IGNORED

The 2011 British Open

mcfc_nick
Note: This thread is 4649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pretty un-eventful Open again : no great rounds; no collapses; no final round H2H; crap weather and a complete non-pick for a winner.

This is why The Open is my least favourite of all...it's like, a lottery.

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Yeah they were like that for the 2006 Ryder Cup as well. I got patted down because the metal button in my hat set the machine off

Originally Posted by Taggsy

They were pretty strict at the course and you weren't allowed to bring in mobile phones or cameras. They had airport style security at the gates where you had to put all bags through an xray machine and then be searched via magic wand.

Originally Posted by RichF

Pretty un-eventful Open again: no great rounds; no collapses; no final round H2H; crap weather and a complete non-pick for a winner.

Agreed.

Although I liked seeing Darren Clarke win - everything else was boring.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Quote:

Agreed.

Although I liked seeing Darren Clarke win - everything else was boring.

Mickelson also came out with it: “The hard holes have fair, easy pin placements and the easy holes have ridiculously hard pin placements, so we don’t see too many birdies other than maybe the par-fives, I wish it would be the other way round because then we’d have some birdies and we’d have a lot more bogeys and doubles.

But I don’t set it up. It’s not my job. It’s my job to find an effective way to play it. But the way it’s set up means it will lead to par, par, par, par.”

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

Originally Posted by RichF

Pretty un-eventful Open again: no great rounds; no collapses; no final round H2H; crap weather and a complete non-pick for a winner.

Did you think the U.S. Open was better? At least there was some competition in this until the last few holes. I was glad Rory won the U.S., but it was seriously boring. I agree that it can be a lottery at times, but down the years, the Open has provided some of the most exciting Majors. Think Watson v Nicklaus, or Watson going close in 09.

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

The best Major this year has been the Masters - Sunday was a storm.

Sunday at the US open was boring because it was a runaway ( the tournament didn't really feel like a US Open IMO ) and The Open could of been exciting if Phil wasn't Phil and DJ made some birdies - but it was kinda slow for the last 9 holes. But The Open was better than the US Open no doubt.

Minus Darren's win - the most exciting thing at this years Open was Watson's hole in one.

Originally Posted by Kieran123

The best Major this year has been the Masters - Sunday was a storm.

Sunday at the US open was boring because it was a runaway ( the tournament didn't really feel like a US Open IMO ) and The Open could of been exciting if Phil wasn't Phil and DJ made some birdies - but it was kinda slow for the last 9 holes. But The Open was better than the US Open no doubt.

Minus Darren's win - the most exciting thing at this years Open was Watson's hole in one.

And Rickie's rain suit of course.

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by N255

This is a great win for Northern Ireland,Republic of Ieland,The Island of Ireland,and British, Irish and European golf !!!!

Well done D.Clarke

Well said, it was also a great win for golf in general.

I liked Clarke and was happy to learn more about him as a person and golfer (one of the benefits when a lesser known player is leading).  Phil was not projected to be in Top 10, so seeing him have a shot at winning made it more entertaining to watch for me than the U.S. Open.  I haven't had an opportunity to play a links style course but can see why it causes some guys problems.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This Open was absolutely horrible.  In fact, the last 7 majors have been extremely boring to watch.   It's amazing how much better every single tournament is when Tiger Woods is playing.  I'm fairly certain that Tiger would have won the British Open had he played.

Originally Posted by nellifaith

This Open was absolutely horrible.  In fact, the last 7 majors have been extremely boring to watch.   It's amazing how much better every single tournament is when Tiger Woods is playing.  I'm fairly certain that Tiger would have won the British Open had he played.

I sense a troll. Hennie McBogan?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post

I sense a troll. Hennie McBogan?

Either that or a cart rider.

• Upvote 1

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Trolling troll is trolling. Besides, I don't think Tiger has ever won in those conditions. His 3 Open wins were in relatively calm conditions.

Originally Posted by Tiger Spuds

Did you think the U.S. Open was better? At least there was some competition in this until the last few holes. I was glad Rory won the U.S., but it was seriously boring. I agree that it can be a lottery at times, but down the years, the Open has provided some of the most exciting Majors. Think Watson v Nicklaus, or Watson going close in 09.

What - you mean one of the new up-and-coming players, fresh off a Masters-Meltdown, playing almost perfect golf, shooting at every pin possible and setting tons of records?

Errr.....yeah, I'd say it just about pips it.

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

I would also like to add that Tiger Woods would absolutely have won if he was using Ping Eye 2 irons.  Ping Eye 2 irons are the best irons ever created by any manufacturer in the history of golf club design.  The great thing about the Ping Eye 2 square groove model is the ZZ-Lite shaft.  It delivers a penetrating trajectory coupled with a crisp feel off of the face.  Tiger, Daly, Couples, and all the other greats used Ping Eye 2 irons at one time or another.

I know what website you're from now

I would also like to add that Tiger Woods would absolutely have won if he was using Ping Eye 2 irons.  Ping Eye 2 irons are the best irons ever created by any manufacturer in the history of golf club design.  The great thing about the Ping Eye 2 square groove model is the ZZ-Lite shaft.  It delivers a penetrating trajectory coupled with a crisp feel off of the face.  Tiger, Daly, Couples, and all the other greats used Ping Eye 2 irons at one time or another.

Then they ditched them for better clubs.

Tiger could win with any irons. What has held him back from winning 30 majors so far is his Scotty Cameron putter, WAY OVERRATED. If he just used an Odyssey Sabertooth since they came out, he'd have blown right past Jack. Or I heard a brick on a stick is just as good as SC too.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Note: This thread is 4649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!