IGNORED

How Far Do You Hit A 5 Iron

Big Don
Note: This thread is 4160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How Far Do You Hit A 5 Iron?

• <140
    • 150-160
    • 160-170
    • 170-180
    • >180

Originally Posted by njcl13

golf distance calculator states off their 5 iron shots there averaging 300 yd drives,and one lad is averaging 340 yd {better than bubba watson} drives,i do not wish to continue such futile an argument

Handicap tells a story about how well you score. Asking someone how far they can hit a ball, assuming a certain level of honesty, only establishes an average based on previous experience and not a calculator. It also doesn't mean that there is great consistency either. It merely means, "about this far."

Some are more honest than others.

But I'm sorry if we don't all have calculators on the course, or a golf gps to average out how far every shot, with every club goes. I am also sorry that we aren't all writing novels about every shot taken with our 5 irons until it is longer than a typical piece of legislation. You're just going to have to deal with averages based on decent shots. :)

Otherwise, following your logic, you should expect that the hack would pull out a 5 iron from 120. Given that he probably hits a duff shot here and there, he will probably duff that 5 there as well as the pitching wedge.... Therefore, using the pitching wedge, or even 9 iron is unwise, as the 5 iron is the right club from 120, because averaging all of his duffs and how seldom he might use his 5 iron would probably create an unusable statistic.

So people estimate how far they can hit based on what they've reached with a certain level of consistency, and not duff shots... since you cannot shape a game of golf around bad shots. You could, I am sure, but expecting improvement would be unreasonable.

Or, we could actually go through each individual 5 iron shot that we can remember.... but then we'd just be beating a dead horse with a stick, wouldn't we.

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

My typical shot, not the average, is 175. Right handed is a bit more. I have hit them 190 in the past, if it's a perfect shot. So, it makes sense that better golfs than me can regularly hit this iron 200 yards or more. There are plenty of people on the ranges where I practice who hit really far with irons. Don't know exactly where they land, but they hit far. Usually, I can see stuff within 175 easily, there are markers, when these folks hit, it's far.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Far enough.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

As of 2 weeks ago, everything went up about 7-8 yards so I am at 187 ish now.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I finally bought a golf GPS and soon I'll be able to say for certain how far they go :)

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

Context is important. The course I play at has been habitually wet this summer with no roll. I play with blades which are unforgiving and crush my yardage with off centre hits. The lofts are traditional so my 7 might be as lofted as a game improvement 8.

Like Stewie and others seem to be saying, everyone has a stock distance which corresponds to the optimum shot. The lower your handicap the more often you pull off that shot.

Once I pull the 5 iron out at 165 I more often than not hit a shot which is within 10 yards of that distance. I'd probably be overestimating if I am on the green 4 times out of 10. Yet, by hitting a consistent distance on the majority of shots, even the least pleasing shots can be pin high albeit chipping from the fringe.

Funny thing is, I find it relatively un-telling with individual club distances for a lot of us. Many times I will outhit my 5 iron with my 6... It seems that the combination of a slightly longer shaft and lower loft makes my 5 iron a bit more difficult for me to strike consistently. While its maximum is clearly longer than my 6, most of the time I am more comfortable with my 6 iron.

So a comfort factor is definitely involved. The 6i is my favorite so it gets more play and my consistency with that club is probably the most solid in the bag.

I'm quite excited to be able to accurately measure club distances... I'm a statistic nut so maybe my mental game will improve as I get more data.... I'm a nerd, I guess.... :p

It doesn't matter if you are a 100 handicap. Statistics are essential. The last thing you want to do is hit a perfectly good shot but it ends up short or long because you didn't know your distance.

• Upvote 1

My 6 iron goes 180 (low average). I then have hybrids.. so...

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

Originally Posted by brgolf

It doesn't matter if you are a 100 handicap. Statistics are essential. The last thing you want to do is hit a perfectly good shot but it ends up short or long because you didn't know your distance.

I quite agree. That is why I bought a GPS unit. For years I've been trying to judge shots unsuccessfully. The sprinkler heads aren't always accurate, and it doesn't make me feel confident. I can feel it when I step up to the ball that I'm not very confident in my club selection not know for sure. So now I'll at least have the right information before I take my shot.

Plus as I track my scores and shots with it I'll be able to know for sure and that bit of confidence is enough for me. Knowing that I'm at 160 and I've gotta pull out the 6 or that I'm at 240 and the hybrid won't quite do it will give me a lot better of a feeling when I step up to the shot.

If only my back would get better I could go play a round...... I'm excited! hehe

I would pull my 5 iron for 170-180 yard shots, or 155 dead into the wind knockdown shot (pulled it off a few times this summer :) )

:
Driver:  MachSpeed Black 10.5 Fukikura Motore Speeder shaft

1Hybrid: VR PRO 15* (replacing my 3wood with this) 

Hybrids:  Baffler 18*, DWS 20*, TWS 23*

5I-GW  Mx-19 

Wedges - 50.08/54.14/58.10 

Putter:iN Craz-e

Ball: Pro V1x or Callaway Tour i(z) 

• 1 month later...
Guys I went to the driving/practice range today and I found after my latest lesson I can 6 out of 10 times get at least 150+ when I slow down and keep my head on the ball, going to play a round on Monday so I hope it stays the same until then, but I'm getting a little excited at the prospects of breaking 100.:-)

R11s driver 

R11s 3 wood

Rescue 11 3  18*

Rescue 11 4  21*

MP-59 5-pw

ATV wedge 54* 60*

Metal-X 2 ball putter

3.0 buggy

DX-3 ball

FLX glove

Shoes

Towel

Oakley antix sunglasses 

solar umbrella 

About 175 but comparisons are not apples to apples because one person's 5 could have a different loft than another persons. I have two 5s, (two sets of clubs) One steel, one graphite. Loft is 25 and 26. The graphite club allows me to hit just over 180 with effort. My 4h is much easier to use, so I tend to go to it for most shots instead of the 5 iron.

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

• 2 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 4160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!