IGNORED

lower hand at impact = lower spin?

Note: This thread is 3933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Would effectively lowering my hands at impact as opposed to the several inches highr I am now at impact lower spin with the driver? I only have video of a 6 iron but even with it I'm way higher at impact. I tried hitting some with that thought today and hit it solid but I don't know what it would do to spin or launch angle. (hit into net today) I probably average 165 ball speed but my spin is 3500-4k. With lower hands wouldnt that mean i am coming in more shallow? Hogan and Norman were pretty much the same height at impact right? There seems to be some uncertainty about this on several sites. What do y'all think?

Have a look at the Trackman data of PGA pros regarding the angle of attack. What would yours be?

Looking at pro swings, you'll find guys returning to the same and to a higher position.

How do you figure 165 mph ball speed?

Got access to a launch monitor? Then you should get the angle of attack, too. Guessing would be easier that way.

I get my numbers from the local Golfsmith.  They have one of the monitors that takes pictures of the ball.  I don't think that they read the club so swingspeed, AoA, smash are guessed at right?  Ball speed and spin should be fairly accurate.  I usually average between 165-170.  The only way I have ever got spin down was using some dudes custom 6 degree with a crazy xx flex shaft.  But I don't want a driver like that.  I want to fix me.  All I am asking is by dropping my hands would this help?  In theory the plane would be shallower but I don't know what that will do to spin and launch.

• 6 months later...

I do not think lowering hands at impact would really effect spin numbers since thats based more on angle of attack.  All the pro's have lower hands because they maintain proper spine angle and keep their hips from scooting in.   This is a powerful and consistent way to hit the ball.

The only way you can hit the ball when you come in with hands higher (ie: club shaft and left arm in straight line at impact) is by getting taller at the bottom of your swing.   This is why every hacker you see that comes over the top stands up at impact.  And also why GI clubs like your average Taylormade shovel have lie angles 1.5 to 2 degrees more upright than players clubs like Mizzys.

But lets not kid ourselves, almost every golfers hands are little higher....just no way to counter that much centripetal force swinging a club that fast.

I have a tendancy to spin it too much too.  Try giving yourself a little more spine tilt to lower your right shoulder at address.  Usually shaves a few RPMs off

Unfortunately, this information myself, and I hopefully may speak for Erik, Mike and Dave, are unwilling to divulge, because there are certain instructors scouring these forums for information to help certain elite golfers.

Let me put it this way, handle location, club path and numerous other factors CAN AND DO have a huge impact on spin numbers.

James Hirshfield

Tour Professional Golf Coach

@hirshfield <-- Follow me on Twitter!

james@thegolfevolution.com

UK 07939-902455

USA (814) 464-3446

Originally Posted by james_hirshfield

Unfortunately, this information myself, and I hopefully may speak for Erik, Mike and Dave, are unwilling to divulge, because there are certain instructors scouring these forums for information to help certain elite golfers.

Let me put it this way, handle location, club path and numerous other factors CAN AND DO have a huge impact on spin numbers.

So why don't you just throw some jibber-jabber up here? Sean loves jibber-jabber.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

So why don't you just throw some jibber-jabber up here? Sean loves jibber-jabber.

LOL. Glad you understand where I'm coming from. Sorry can't give more details. I guess thats the good stuff to get from personal lessons ;)

James Hirshfield

UK 07939-902455

USA (814) 464-3446

Originally Posted by Rip24

I do not think lowering hands at impact would really effect spin numbers since thats based more on angle of attack.  All the pro's have lower hands because they maintain proper spine angle and keep their hips from scooting in.   This is a powerful and consistent way to hit the ball.

The only way you can hit the ball when you come in with hands higher (ie: club shaft and left arm in straight line at impact) is by getting taller at the bottom of your swing.   This is why every hacker you see that comes over the top stands up at impact.  And also why GI clubs like your average Taylormade shovel have lie angles 1.5 to 2 degrees more upright than players clubs like Mizzys.

But lets not kid ourselves, almost every golfers hands are little higher....just no way to counter that much centripetal force swinging a club that fast.

I have a tendancy to spin it too much too.  Try giving yourself a little more spine tilt to lower your right shoulder at address.  Usually shaves a few RPMs off

Yeah, that centripetal force is hard to overcome.

@ the OP - the only way you're getting lower arms is to bend over more or get longer arms. Which way were you thinking of going?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

There needs to be clarification between the height of the hands relative to where they were at setup.... and the handle RISING or LOWERING during the impact interval, which can happen numerous ways. food for thought.

James Hirshfield

UK 07939-902455

USA (814) 464-3446

LOL. Glad you understand where I'm coming from. Sorry can't give more details. I guess thats the good stuff to get from personal lessons ;)

Yes, not to mention the fact that you actually have to get heavier here to get lighter and jump up and jibber jabber wockey wookie woo hey look a dog with a puffy tail...so you know...yeah.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Quote:

Maybe you can point me to a couple recent threads containing much superfluous "jibber-jabber". Do you see any comments from me? No, you don't. Go throw someone else under the bus.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Maybe you can point me to a couple recent threads containing much superfluous "jibber-jabber". Do you see any comments from me? No, you don't. Go throw someone else under the bus.

LOL, sorry dude. I was talking about Sean Foley, I have no beef with you. For that matter I have no beef with Foley either, just think he's a little goofy. If you scroll up a little higher you'll see an exchange between James and myself, sorry if you missed it.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Wow, I can't believe the above actually happened.

Damn you Foley *shakes fist*

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Quote:

LOL, sorry dude. I was talking about Sean Foley, I have no beef with you. For that matter I have no beef with Foley either, just think he's a little goofy. If you scroll up a little higher you'll see an exchange between James and myself, sorry if you missed it.

Actually a few posts weren't there when I posted. Okay, that makes a gazillion times more sense. I never saw any posts from Foley here and I'd just posted, so I made a connection that wasn't there. And yet, what I said is still accurate. If anyone wants clarification, send me a PM, endhijack/

Actually a few posts weren't there when I posted. Okay, that makes a gazillion times more sense. I never saw any posts from Foley here and I'd just posted, so I made a connection that wasn't there. And yet, what I said is still accurate. If anyone wants clarification, send me a PM, endhijack/

PM sent. Clearly I need some clarification......??????????????

Yours in earnest, Jason.

James, why do you bother posting if you dont want to get in on the discussion.  Congratulations, you screwed up the thread and now we are talking about chewbaca the wookie.  You really think somebody is trolling these message boards for your thoughts on the swing to relay it over to Luke Donald?   What an ego....

Note: This thread is 3933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!