IGNORED

Bubba Watson at The French Open

deasy55
Note: This thread is 4654 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If a European golfer went to a monument that honours Americans that had died fighting for their country and had called it "that arch in the middle of the road that I drove in circles around" i'm sure American's would have been appalled. The French certainly were. If you don't know anything about it then don't bloody mention it.

Also Bubba making stuff up "there was no ropes and i'm not used to that" didn't help. No ropes? Every golf competition on the major tours has ropes. Why would he say something so ridiculous to cover up his poor play?

The security was just fine. I certainly haven't heard any other golfer complain about it in the last few decades.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Golfers are athletes, not ambassadors.  They are trained to play golf, not handle diplomatic relationships.  I don't want Bubba, or any other athlete representing our country or society.

Bubba was critical of the security and European tour director which he admitted was lax compared to security in the United States.  Bubba spoke honestly about not wanting to return to France and demonstrated he's not an expert on famous landmarks.  I'm still not seeing what he did so wrong, but to those of you that are insulted and think he's a jerk I think Bubba will be okay if you don't root for him.

There is a positive that has come from this story, and I'm very glad to see it.

At last, a lot of people seem to be seeing Bubba Watsaon for the disgusting fraud that he has obviously always been.

Christina Kim was glad to see that people were finally getting the message too.

In addition to behaving like a prima donna, expecting movie star treatment (which even movie stars should not expect), he now lies about appearance money.

He lied about the conditions at the tournament too, but that's his style. Everything about this player is based on a lie. His stage managed "personality" is PR BS.

Imagine the nightmare of having to walk within 20 yards of spectators. You then lie in an interview and say "There's (sic) no ropes" when the course was fully roped off.

And imagine being asked to actually SHARE a car with some lowly European pro!!  The indignity of it!

Funny how the other players seem to cope, isn't it?

It would seem that lots of previously blinkered fans have finally seen reality. He has been revealed to all for what he really is - to the point where even the other players are glad to see that it has at last happened. It must really irk them that such a jerk unfairly gets a reputation as a folk hero. Compare him to Boo Weekly - who came on the scene at the same time, and is similarly painted as slightly eccentric. But Weekly is clearly a really genuine and lovely person.  The only thing that Watson has that sets him apart form the average yobbo or bogan (Aussie terms, look 'em up if you like) is that he hits it a long way. Wow. And he uses ..wait for it.... a pink shaft!!!!!!!! How out there!!! How confident would you have to be about your masculinity to do that!!??Amazing!

Golfers (particularly professionals) have no responsibility to behave in a friendly way or to laugh or smile on a golf course, but for some reason, there has been a perception that Bubba Watson is a just a fun loving big kid who just loves to go out and "play Bubba golf". If you close your eyes and  think of Bubba Watson, if you can get the Youtube videos out of your head, you only see one thing: a scowling, sullen, cursing, glaring inconsiderate thug with the personality of a fence paling. He is always glaring at photographers and spectators. Watch him on a par 3 teeing off. He'll take a huge hack at the ball and make an enormous hole on the tee (not a divot) and never will he stand on it. He just walks straight off, scowling at someone or swinging his club back and forth like a five year old. Someone else's job to repair it. (Again I'm not talking about divots, which I know don't get repaired on tees).

I have had a bit of a bee in my bonnet about this guy, I know, but I am really glad that the obvious is becoming obvious to more people.  As soon as he arrived on tour, he presented himself clearly as one of the most offensive, miserable, sullen and unfriendly players.  Compare him in interviews to the likes of fine young men like Webb Simpson, Nick Watney, etc. etc.

Lets hope that he does more than release puerile video of himself on a jetski or wearing dungarees to improve his reputation.

If he does, I'm hoping it won't be received with such slavish and sycophantic adulation.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole77 View Post

Wouldn't that be more akin to a Texan knowing what is going on in Georgia?

no. georgia is still part of the united states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg View Post

I hope that's a joke.

yes. i've actually spent time in sweden. beautiful place, even more beautiful women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

I'll bet there isn't a person on the planet who could identify iwo jima if you dropped him/her off in America. But I guess you are talking about the statue.

yes, the memorial. not the geographic location. but somehow i think you knew that already.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vermeer

Shorty, don't sit on the fence tell us how you really feel about Bubba.

OK .Bubba is AWESOME!!!!!!!!

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Journeyman

"He told them to contact his manager. If they had done so, they would have probably gotten their interviews. He is under no obligation to grant interviews outside of the press conference before the tournament. Now, had he said that he will not do an interview because they are a terrible reporter for a crumy newsouce I would agree with you."

Sky Sports contacted his manager well in advance of the week of the French Open, requesting a time suitable for Bubba that week. They received no reply. Three separate appointments were made during the week, but all three were postponed and ultimately canceled.

"Again, how is this disrespect? He was asked if he would return and he said no. If he had said I won't be back because the organizers are crappy, I would agree with you."

Bubba is under contract to play the Scandinavian masters. On Thursday he was actually asked if he would be returning to Europe again. By saying he wasn't, he was either: disrespecting the organisers and sponsors of the Scandinavian Masters, or: unaware that Sweden is in Europe.

Let us not forget, Bubba was being paid a considerable sum to play in the French Open (not speculation, fact.) Sky Sports (and by association European Tour Productions) are the host broadcaster of the tournament. To fail to speak to them prior to the first round is nothing short of a disgrace - no player would refuse CBS or NBC in similar circumstances.

Bubba's primary complaint on Thursday was not private video cameras, but TV cameras (he told two cameramen to '**** Off'). Does he not realise why he gets given a half million dollar watch to wear, or why he has sponsors, or why the game of golf has made him a millionaire?

