IGNORED

The 2011 British Open

mcfc_nick
Note:Β This thread is 4649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

I would love to see the R&A; showcase the fabulous golf tradition of Northern Ireland by taking the Open to Portrush or County Down, but I fear that the activity on the last couple of pages demonstrates why that is unlikely to happen.

We don't have the transport infrastructure. Also, unless I overlooked someone- comments were ignorant but not sectarian.

Anyway, this was a brilliant day for Darren Clarke and our local golf. We have some of the best courses in the world so in a way it stands to reason, that despite being a small country- we have produced some of the best players. It's still incredible though.

I am sure the benefits of this win, along with the others will be felt in all quarters. It's not as if these trite differentiations that others have made will not encourage young players from all areas to take up golf regardless of where a border lies.

There are even plenty of people in USA who feel an allegianece to Rory possibly based on his heritage.

Originally Posted by Tiger Spuds

You guys might be waiting a while for an American win if you're relying on guys like DJ. There's some mental issues with him, surely. Has he ever even shot under par on the final day of a Major?

He has no more mental instability than Mickelson, IMO. Β I have no doubt in my mind he will win at least one major in his career. Β I wouldn't say the same for some of the other young Americans (although Ricky Fowler is working towards proving me wrong in that).

Originally Posted by deasy55

I don't think you are getting the point we are trying to make at all.

I didn't understand at least 75% of it .

Originally Posted by Vermeer

Didn't interpret the commentators remarks that he choked on the shot just that it was misfortune visiting him once again in a Major ( I'm viewing this on the BBC)

On the coverage here in America (I don't know what channel it was because I'm watching from a hotel in Vegas), immediately after he hit that shot (or maybe immediately after the hole was over) they showed a montage of his final-round collapses/failures in majors. Β The context of the analysis was that, "he's done it again."

I believe it was Ben Curtis who was saying something to the effect that DJ may be developing a pattern of collapsing in majors. Β That wasn't a collapse. Β Darren Clarke (sp?) won that tournament and DJ came up shot in trying to catch him. Β Yes, a very very poor shot ended his chances, but even if he pulls off that shot he wasn't assured of anything.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Must say I am finding the remarks about Mickelson and DJ tiresome.

DJ has been in contention a few times now in majors. He'll be there again and again. He's going to end up winning eventually. Everyone is a bottler until they win - see McIlroy.

And Tom Watson. He couldn't close out a win in his early years either. Dustin will have a great career.

Originally Posted by brgolf

Must say I am finding the remarks about Mickelson and DJ tiresome.

DJ has been in contention a few times now in majors. He'll be there again and again. He's going to end up winning eventually. Everyone is a bottler until they win - see McIlroy.

It's funny you should imply that just because you are Irish you must therefore understand. You clearly don't. They are not entirely separate countries. For example I am from Northern Ireland and have an Irish passport.

I also see their victories as a marvelous triumph for Northern Ireland but also the Island of Ireland and Irish Golf and if someone prefers to see it as a triumph for British Golf then I don't mind that too as for all the politicial strife the Islands neighbour each other.

I can see you aren't coming at this from a bigotted perspective but come on!

I happen to know a lot of people in the North have Irish passports only because they're cheaper to obtain and because Irish passport holders are perceived to get less hassle than British passport holders while travelling to other countries due to neutrality etc. Regardless, what that has to do with the Republic and the North not being seperate countries, I don't know. Northern Ireland is part of Great Britain, therefore it's seperate to the Republic. For that reason, to me at least, Darren's win is a win for Northern Ireland alone. That's just my view on it, you're entitled to view it as you please.

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Β 

Not trying to jump in the fray, but Northern Ireland is NOT part of Great Britain. It IS part of the United Kingdom. Those are not synonyms. Great Britain is only England, Scotland and Wales. That's why the formal name of the union is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

I was going to point this out earlier, but I thought I had opened the can of worms enough

Originally Posted by ettsn

Not trying to jump in the fray, but Northern Ireland is NOT part of Great Britain. It IS part of the United Kingdom. Those are not synonyms. Great Britain is only England, Scotland and Wales. That's why the formal name of the union is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

• Administrator

It's funny you should imply that just because you are Irish you must therefore understand. You clearly don't. They are not entirely separate countries. For example I am from Northern Ireland and have an Irish passport.

I also see their victories as a marvelous triumph for Northern Ireland but also the Island of Ireland and Irish Golf and if someone prefers to see it as a triumph for British Golf then I don't mind that too as for all the politicial strife the Islands neighbour each other.

The passport thing is a non-starter in my book. Didn't the Good Friday agreements (or whatever it was called) in, what, 1998 or so grant the rights for all Northern Irish to get passports in one or both "regions" - the UK and "Ireland."

It's my understanding that Northern Ireland is politically more "United Kingdom" and geographically (duh) more "Ireland."

