IGNORED

2011 John Deere Classic

motteler621
Note: This thread is 4669 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've never really watched the John Deere Classic in the past, and I've never really even known anything about TPC Deere Run. But I watched some of the 2nd round today and saw all the really low scores...so this must be a fairly easy course. -14 under through only 2 rounds? Don't see that too often. Maybe we'll see a 28-under at the end of the day on Sunday.

"Kindness is more important than wisdom and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom."

Originally Posted by MrElculver2424

I've never really watched the John Deere Classic in the past, and I've never really even known anything about TPC Deere Run. But I watched some of the 2nd round today and saw all the really low scores...so this must be a fairly easy course. -14 under through only 2 rounds? Don't see that too often. Maybe we'll see a 28-under at the end of the day on Sunday.

I doubt it will be that low.

They will trick the course to play gooney golf by Sundays round.

I see that if Stricker three-peats, it'll be only the ninth time this (one player winning the same PGA Tour event; clearly not Stricker's ninth three-peat) has happened since World War II. Does anyone know the list? I only see it referenced on today's tour report ( http://www.pgatour.com/tourreport/?http://tourreport.pgatour.com/2011/07/09/stricker-reluctant-rock-star-at-deere/ ). Here's what I have for the list: Woods at Bay Hill, Buick Invitational, Doral, and two separate three-peats at Bridgestone Invitational. EDIT: And also one three-peat at the Memorial. Nicklaus at Disney Stuart Appleby at Kapalua (TOC) Gene Littler did the same in the 50s for Tournament of Champions. Arnold Palmer had a Phoenix Open three-peat in the early 60s, and the Texas Open same time. Johnny Miller in the 70s did this in Tucson. Tom Watson at the Byron Nelson in '78-80. Does Peter Thomson doing this at the British Open in the 50s count (it's PGA Tour now, was not at the time)? (Sam Snead did this for the West Virginia Open, but that wasn't a PGA Tour event) (Hogan had 4 of 6 U.S. Opens from '48 -'53, but didn't win '49 or '52, so there wasn't a three-peat in there) That's only 8 golfers doing it, not counting Snead, but counting Thomson (who may or may not count). If you count the number of three-peats (but not counting a 4-peat as two), you get 12. So I'm missing something. Any help?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Strick has had this under control for a while now.

As an aside, I had my driver reshafted to the shaft that Stricker uses(the Proforce V2) and it's incredible.

You spoke too soon. Stricker has thrown it away. (Assuming he doesn't do something special/Stanley messes up)

Originally Posted by Tugglife2

Strick has had this under control for a while now.

As an aside, I had my driver reshafted to the shaft that Stricker uses(the Proforce V2) and it's incredible.

The Strickernator does it again :P Aside from him having balls, those were some clutch shots!

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

I had to watch a P2P stream from Spain.

If you were listening and not watching, you'd think that Stricker's last 2 shots weren't any good.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I was there live guys. Followed him all day, he bogied 15 and then the par 3 16 when his ball was stuck in the lip of a bunker. At this point he was 2 down to Stanley walking onto 17. I thought he was going to lose to be honest. Stricker birdied 17 by making this long putt. Walked up to 18 and hit his drive into a bunker on the left. He literally had no stance, ball was way below his feet, water on the entire left edge of the green. He made a great shot from that bunker to about 25 feet off the back of the green onto the fringe pretty far. He putted the ball and somehow it went in the hole and the place went crazy. He won by one with that putt. It was something else to see live. Heres a pic of him walking out of the scorers tent about to get the trophy.

CIMG0063.jpg

CIMG0062.jpg

CIMG0064.jpg

I was watching the end. I turned on the TV and saw Stricker was down by 2 shots with 2 holes to play, and I was thinking, "Why did he have to give the lead up?" Then I saw him make that chip on 17...it was a good chip but still a fairly long putt. At that point I was thinking, "He's not going to make it. He blew it." When he made it I was pumped. I was rooting for him at that point.

Then at 18 when I saw Stanley drive into the trees...I got a little happier. But when Stricker hit his tee shot into the bunker on the left, I thought it was over...all Stanley had to do was make par...at that point, I didn't think Steve Stricker had any chance at making birdie.

Then I watched Stanley miss that par putt...and got really excited. Then I was just hoping for Stricker to make a par to force a playoff. When I saw him aiming directly over the water, I got really worried and nervous, because that's a tough shot to pull off. I thought he would just aim a little short of the green, or the front right of the green. But he hit that and I was really excited when it stopped just over the green. But still, I thought he had no chance to make that putt. I was just hoping the ball would stop within a few feet, hoping for it not to fly by with those fast green conditions.

I saw it go up and over the ridge and onto the green, and I said to myself "It's going in!" because it looked perfectly on line. And in it went and I was fist pumping just like Stricker!

"Kindness is more important than wisdom and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom."

Good job, Strick.  Glad to see him pull through and go birdie-birdie to get the threepeat.  He seems like a good guy; he's on my "hope he wins" list.

Three-peat any tournament is impressive but if there was one tourney I would bet the house on him to win it would be the John Deere. Hopefully he can ride this win to the british open and possibly get his first major.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Note: This thread is 4669 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!