatuers in the world to meet and compete. They have really become a joke. This is my opinion about all the events...not just golf.

the best amateurs in golf are amateurs in the loosest of terms. How many amateurs can afford to practice golf 6-8 hrs a day and not worry about their job and stuff? Or afford the best coaches? You can apply that to any sport as well.

Did anyone catch the name of the Senior Canadian member?

That’s obliviously the "biggest tool" in the Canadian shed.
just thought it was funny..

They should do olympic trials just like all the other sports. It should be set up like the Ryder cup, or presidents cup where the nations are teams, not individuals.

Excerpts from

miamiherald.com :
The IGF recommended a 72-hole individual stroke-play format for both the men and women, mirroring the standard practice for most pro tours worldwide.

The IGF also recommended a field of 60 players for both the men and women, with participation to be determined by the world rankings. The proposal calls for the top 15 players in the rankings to earn automatic berths, regardless of the number of players from a given country.

Ireland's Padraig Harrington, Norway's Suzann Pettersen, U.S. star Michelle Wie and 16-year-old British Amateur champion Matteo Manassero of Italy all made the trip; while Woods and South Africa's Ernie Els -- competing at the Presidents Cup -- appeared in videos. All of those players except Manassero would currently qualify for the Olympics based on the world rankings.

In such a format - why did they even sent the amateur Manassero to present to the comittee?

Iy has been 60+ years since the Olympics has been played with amatuer only athletes. So the reference about the Olympics being about amatuers competeing with sportmenships hasnt truly been true for many years...

It is more about sportmenship and compitition on a worl stage then anything else IMHO

Excerpts from

World rankings and she will be a pro by 2012.

Myself I just don't get it. Big buisiness had a roll in this for sure. PGA pros have enough on their plate and now in August their going to play in the Olympics?? I can understand the Pro players wanting to compete, but it should be for amatuers only!

Relax folks, this is an event that will take place every four years. Plenty of time for Tiger and Co. to rack up millions during the regular season.

Timing will sure be an issue, though. The Olympics typically take place at the same time as the PGA Championship.

Relax folks, this is an event that will take place every four years. Plenty of time for Tiger and Co. to rack up millions during the regular season.

Yeah I guess it bugs me because I'm old enough to remember watching the Olympics when it was mostly amateurs. Pro's really intered the Olympics with the Dream team. The US could not win in basketball so they let the pro's play....then we killed everyone.

Also this will not do much for golf globaly, as many are saying it will, because the main players will be PGA players. A 60 player field?? If it were amateurs playing it could give folks in developing countries an intrest in the game. If EVERY country that wished could field 2 or 3 players. Like I said thats just my .02

• iacas changed the title to 2016 Olympic Golf: Bigger, Smaller, or the Same as a Major?
Note: This thread is 3570 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!