IGNORED

Which driver do you use?

hypergolf
Note:Β This thread is 4051 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which brand do you use when it comes to drivers? Pros and Cons.

• Callaway
    • Taylormade
    • Titleist
    • Mizuno
    • Cleveland
    • Nike
    • Bridgestone
    • Srixon
    • Ping
    • Cobra
    • Others (Please specify)

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Ive owned the MX-500, MX-560, MP-600 and currently the MP-630 as well are demoing the MX-700 and JPX-800 and Id rate them as being just as good as any TM, Titleist or Callaway driver.

I have had an MP-600 FT for about 18 months and the current Callaway Octane Tour about 3 months. I have just FLO'd the shaft in the MP last week. I have only hit it a few times since doing that so the jury is still out. The Mizuno probably has better feel and feed back than the Octane, but I put that down to maybe having the superior shaft. But, it certainly keeps up with the Callaway distance wise. The new 910 drivers did not outdo the MP no matter what the guy did to the setup, and I hit them side by side on the range, so I didnt go down the Titleist road. The only reason I have the Callaway is because I was driving the ball bad for a few months (all me, nothing wrong with the club). I tried one at a demo and was smoking it, so of course, I had to buy one and I got a great deal on one second hand. I had a lesson to iron out a few things and Im driving it better than ever. So now, Im going to revive the MP as I think its got the better combination of shaft and head and it goes back in the bag for a practice round this week. Its a very solid driver and agree, Mizuno are under rated when it comes to the driver. I was not overly impressed with the JPX. When I say that I mean it didnt really feel like it was a big improvement on what I already had. The MP sets up great, has a very traditional shape to the head and middled shots result in a penetrating ball flight.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at first i was suprised by the taylormade dominance, but then i remembered they had a pretty awesome gimmick - "the white clubhead"

now not so suprised, i've actually owned the most taylor made drivers of all the drivers ive had...

Originally Posted by inthecup

I am surprised at Taylormade's dominance.

I'm not really surprised that much.... their marketing department certainly earns their salary!Β  Look for the new model with blue neon around the bottom of the head to come out soon!

I started playing with an 11Β° Callaway Diablo Edge, then a 10.5Β° Cleveland HiBore .Β  Then after trying a friends home built Acer driver, I built a couple of my own.Β  I have a 10.5Β° Maltby KE4 with an AXE Xcaliber Tour SL R-flex shaft , and a 12Β° Maltby CT250 with the stock CT250 R-flex shaft.Β  The CT250 is by far my favorite as it is the straightest one I've hit yet.Β  Distance is only slightly, ever so slightly less than the others, not enough to make me want to go back to the others any time soon.Β  I might swap shafts between the two Maltby heads this winter just to see what the AXE shaft is like in the CT250 head.

But, there is one small problem with the possibility of swapping shafts.......Β  I loaned the KE4 to the company owner about a month ago as he wanted to try a lighter driver.Β  I haven't got it back yet, and based on the way he has been bragging about his game lately (he is a 4 HC), I'm not so sure I will ever see it again!

Originally Posted by mymizunosrock

I have had an MP-600 FT for about 18 months and the current Callaway Octane Tour about 3 months. I have just FLO'd the shaft in the MP last week. I have only hit it a few times since doing that so the jury is still out. The Mizuno probably has better feel and feed back than the Octane, but I put that down to maybe having the superior shaft. But, it certainly keeps up with the Callaway distance wise. The new 910 drivers did not outdo the MP no matter what the guy did to the setup, and I hit them side by side on the range, so I didnt go down the Titleist road. The only reason I have the Callaway is because I was driving the ball bad for a few months (all me, nothing wrong with the club). I tried one at a demo and was smoking it, so of course, I had to buy one and I got a great deal on one second hand. I had a lesson to iron out a few things and Im driving it better than ever. So now, Im going to revive the MP as I think its got the better combination of shaft and head and it goes back in the bag for a practice round this week. Its a very solid driver and agree, Mizuno are under rated when it comes to the driver. I was not overly impressed with the JPX. When I say that I mean it didnt really feel like it was a big improvement on what I already had. The MP sets up great, has a very traditional shape to the head and middled shots result in a penetrating ball flight.

Agree.Β  I had the first range session with the MP-630 that I just got and that thing is awesome.Β  Its a improvement from the MP-600 in terms of forgivness and the face is just as hot, IMO.Β  Im not the best driver player in the world (I tend to fight a slice with the driver) but I usually hit a fade or hit it dead straight and with a piercing ballflight with the 630.Β  The thing is a cannon.Β  I think maybe the stiff shaft in the 600 was just a bit much for me.Β  Ive got a reg flex in the 630 and it seems to work much better for me.