He has said in the past that he's blessed to be a tour pro, and lucky and privileged to do what he does. I suggest he acts like it at all times and not like a spoilt child.

And we are supposed to believe all of your assertions based on the tremendous credibility you've built up here in . . . one . . . post?

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by turtleback

And we are supposed to believe all of your assertions based on the tremendous credibility you've built up here in . . . one . . . post?

Mr turtleback:

Firstly, thanks for making me feel so welcome to this community. I'm deeply touched.

Secondly, it really doesn't bother me what you believe the credibility of my assertions to be. This thread seems to be full of conjecture and speculation, most of it based on either blind loyalty to Bubba, trans-atlantic bias or second hand 'news reports'.

The fact is, I was there (though this being only my second post, I doubt you'll believe that).

So that said, which of my assertions do you believe to be false?

• Upvote 2

Yeah, can you imagine. You're playing for hundreds of thousands of dollars and probably need to concentrate pretty hard and people are snapping photos in your back swing.

I'd probably be pissed off too.

Don't get the not sharing the car thing - but there's probably something we don't know.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

This behaviour from Bubba is very disappointing.

Also the homesick thing is such a sorry excuse.  There are people who have been away from their homes for months/years...whether it be school, war, building homes in Africa, etc.  To cry about being away from home when you are being paid a handsome amount to show up is VERY childish and shows a gross lack of perspective on his part.

What a joke....

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Everyone is different, he said he missed the United States, not his home.  He plays away from home quite often he prefers to be in the U.S.  As a pro golfer he has the right to choose where he plays and doesn't play.  I seem to remember a few Euro tour players deciding to not be part of the PGA Tour because they didn't want to be away so often, who cares?

I agree that his comments weren't PC, but he didn't commit a crime.  He gave his opinion about how the tournament security was handled, possibly refused to ride with someone he didn't know in a courtesy car and demonstrated a lack of knowledge about France.  If this is what gets people upset these days I think they need to put their big boy pants on and suck it up.

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

This behaviour from Bubba is very disappointing.

Also the homesick thing is such a sorry excuse.  There are people who have been away from their homes for months/years...whether it be school, war, building homes in Africa, etc.  To cry about being away from home when you are being paid a handsome amount to show up is VERY childish and shows a gross lack of perspective on his part.

What a joke....

Joe Paradiso

Everyone is different, he said he missed the United States, not his home.  He plays away from home quite often he prefers to be in the U.S.  As a pro golfer he has the right to choose where he plays and doesn't play.  I seem to remember a few Euro tour players deciding to not be part of the PGA Tour because they didn't want to be away so often, who cares?

I agree that his comments weren't PC, but he didn't commit a crime.  He gave his opinion about how the tournament security was handled, possibly refused to ride with someone he didn't know in a courtesy car and demonstrated a lack of knowledge about France.  If this is what gets people upset these days I think they need to put their big boy pants on and suck it up.

I would maybe agree with you if he wasn't paid $200K to show up.  Like really?  You can't just suck it up for a couple of days before taking your private jet home?  Please....

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I don't think he got paid a dime since he played so poorly.  He wrote on twitter that he didn't get paid, which most here determined was due to the fact that he didn't make the cut.   I agree with you if he walked away with $200K he should shut up and count his money.  He should have kept his opinions to himself regardless, I just don't see why everyone is getting so worked up about his whining.

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

I would maybe agree with you if he wasn't paid $200K to show up.  Like really?  You can't just suck it up for a couple of days before taking your private jet home?  Please....

Joe Paradiso

I don't think he got paid a dime since he played so poorly.  He wrote on twitter that he didn't get paid, which most here determined was due to the fact that he didn't make the cut.   I agree with you if he walked away with $200K he should shut up and count his money.  He should have kept his opinions to himself regardless, I just don't see why everyone is getting so worked up about his whining.

because he disrespected the european tour, the european press, the european player with whom he refused to share a ride, he disrespected the french people, dead french soldiers, and americans who actually do give a damn about the rest of the world all in one fell swoop. if you cannot understand how people could get so upset about his antics, well perhaps you should remain a bubba fan.

Seems like it was a learning experience for all concerned.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I care about the rest of the world, but I didn't assign Bubba the rights to represent me internationally.  Unless people internationally are really uninformed about the U.S. I think they are bright enough to know that Bubba doesn't speak for America.  Seems to me you just like calling out pro golfers and trashing them for whatever reasons you can find.

Originally Posted by senorchipotle

because he disrespected the european tour, the european press, the european player with whom he refused to share a ride, he disrespected the french people, dead french soldiers, and americans who actually do give a damn about the rest of the world all in one fell swoop. if you cannot understand how people could get so upset about his antics, well perhaps you should remain a bubba fan.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

I'm 1/4 French and my wife is 100% French. I told her this story and she said something like, "Who cares?!?".

Exactly. Spoiled professional athlete whines about local food and customs. ZZZZZZZ

• Upvote 2

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Bubba Watson doesn't know how big he really is, I am in Indonesia and follow him and use Ping equipments because of him.  My friends and I stay up all night untill 6 am in the morning just to watch him play golf (it's 12 hour different timezone).

I hope he learns his lessons and come back as a down to earth guy.  Apology accepted, Bubba!

What is in my Audi golf bag:
1. Ping I15 8 degree with Fubuki

2. Miura 15 degree with Fubuki

3. Titleist 18.5 degree with Tour AD

4. Ping G15 21 degree wood

5. Ping G15 23 degree Hybrid

6. Ping S56 P-5 iron with Project X 5.5

7. Miura Wedges with Project X5.5

8. Scotty Cameron Circa 62

9. Titleist Prov1 or Z-Star

Note: This thread is 4654 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!