IGNORED

How Far Do You Hit A 5 Iron

Big Don
Note: This thread is 4133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How Far Do You Hit A 5 Iron?

• <140
    • 150-160
    • 160-170
    • 170-180
    • >180

How far do you hit a 5 iron (carry plus roll)?

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

• Administrator
How far do you hit a 5 iron (carry plus roll)?

185, no roll.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There's no option for mine: 143 yards, plus roll. It isn't less than 140, nor is it 150-160.

I guess the question I then have is, how long did it take you from the time you started to hit properly until the time you got good distance on your clubs?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Last year I was hitting it about 160 on the fly, probably 170 with roll, but in the offseason I've changed my swing and have a lot more clubhead speed now so we'll see what happens!

Ryan
ogio.gif Vision SS Bag:
cleveland.gif Launcher DST 10.5*  taylormade.gif R9 16.5* 4W
taylormade.gif Rescue Dual 19*  taylormade.gif Burner 2.0 4-PW
vokey.gif 250.08, Spin Milled 54.10, and 58.08
yesgolf.gif Callie  bridgestone.gif B330

170 meters = 185.914261 yards

In the summer, in the winter I need a 4 iron to carry that distance..

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

When I used to play Ping Zing2 and Ping I3 I used to hit my 5 iron 180+. The Mizuno's I have seem to have a higher trajectory.

No big deal to me.

It's not the number on the club but on the scorecard.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

Depending on how I strike it between 170-180. Nice easy swing

Taylor Made Burner TP 10.5*
Taylor Made Burner 15*
Taylor Made Burner 19*
Taylor Made Dual 19*
Taylor Made Dual 22*Srixon I-506 5pwSrixon WG 504 56*Callaway X Tour 60*Yes SophiaSrixon Z UR

170- Nice easy controlled swing
180- if I try and nuke it which results in pulls a lot of the time

In the bag:
Driver: Taylor Made 09' Burner 9.5*
Woods: Nicklaus 18* Hybrid
Cobra DWS Baffler Hybrid 20*
Irons: Mizuno MX-200 4-Gw Project x 5.5Wedge: Cleveland Black Pearl CG14 54* & 58*Putter: Scotty Cameron TEI 3 Newport 2Balls: Prov1x

Me.... around 180 yards on average and no roll.

Roll.... I thought we were talking about irons.... don't we usually calculate the carry when dealing with irons?

I can also hit it to 200 yards, but the next day I have problems in rising from bed!

Sometimes, I hit it 205 yards (if we introduce the concept of roll...), yeah, whenever I hit it thin, you should really see how much it rolls... if my ball was able to talk, it will scream: "aargh" for the pain!!!!!

The problem is that unfortunately when I hit those distances, most of the times, the ball goes in a very slightly (just a bit!) different direction from where I actually aimed!!!

In My Bag:
Driver:
Nike SasQuatch 460 9.5 deg - Fujikura Prototype X
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

210? I think you might be de-lofting your club face a bit too much. I hit mine nice and high around 190. Most pros will pull out the 5-iron around 180-200 depending on the pro. Teeing it up on a par 3 is different though. Maybe then around 210 or 220 with a draw.

"Mulligan: invented by an Irishman who wanted to hit one more twenty yard grounder." -Jim Bishop

Trust me...I hit it plenty high!

I believe you... your handicap index speaks by itself.... congratulations!

I actually played with other guys in California who constantly hit their 5 irons around 200-210 (they were getting in two on all the par 5 - 520-550 yards!!!)
In My Bag:
Driver:
Nike SasQuatch 460 9.5 deg - Fujikura Prototype X
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

That's quite a shot longer...you are a club up on most people. That's a nice driver swing too...wait a minute...you wouldn't happen to have a bias towards Nike gear would you?? :)

"Mulligan: invented by an Irishman who wanted to hit one more twenty yard grounder." -Jim Bishop

Note: This thread is 4133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!