Whats in my :sunmountain:Β C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno:Β JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno:Β JPX 850Β 15*, :mizuno:Β JPX-850 19*, :mizuno:Β JPX Fli-Hi #4,Β :mizuno:Β JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno:Β MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland:Β Smart Square BladeΒ and :bridgestone:Β B330-S

Hitting the R11 with the Bassara Griffin shaft like a cannon right now. I was a little hesitant on getting it, but I loved my R11 Ti Fairway wood so I opted to get the driver as well.

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade:Β R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone:Β B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

I play with a 1st generation Nike Sumo2 with stock R-flex shaft. I've tried many other drivers and, while some offer more distance, none offers the consistency of the Sumo2--not even the later generation Dymo2. Confidence at the tee box is critical to my enjoyment of the game, so I don't see myself switching any time soon.

I hit a TaylorMade R580XD S-flex driver. I just this past weekend test drove a Nike Sumo2 with a stiff shaft. I hit it well but could not get the distance out of it I get with my TM. For now I will still roll with my TM....

In my Clutch stand bag:

G15 Driver

G15 4 Wood

Warrior Golf 7 Wood

G15 4-UW

55* Sand & 60* Lob Wedges

Sedona i Putter

Balls

Current Gamer: Nickent 4DX 10.5 Β° (no spec label) with a genuine (non-stock) UST Proforce V2 77g stiff playing at 44.5".

Been in the bag for 2 seasons.

Current Experiment: Ping Rapture 10.5 Β° with a stock Aldila VS Proto 65g stiff playing at 44".

First month of testing...

Was gaming the Powerbilt Air Force One 10.5, getting 225 out of it.

I changed my setup with some lessons from GolfTec and now am using my Cobra S2, 10.5 and am now getting 235 out of it straight down the fairway and changed it from 1.5* closed to Neutral....BTW, My swing speed increased from 87 mpf to 95 mph.

Thanks GolfTec!

Nike SQ 9.5 Dymo2 with stiff shaft.Β  I just seem to hit that sucker long and straight all day.

Driver:Adams 9064LS 9.5 *stiff

3 Wood: Nike VRs

Hybrid: Adams A7 19*

Irons: Nike VRs Pro Cavity 4-AW

Wedges: Nike VR Pro 56'

Putter: Nike Method mc3i1

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

Bag: Ogio Assassin

• 1 year later...

I've tried just about everything, Taylormade Burner Bubble

Yonex

Mizuno

But recently purchased the Wilson DXi Super Lite and may have found the one I'll stick with for a while. As you age the driver gets a little heavier and the Wilson at 269 grams seems to have helped considerably.

I have also tried quite a few drivers over the years, more recently an Taylormade R9 460, 10.5 Β R11 10.5 , R1 10.5, and now the Rocketballz Stage 2, 10.5. Β I still have the R9 460, which is a nice driver imho, with great sound and feel. Β  The Rocketballz Sage 2 is working better than the R1 because of the difference in forgiveness and my Β ~ 90 mph swing speed, and it has a slightly better sound and feel than the R1 to me. Β . Β The RBZ Stage 2 provides a better trajectory at 10.5 than the R1 did at 12, not sure exactly why but that is the way it is. Β  The R1 should make a good driver for someone who is at least close to 100 mph imho, but for an aging 60 year old once a week golfer, something with more forgiveness is what I need at this point. Β  Of course there are other good drivers out there other than Taylormade.

Driver: Taylor Made Β Rocketballz Stage 2
3 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
4 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
Hybrids: Cleveland 20 and 23.5 degree
Irons: Mizuno MP57 5-7, Mizuno MP62 8-9Β Wedges: Mizuno MP62 Pitching Wedge, 49 degree, Β Titleist Vokey SM4 Β 55.13 (bent from 56.14) Sand Wedge, Titleist Vokey SM4 60.10Β Lob wedge

I have recently switched to the 910 d2 from a RBZ driver.. The 910 is the most solid feeling driver out there for me. Love the feeling off the face

I just brought my new baby home yesterday...

The Titleist 913 D2, Diamana D+, 62 Gram, Stiff, Tipped a half inch.

Before that I played the Titleist 910 D2, Aldila RIP Alpha, 60 Gram, stiff.

D: Β  Β  Β Titleist 913 D2 (10.5, Stiff, Diamana D+ 62 / Tipped 1/2 inch)

F: Β  Β  Β TaylorMade RBZ (15.0, 43 inches & 19.0, 42 inches, Fujikura Rombax Type-X, 75S)

H: Β  Β  Β Adams A12 (21 degree, 40 inches, Diamana HY92, Stiff)

I: Β  Β  Β  Β Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 5-PW (KBS Tour, X-Flex, Soft Stepped 1x)

GW: Β  Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 50 (KBS Tour, X-Flex, non-conforming)

SW Β  Β Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56 (bent one degree strong, KBS Tour, Stiff, non-conforming)

LW: Β  Β Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 60 (non-conforming, stock shaft)

P1: Β  Β  Scotty Cameron California Coranado

Note:Β This thread is 4051 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!