IGNORED

Martin Kaymer swing changes about to come into effect!

deasy55
Note: This thread is 4668 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm sure I'll get blasted for this opinion.......at the level these guys play they need to have confidence in their ability to work the ball both ways.  I'm sure Kaymer could hit a draw on command before he started tinkering; however, his interview responses indicate that he didn't have overwhelming confidence in his draw.  A player can have a very successful career as a pro golfer playing the ball essentially one direction, but when you're in contention to be the best in the world (like Kaymer) it's pretty necessary to have confidence in your ability to work the ball both ways.

Originally Posted by RichF

is the ability to draw/fade a ball at will an absolute neccessity when playing golf?

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

"Decided to take on a swing change to hit a draw" ....?  That sounds like the disastrous beginning to the end of what was going to be a stellar career.  Why don't these guys develop swings that hit the ball straight and then just open or close the club face a touch?  What am I missing here?

This is exactly what I was thinking.      Seems more controllable than a drastic swing geometry change ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by JayMc

I'm sure I'll get blasted for this opinion.......at the level these guys play they need to have confidence in their ability to work the ball both ways.  I'm sure Kaymer could hit a draw on command before he started tinkering; however, his interview responses indicate that he didn't have overwhelming confidence in his draw.  A player can have a very successful career as a pro golfer playing the ball essentially one direction, but when you're in contention to be the best in the world (like Kaymer) it's pretty necessary to have confidence in your ability to work the ball both ways.

he could hit a draw on command but he wasnt accurate with it. Some would probably majorly over draw or not draw at all

• Administrator

Originally Posted by motteler621

he could hit a draw on command but he wasnt accurate with it. Some would probably majorly over draw or not draw at all

Yep.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

Yep.

I can do that just as well as he did.  Put me on TV.  Now if you ask me to dial it back and put it in play, well, that's why I'm practicing so hard .

My normal shot nowadays is a fade.  Almost invisible with the irons, but with the driver it's about 10 feet or so left to right in the air.  When I'm not swinging well, it looks like Martin's first shot, then the second as I try to get it back under control.  Both of those shots scared me and looked completely unplayable.  I definitely don't want to watch that video again.  Is that actually what his stock shot looks like?

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Augusta is totally unsuited to someone who prefers to play a fade. That's why Nicklaus only won it six times.

Seriously though I suppose the course changes have made it more essential to be able to hit a draw around there. Kaymer IMO has the ability and strength of mind to contend in majors on a consistent basis. A class act.

One of the commentators at the Open said that he had ditched the changes he was trying to make and went back to his old swing. Seems to be working considering he's 1 off the lead.

It was stupid to try and change his natural fade into a natural draw. Learning how to hit a draw consistently when it's required should have been enough. Keep the natural fade.

Note: This thread is 4668 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!