IGNORED

How Far Do You Hit A 5 Iron

Big Don
Note: This thread is 4151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How Far Do You Hit A 5 Iron?

• <140
    • 150-160
    • 160-170
    • 170-180
    • >180

About 180-185

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

I agree, it's just a way for some to compare and for others to feel good about their distances.

To me it's more important to hit your 5i within a certain distance of your target but I probably just feel that way because I can't hit my 5i 200 yards.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Y'know, I've visited this thread a few times & read the replies...and I haven't replied. Until now. Here's my reply -

Who cares?

Now, before I get piled on - "This is a golf forum! We talk about this kind of stuff!' - lemme just say, this is one of the most irrelevant topics I've come across. I mean, why not ask how far I hit, say, a four iron? Or six iron? Why don't you ask me what I shot today?

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I agree, it's just a way for some to compare and for others to feel good about their distances.

To me it's more important to hit your 5i within a certain distance of your target but I probably just feel that way because I can't hit my 5i 200 yards.

I bet if this thread was titled "How close do your hit you 5 iron to the hole?" it wouldn't have 11 pages of responses.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

I bet if this thread was titled "How close do your hit you 5 iron to the hole?" it wouldn't have 11 pages of responses.

If I hit the green with it I'm happy!

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

I hit mine between 185 and 190 - sometimes it goes farther due to conditions and sometimes shorter...but that's obvious of course. Definitely an "aim for the middle of the green club" for me. People seem to get very wrapped up about distances - it's totally pointless. Accuracy trumps distance - period.  As well, most golf courses have between two and three sets of tee's. Hell,  here in Sonoma/Napa many courses have up to 4 or even 5 tee boxes. there is no shame in playing from the front tee's - in fact it sometimes is harder.

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

Y'know, I've visited this thread a few times & read the replies...and I haven't replied. Until now. Here's my reply - Who cares? Now, before I get piled on - "This is a golf forum! We talk about this kind of stuff!' - lemme just say, this is one of the most irrelevant topics I've come across. I mean, why not ask how far I hit, say, a four iron? Or six iron? Why don't you ask me what I shot today? Oh wait. We got a thread for that.  Okay. Here's my distances - Driver: 240 3W: 220 3h: 200 7W: 180 5i: 170 (there's your answer, heh) 6i: 160 7i: 150 8i: 140 9i: 130 PW: 120 GW: 100 SW: 80

With or against the wind? In the rain or not? I just found out today that distance really suffers to the tune of 3 clubs against the wind in light rain. Still fun, though. My son laughed when I came back home and told him I needed a 3 iron to make 160 yards, and of course that all the other clubs were reduced accordingly.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Depends on the day... I could chip it 20 yards... Knock it down and hit it 150... Hit a solid stock smooth one 195... Putt with it... Hit it from 100 yards... Or duff it 5 feet... Which shot would you like?
  • Upvote 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Lately - I choose the 5i for shots between 180 and 190.

But since the title is "How far do you hit it" I have to be honest.  Beginning of the season It's more like 170 in the general direction of the hole and about 30 yards to the right.  So I'm assuming it goes close to 195 in a nice and unintentional curvy path........

But it's really nice when it does hit clean, isn't it?

Bill - 

170 yards.....I'm old.

Driver: Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5* , Aldila RIP’d stiff shaft (60g).

Ping G10 15* Hybrid
Callaway Heavan Wood 19* Hybrid
Putter: T-Line XXIV Tommy Armour

Ping i/3 Irons green dot
Cleveland 60* Lob wedge, Ping 56* Sand wedge, Nike SV Tour Black Satin 52* wedge, Ping 48* wedge.

Ball: TaylorMade

Note: This thread is 4151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!