IGNORED

Help with new iron sets! Mizuno, Nike, or Burner?

Note: This thread is 4361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am upgrading from my old clubs which were graphite shafted and womens flex that i began with. I am looking at a few choices.

Nike VR Pro Full Cavs

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/NK1420/Nike/VR_Pro_Cavity_4-AW_Iron_Set_with_Steel_Shafts

Taylormade Burner 2.0

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/TM7950/TaylorMade/Burner_2.0_Iron_Set_4-PW,_GW_with_Steel_Shafts

But after much thinking i was steered toward Mizuno maybe MP 53s. After reading a few reviews i was told these may be hard to hit. I will of course go and demo all of them in store before making my decision but has anyone had experience with the nikes and mizunos? Any other input will help! Thanks.

In My Bag: 

Driver:  R7 460 10.5˚

Woods:  Burner 3 Wood

Hybrids:  Burner 3-Hybrid 19˚ &  Rescue 4-Hybrid 22˚

Irons:  MP-53 3 Iron- Pitching

Wedges:  56˚ &  CG 14 60˚

Putter:  Rossi White Hot XG Mallet

i'm in exactly the same position... flexible, graphite irons that are 15 years old (wilson Ultra TG) and now i've set my sights on the MP 53s!

i realise that people say its harder to hit with, but honestly it didn't seem that much more difficult than my current set... i love the look of them and i'm prepared to get the training required to make the most out of them :D when you hit it well, there's a nice effortless almost gooey feel to it (i'm assuming its the forged factor)

good idea to try them :D

Originally Posted by xr6t

i'm in exactly the same position... flexible, graphite irons that are 15 years old (wilson Ultra TG) and now i've set my sights on the MP 53s!

i realise that people say its harder to hit with, but honestly it didn't seem that much more difficult than my current set... i love the look of them and i'm prepared to get the training required to make the most out of them :D when you hit it well, there's a nice effortless almost gooey feel to it (i'm assuming its the forged factor)

Everything is easy to hit on the range!

Love my Mizuno JPX-800 Pro irons. Easy enough to hit (I was hitting old Fusions) yet the touch and feel of forged. These are my first forged clubs. I did not think I was player enough for Mizunos and may not have been until these clubs came out this year. I'm a Mizuno fan now.

• Upvote 1

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Thank you! I finally feel like someone is in my position too! I am also looking at the MP 53s but I haven't hit them yet. I know people who love them so that's why I'm looking into them. Mizuno makes some really nice and great quality irons so I think I will be good with almost anything I go with from Mizuno. But the Nikes may be the only other competitor to the Mizunos right now... I'm going to play a demo round with the Nikes tonight. I will tell you how it goes!:-D

In My Bag: 

Once I hit, and liked, the JPX-800 Pro's, I tried many other Mizuno models. I found all the MP's did not have enough forgiveness for me. Almost every shot felt awesome with the JPX-800 Pro's and very few were even goo with any of the MP's. I'm not player enough to hit those consistently perfect and I felt that is what they needed. On the other hand, the Pro's felt much better (forged) than their non-Pro brothers (cast). I have no doubt that the MP 53's are great clubs. I'm not enough of an archer for those arrows. Demo the JPX line. I've hit almost everything and never hit anything like them.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I'm currently going through the same process. I am being fitted at the Mizuno retailer next weekend. I really like the look of the MP53's but have pretty much settled on the JPX 800 Pros. My reasoning being if PGA pro Charles Howell III can play JPX pro's then why do I need something more difficult to hit? You are a similar handicap to me so I don't see the point going more difficult to hit than the JPX pro's. It is nice for your ego to see you hit them but in reality why make it more difficult than it needs to be. The JPX pro is more than capable of being playable down to scratch.

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

Originally Posted by k14

I'm currently going through the same process. I am being fitted at the Mizuno retailer next weekend. I really like the look of the MP53's but have pretty much settled on the JPX 800 Pros. My reasoning being if PGA pro Charles Howell III can play JPX pro's then why do I need something more difficult to hit? You are a similar handicap to me so I don't see the point going more difficult to hit than the JPX pro's. It is nice for your ego to see you hit them but in reality why make it more difficult than it needs to be. The JPX pro is more than capable of being playable down to scratch.

