IGNORED

Bubba Watson at The French Open

deasy55
Note: This thread is 4627 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Golfers are athletes, not ambassadors.  They are trained to play golf, not handle diplomatic relationships.  I don't want Bubba, or any other athlete representing our country or society.

Hi,

I'm sorry if it was not clear, but i was not referring to politics ambassadors but sports ambassadors. They're pros and great athletes, at this level the media impact of what they are doing or saying is huge. A lot of kids are taking them for example, those athletes are representing the spirit of sport.

Thanks

I understood what you said, but don't agree with it.  Athletes, musicians, movie stars are not trained to be diplomats and most don't wish to be role models or ambassadors.  I'm pretty sure the UK wouldn't want Amy Winehouse representing their country or people.   It's foolish for anyone to assume that Bubba represents anything or anyone but himself.

Originally Posted by mlecuni

Hi,

I'm sorry if it was not clear, but i was not referring to politics ambassadors but sports ambassadors. They're pros and great athletes, at this level the media impact of what they are doing or saying is huge. A lot of kids are taking them for example, those athletes are representing the spirit of sport.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I understood what you said, but don't agree with it.  Athletes, musicians, movie stars are not trained to be diplomats and most don't wish to be role models or ambassadors.  I'm pretty sure the UK wouldn't want Amy Winehouse representing their country or people.   It's foolish for anyone to assume that Bubba represents anything or anyone but himself.

Hi,

A lot of people on TV have some communication/marketing agent or communication training. We are in the middle of the problem, some people have a huge media echo not because they have a great attitude but only because they're good in something. May be less interviews for them would be benefit.

bye

Originally Posted by mattshaver

I can drive 8 hours and still be in Texas.

Know how you feel, Matt - I used to have a car like that, too.

I watched some of the 'interviews' Bubba gave post-round and to be honest they were embarrassing - he really didn't do himself any favours. He did come across as somewhat graceless but I've seen worse from pro golfers after a bad round. I don't know for certain whether or not he was paid an appearance fee - but I would be surprised if he wasn't, and also surprised if it wasn't substantial. It is common practice on the European Tour to pay leading golfers appearance fees. On the assumption that he was, then one thinks he could have tried a bit harder to be gracious - and some of his comments were simply hot air, particularly about the cameras.

Having said all that, I think there has been a bit of over-reaction on this thread (and elsewhere). As far as I'm aware, he didn't disgrace himself with any chambermaids in hotels. The biggest damage he has done is to his own reputation and image and, by extension, his marketability - and therefore earning potential.

I think we are giving too much importance and attention to this guy, we should just ignore him to he can go back to reality, after all you don't have to be intelligent to hit a long drive...

For anyone who doubts the refusing to share a courtesy car part of Bubba's exploits in France; I can confirm that this is true.

The player in question was SSP Chowrasia, who, running late popped his head into the car Bubba was already sitting in and asked if he could join him, rather than wait around for the next car.

Bubba's reaction was reportedly less than polite (though I'm sure the anecdotes I've heard have perhaps been exagerated a little).

Anyway, third post now - how's my credibility doing?

Originally Posted by Journeyman

For anyone who doubts the refusing to share a courtesy car part of Bubba's exploits in France; I can confirm that this is true.

The player in question was SSP Chowrasia, who, running late popped his head into the car Bubba was already sitting in and asked if he could join him, rather than wait around for the next car.

Bubba's reaction was reportedly less than polite (though I'm sure the anecdotes I've heard have perhaps been exagerated a little).

Anyway, third post now - how's my credibility doing?

Increasing! :D

Originally Posted by Shorty

I have never understood the popularity of Bubba Watson.

He started off his career as an arrogant, petulant, foolish, negative and whingeing jerk and then puts out a bunch of "awesome" videos, which contrast completely with what you see on the course and suddenly he's an American folk hero.

Bubba Watson is the biggest phony in golf.

I almost vomited a couple of weeks ago when he said he was  "just going to go out and play Bubba golf".

Next time you watch him playing golf - not performing in some cretinous video ("awesome" video) just observe the way he ignores other people and fans on the course and always looks to blame people for his own mistakes. He's an immature pig. And now we have people on this forum blaming ADD and "strange foreign noises" for his selfish and arrogant antics.

But as long as he plays the military, charity and Christian crads, he's got a guaranteed couple of million gullible devotees.

Imagine if this fool was asked to elaborate upon what he though the U.S. military were actually doing.  He just keeps spewing out platitudinous gibberish and people stand back and applaud.

nail meet the head.

I've known Bubba since the Nationwide days and he was bad then and 1000 times worse now.  He is a tall skinny phony.  I posted this on another thread about the biggest jerks on the tour but I think it needs repeating.  There is an unwritten rule at CBS to only show Bubba when they have to.  He has gone from a guy well liked (by at least the CBS crew---producers, field announcers, booth guys....) to a guy they can no longer stand and hate putting on t.v..   Why,  because he has become an out of control arrogant jerk.  And nobody likes arrogant jerks who are out of control. At least I and the guys at CBS don't.

Originally Posted by makaveli

Americans --> Bubba did nothig wrong

Not this American.

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

Ah now he said he will play in them. As he said himself, the only reason he is playing in The Open is because it's a major so he has to

Originally Posted by ET-Taylor

Yeh so bubba will never play in Europe again so he wont ever play in opens or ryder cups in europe.

Originally Posted by ET-Taylor

Yeh so bubba will never play in Europe again so he wont ever play in opens or ryder cups in europe.

He said he is going play in the Open and a few other tournaments he already committed to.

I think Bubba just has trouble controlling emotions on the course and is a little to honest in his interviews.  He always apologizes after when he has time to think about what he said.  I don't think not being able to control your emotions on the golf course makes you a bad person, to me how you treat friends, family, and fans off the course mean a lot more.

Originally Posted by deasy55

Ah now he said he will play in them. As he said himself, the only reason he is playing in The Open is because it's a major so he has to

I was thinking as that would be the stupidist this for a pro golfer to do. not play in the biggest tournament in golf as it is not in the USA.

He treated the fans and fellow players like shit too.
So does that therefore make him a bad person?

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

He said he is going play in the Open and a few other tournaments he already committed to.

I think Bubba just has trouble controlling emotions on the course and is a little to honest in his interviews.  He always apologizes after when he has time to think about what he said.  I don't think not being able to control your emotions on the golf course makes you a bad person, to me how you treat friends, family, and fans off the course mean a lot more.

We get it Deasy, you don't like Bubba.....and no it doesn't make him a bad person.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Making a few comments after a round of golf does not qualify as treating someone like "shit" in my opinion.  And honestly who has not treated someone poorly at some time in their life even if it was not purposely.

He used to be my 2nd favourite player (behind rory). I always rooted for him and often put bets on him. It's disappointing when you find out one of your favourites is a jackass.

We get it Deasy, you don't like Bubba.....and no it doesn't make him a bad person.

Note: This thread is 4627 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!