IGNORED

How Far Do You Hit A 5 Iron

Big Don
Note: This thread is 4161 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How Far Do You Hit A 5 Iron?

• <140
    • 150-160
    • 160-170
    • 170-180
    • >180

I average about 190 with the 5i. It is also one of my favourite clubs. I dunno why, I just have a lot of confidence with it. The first hole at one of my home courses is a par 5, and leaves me with 200 yards to the center of the green on my second shot as long as my drive is straight. Most people lay up because there is a deep ravine which you have to carry 160 yards of that. Almost every time I make that shot, its a nice baby fade to front if the green. Love it.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

175-180 carry distance.  25 yards left OR right is the killer rightnow

Cart Bag   910 D2 Driver 10.5*, F10 Hybrid 19*, AP2 712 Irons 3-W  56* and 60*

Custom Shop Junk Yard Dog - Laguna 2

My 5i is my 20-175 club......

Lately it's been 20 more than 175 so I've put a couple of hybrids back in the bag and taken the 4-5 irons out. They work great for a while and then I develop a new flaw.

910 D2 10.5  910F 3w  910H 19*

712 AP1 4-GW  Vokey SM4 54* and 58*

Select Golo  E5

When I was 30, I was hitting my 5 iron about 150-155 yards. Now that I am old and far less flexible, I hit a 5 iron 170-175.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Rams avator AND a (team?) roper?  Why does it seem possible I might you?!

G CSU class of '93. Ag Business. College rodeo dropout. Back to thread...

Cart Bag   910 D2 Driver 10.5*, F10 Hybrid 19*, AP2 712 Irons 3-W  56* and 60*

Custom Shop Junk Yard Dog - Laguna 2

My 5i is my 20-175 club...... Lately it's been 20 more than 175 so I've put a couple of hybrids back in the bag and taken the 4-5 irons out. They work great for a while and then I develop a new flaw.

I tend to pull hook my 5, 4 and 3 irons, when I get good contact. My 5 is anywhere from 120 to 175, and my 6 is about 160. So, I also use my hybrids for 175 to 200 yard distances. I have a much tamer and lower exertion swing now, so it will probably take lots of practice to get the timing and accuracy down before using long irons again.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

185-190

a good hit will carry that far and not go much more, a bad hit will tend to land short of that, but skip forward to still about that.......

Bill - 

Y'know, I've visited this thread a few times & read the replies...and I haven't replied. Until now. Here's my reply -

Who cares?

Now, before I get piled on - "This is a golf forum! We talk about this kind of stuff!' - lemme just say, this is one of the most irrelevant topics I've come across. I mean, why not ask how far I hit, say, a four iron? Or six iron? Why don't you ask me what I shot today?

Oh wait. We got a thread for that.

Okay. Here's my distances -

Driver: 240

3W: 220

3h: 200

7W: 180

5i: 170 (there's your answer, heh)

6i: 160

7i: 150

8i: 140

9i: 130

PW: 120

GW: 100

SW: 80

Note: This thread is 4161 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!