IGNORED

How Far Do You Hit A 5 Iron

Big Don
Note: This thread is 4133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How Far Do You Hit A 5 Iron?

• <140
    • 150-160
    • 160-170
    • 170-180
    • >180

A 5 iron is typically 195-205, although I can't remember the last time I hit one without wind in the air.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Location also might effect distance. Its been proven that the closer you are to the equator, the less gravity will effect you. (studies done on the olympics in Mexico).

I don't know the exact yardage for an average shot to be honest... and I really should!!

Might wait till the summer before finding out though, when my average distance increases by about 20-25 yards again

Cobra - Speed Pro 8.5º X-Flex, Speed Pro 13º S-Flex | Mizuno - MP CLK 20º Hybrid, MP-67 DG S300 4-PW | Cleveland - CG10 52º,56º, 60º | Rife - Antigua Island 34"

A lot less than 25 yrs ago

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Uphill 165.....into a wind 155......downhill 185........downwind 195...........out of the rough 170..........off hard pan 205....... 60 degree day 168 : )

Thats a loaded question but my standard, flat lie, no wind, short grass, no elevatioin change, at 4500ft above sea level where I live, straight, no cut or draw, at 85 degree temps........175, or there abouts : ) Lots of things to consider.

Driver Callaway Diablo Edge --- Custom Sonartec 3, 5 and 7 woods made +1" stiff shafts --- Irons 5-L Ping G10 +1" 4.5* upright reg shafts --- ---Putter Tiger Shark

I play it to 185 yards, +/- 5 yards

Hopefully as my swing and ball striking improves, this will be my 195 yard club.

In my Mizuno Aerolite IV Stand Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910D2 (9.5°, RIP Alpha 70S)
Wood: Titleist 910F (15°, RIP Alpha 70S)

Irons: Mizuno MP-68 Irons (3 - PW, C-Taper S+), Mizuno MP-33 2 Iron (C-Taper S+)

Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled (56.11 - Bent to 54°, 60.07 Tour Chrome, C-Taper S+ DSS)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (34")

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

GPS: Garmin Approach g5

Most useful training aids (for me) that I use: Tour Striker Pro 7 Iron, Swingyde, Tour Sticks alignment sticks, Dave Pelz Putting Tutor

The wind here is usually that strong that I do not measure, but in a full swing on 8 out of 10 balls I usually get some consistency.

In these conditions it has more value to have more shots in the bag rather than the longest iron x or driver. I can hit my 5 iron from 100-160+ yards consistently 8 out of 10 balls.

I once played with a 0 handicap player in Luxembourg, and for the first 12 holes he was just owning the very long and hard course we were playing, very long hitter. Then the wind then picked up and his shots were suddenly all over the place. Mind you he stopped playing after 15 maybe because I then had the honour for the first few holes of the afternoon, or perhaps he didn't like my ugly golf. Guess he went to the range to measure his distance.

My advice is keep your distances constant, and have enough of play in your bag to counter all possible conditions. Distance bragging has no relevance when you add up your scorecard.

In my bag:Driver: 910D2, 10.25˚, Aldila RIP, Fairway: 904F, 15˚, YS-6FW+ Stiff, Hybrid: Titleist 910H, Irons: S-58, 4-PW, DG S300, Wedges: Wishon 52˚, 56˚, Putter: Odyssey Black series i 1

Around 205 carry.

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

lol at all the 15+ handicaps who hit there 5 iron 210 yards.... if ya say so

Too funny, I love this site, It always cheers be up!!

Personally I can hit a 5 iron 300 plus yards, but the wind has to be just right and the ball must bounce off the cart path twice and roll out 50 yards (so the grass must be really short too) OK It's really 185 Someone asked what handicap has to do with it. Well the question is how far do you hit a 5 iron, not how far can you. No way a 15+ handicap can expect to hit a 5 iron 205...unless they are a really big boy with fast tempo...that is not going to be many...most couldn't even hit 185 from the fairway, which is a reasonable distance for half the PGA tour pros...

In the Bag

Cobra Amp Cell Pro Black Tie 7M3 Stiff  |  LS Hybrid Kurokage Stiff  |
 Nickent 4DX KBS Hybrid Stiff 3,4  | Cobra S3 Pro 5-PW Project X 5.5  |
 Scratch 53*, 59*  |  Odyssey Backstryke  |  Srixon Z Star

so im 2,400 feet above sea level, and im 18, 5 foot 8 and im hitting an average of 250-280 yards with my 5i. is that good? or am i just hitting it wrong which makes it go farther? also how far do you think i would hit with a 5i at sea level? also dont know my handycap. haha

so im 2,400 feet above sea level, and im 18, 5 foot 8 and im hitting an average of 250-280 yards with my 5i. is that good? or am i just hitting it wrong which makes it go farther?...

You're hitting it wrong...you're supposed to do it on a golf course, not downhill on a paved roadway and counting the bounce/roll down the street in your distance.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My 250+ yard 5-iron looks a lot like a 3-wood. Don't be fooled though, because it's totally a 5-iron.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• 1 year later...
Note: This thread is 4133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!