Thanks K14 for the suggestion. I am really looking at the MP 53s because they aren't full cavity backs and have that dual muscle technology that i have heard so much about. My handicap is just around yours but I have had the shanks for a few weeks. Anyway I will look into the JPX 800s Thanks! Good luck with the fitting...

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

Once I hit, and liked, the JPX-800 Pro's, I tried many other Mizuno models. I found all the MP's did not have enough forgiveness for me. Almost every shot felt awesome with the JPX-800 Pro's and very few were even goo with any of the MP's. I'm not player enough to hit those consistently perfect and I felt that is what they needed. On the other hand, the Pro's felt much better (forged) than their non-Pro brothers (cast). I have no doubt that the MP 53's are great clubs. I'm not enough of an archer for those arrows. Demo the JPX line. I've hit almost everything and never hit anything like them.

Rustyredcab thanks for your input. I haven't hit the MPs yet but that will definitely affect my decision. I will hot the JPXs and MPs but I'm still hoping the MPs come through because I really like the look of them...Also I never really understood what makes forged so much better than cast? I had cast and that all i've ever known. Anyway thanks guys!

In My Bag: 

Originally Posted by cobras7

Thanks K14 for the suggestion. I am really looking at the MP 53s because they aren't full cavity backs and have that dual muscle technology that i have heard so much about. My handicap is just around yours but I have had the shanks for a few weeks. Anyway I will look into the JPX 800s Thanks! Good luck with the fitting...

Yeah I haven't hit either, only thing I have to compare to is my current 09 burners. So I will see how they feel but unless the 800 pro feels absolutely horrible (highly unlikely) I don't see the point going more "players" when I still have a lot to learn as far as swing goes etc. Having a bit of forgiveness is never going to be a miss. I know currently when I hit the occasional one off the toe with my 8i for instance I will still most likely hit the green, I'll just be 10m short of my target. I am not sure the 53 would do that so why make it harder?

Let us know what you decide after you hit them.

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

JPX-800 Pros... We've all said it a ton of times on here.. These were not even on our radar. You just can't deny the feel and the results you get from these clubs. These are the only clubs I'll need for quite some time.

taylormade.gif R9 460 9.5* Stiff
cobra.gif Baffler 2h
 JPX 800 Pro 4-PW  *New! eBay gamble paid off!*
cleveland.gif CG14 52* /  MP T-10 56* /  callaway.gif Vintage Tour X Wedge 60*

taylormade.gif Spider Ghost /  Z Star Yellow

Okay Guys! I made the decision today! Went to the biggest Golfsmith near me, Pleasanton CA...I hit both of the Mizunos in their in store range facility and both had unbelievable jump off of the club face. The guy who was helping me gave me a 100$ discount because of a sale! I didn't even know it was happening So i got the MP 53 Iron set but with the 100 off they were as much as the JPX-800 Pro and if i didn't like them i got 100 % back for store credit! Nothing bad on this transaction so worst case i can't hit them and I buy the JPXs! Thanks for all the help and i will tell you how it goes at the range! (already got an email from Mizuno and they ship on the 9th!!)

In My Bag: 

• 9 months later...

Anyone ever thought of ordering a combo set between the MP53s and the JPX-800 pro's?  I was thinking of mixing the two to get the best of both sets, getting a 4-7 maybe of the jpx and 8-pw in the 53s for scoring.

Driver: Machspeed Black 9.5  

3 wood:  Insight  

Hybrid:   A4  19 degree

Irons:   CG red 4-PW  

Wedges:   CG12  56 degree and CG10 60 degree

Putter:  White Hot XG Sabertooth

A split set makes a lot of sense with the JPX 800 Pro's.  It looks like the low and scoring irons were designed by two separate groups.

9, G, and P clubs are too GI and out of balance with the rest of the set.

If you need the forgiveness of the wedges your going to find the low irons to be hell.

If you can play the low irons you don't need a clunky wedge.

I split with MP-67's.

"Quick Dorthy....the oil can!"

Note: This thread is 4361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!