I'm not sure I understand why it's a big deal whether he's "Irish" or "UK" or whatever or whatnot. Darren Clarke is from Northern Ireland. Darren Clarke won the British Open (and Rory, and GMac, the U.S. Open)... neither an island nor a king/queen nor a population of people did. It seems silly to me to tell a group of people "you cannot feel proud in this moment." Let people feel proud, happy, and/or patriotic.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Vermeer

Didn't interpret the commentators remarks that he choked on the shot just that it was misfortune visiting him once again in a Major ( I'm viewing this on the BBC)

DJ, in my opinion was pushing for a birdie and played a bad shot.

Congratulations to DC, and commiserations to Phil and Dustin.

Don't know how much of the award ceremony you saw but it was very classy of Phil while waiting for the awards to be presented, put his arm around DC and had a brief heart to heart talk. Amy (hope I spelled that correctly),Phils wife made a point of congratulating DC.

If remember correctly at the ryder cup right after Clarkes wife had passed away they were announcing the players and their wives. Obviously Clarke looked very uncomfortable and Amy Mickelson walked over to Clarke so he wouldn't walk alone. I was very happy to see Clarke win as he does seem like a great person and he appreciates everything about the game.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9Β 

Originally Posted by iacas

The passport thing is a non-starter in my book. Didn't the Good Friday agreements (or whatever it was called) in, what, 1998 or so grant the rights for all Northern Irish to get passports in one or both "regions" - the UK and "Ireland."

It's my understanding that Northern Ireland is politically more "United Kingdom" and geographically (duh) more "Ireland."

I'm not sure I understand why it's a big deal whether he's "Irish" or "UK" or whatever or whatnot. Darren Clarke is from Northern Ireland. Darren Clarke won the British Open (and Rory, and GMac, the U.S. Open)... neither an island nor a king/queen nor a population of people did. It seems silly to me to tell a group of people "you cannot feel proud in this moment." Let people feel proud, happy, and/or patriotic.

It was '99, but yes, after that anyone in the North born after a certain year could apply for an Irish passport.

And I'm not trying to tell anyone else not to feel proud or patriotic etc, but personally , when I watch Clarke or Rory winning one, I don't feel patriotic at all. They might as well be from the States, or South Africa, anywhere. That's just me. If Padraig ever wins another one, unlikely as that is, I'll shout it from the rooftops.

The nonsense that goes on over here is unbelievable. In discussions and on forums everywhere, the first thing that's invariablyΒ mentioned is something along the lines of "The Brits will try to claim him now since he won."Β Ridiculous,Β childishΒ stuff and it goes on all the time .Β That's why I just view them purely as Northern Irish, and that's it, makes things much simpler.

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Β 

It was '99, but yes, after that anyone in the North born after a certain year could apply for an Irish passport.

And I'm not trying to tell anyone else not to feel proud or patriotic etc, but personally, when I watch Clarke or Rory winning one, I don't feel patriotic at all. They might as well be from the States, or South Africa, anywhere. That's just me. If Padraig ever wins another one, unlikely as that is, I'll shout it from the rooftops.

The nonsense that goes on over here is unbelievable. In discussions and on forums everywhere, the first thing that's invariablyΒ mentioned is something along the lines of "The Brits will try to claim him now since he won."Β Ridiculous,Β childishΒ stuff and it goes on all the time.Β That's why I just view them purely as Northern Irish, and that's it, makes things much simpler.

A lot of people don't get there are two Ireland's.

My family is from Ireland, not Northern Ireland. I enjoy seeing guys like Rory and Darren winning - because one of them was 22 and the other 42. But, I am the same as to say if I saw Padraig win, I'd be cheering because that's where my family are from.

:tmade:Β SLDR X-Stiff 12.5Β°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2Β° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

A lot of people don't realise there isn't a country called simplyΒ 'Ireland'. Judging from some of the posts.

What's the correct terminology then? Is the entire island Ireland, while the larger county is ROI, and the smaller one is Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK? I hope that didn't sound smart-assy, I just don't know what the correct terms are.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Correct. The Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. The entire island is Ireland.

Originally Posted by jamo

What's the correct terminology then? Is the entire island Ireland, while the larger county is ROI, and the smaller one is Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK? I hope that didn't sound smart-assy, I just don't know what the correct terms are.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

I looked because I don't like to be wrong. Signed in early 1998, went into effect late 1999.

Originally Posted byΒ Tiger Spuds

And I'm not trying to tell anyone else not to feel proud or patriotic etc, butΒ personally, when I watch Clarke or Rory winning one, I don't feel patriotic at all. They might as well be from the States, or South Africa, anywhere. That's just me. If Padraig ever wins another one, unlikely as that is, I'll shout it from the rooftops.

Please don't confuse me with someone who cares enough about this "claiming" crap to know which side you were on.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

I looked because I don't like to be wrong.

No kidding.

Β 

This is a great win for Northern Ireland,Republic of Ieland,The Island of Ireland,and British, Irish and European golf !!!!

Well done D.Clarke

Originally Posted by N255

This is a great win for Northern Ireland,Republic of Ieland,The Island of Ireland,and British, Irish and European golf !!!!

Well done D.Clarke

And Boston

:tmade:Β SLDR X-Stiff 12.5Β°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2Β° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Note:Β This thread is 4649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!