IGNORED

Which irons do you use?

hypergolf
Note: This thread is 5581 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you use when it comes to irons? Pros and Cons.

• Callaway
    • Taylormade
    • Titleist
    • Mizuno
    • Cleveland
    • Nike
    • Bridgestone
    • Srixon
    • Ping
    • Cobra
    • Others (Please specify)

Well, I'm not. But I heard they're better than the previous version. Good enough to be the Golf Digest editor's choice.

Be careful about agreeing with GD's Editors Choices. I do believe there is some politics involved and not just club performance.

My Bag

Taylor Made: R580XD, Graffaloy Prototype Comp NT X
Callaway: Hawkeye VFT Pro 13*, Fujikura Vista Pro 70 S
Taylor Made: Rescue Mid TP 16*, Fujikura Vista Pro 90 STop Flite: Tour Grind 3-P, Rifle 5.0Cleveland: CG10 Black Pearl 54*Cleveland: Reg. 485 60*Heavy Putter: B1 malletT...

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're definately righ about that, that's why they end up with so many Callaway picks. But, in this case I personally demoed each of the irons I listed and these were the best fit for myself.

There's no doubting that T/M, as with all the leading manufacturers have great products out, but the new R7 TP irons are worth taking a look at.

Philfest

In My Bag:
Driver: T/M r7 Superquad 460, 10.5, Aldila
Woods: T/M R7 Steel 13 & 15
Irons: T/M R7 TP's (rifled)
Wedge: Cleveland 588 51 & 56
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio
Ball: Bridgestone Blue (less spin)
In The Bag

Driver: FT3 -or- TMTB
Woods: Cobra F-Speed
Hybrids: Cally FT, 3 & 4Irons: T/M R7TP's, W/PX 5.5 Wedge: Cally X-Forged, 52 & 58Putter: S/C Studio II Ballz: T/M Black -or- Prov1X

Be careful about agreeing with GD's Editors Choices. I do believe there is some politics involved and not just club performance.

Yeah, I suspected that but I just don't think the most popular magazine would do that. But who knows?

It is unfortunate if that case is true. To some like me the hot list is used as a guide to purchase new clubs. Of course I've heard that it's best to demo them yourself, but in some countries (like in here) we don't have the privileges to demo the clubs we like. Basically there are no demo clubs available I'm guessing the distributors have some kind of policies on that. There is, however, a golf exhibition twice a year, but clubs availability are limited plus you get to hit only few balls because there's a line behind you waiting for their turn. Ironic but it's true. I bought my irons (Fusion) because the good reviews I read on many websites and magazine including GD. Frankly, I hadn't demoed the irons prior to my purchase. Fortunately, everything had gone perfect and Fusion has really been to my liking ever since. It doesn't surprise me at all if Fusion has been awarded with Gold Medal 3 years in a row. It's just that good - at least for me. GD has vast resources to rate all clubs out there. They have the manpower, the time, the equipments - all kind of shafts & heads, and most importantly - the reputation. So probably, the politic is in "Editor's Choice", like you said you know. All Gold and Silver Medal are rated appropriately, but not the Editor's Choice. Who knows?
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

I was using Nike Slingshot Tour irons but I now have Mizuno MX-25 irons. I never thought I would care about the difference in feel between cast and forged irons. That changed when I hit the MX-25!

Scott
Driver: Nike Dymo² Str8-Fit 9.5° UST AXIV Core 69 Stiff
3 Wood: Nike Sumo² 3 Wood 15° Aldila VS Proto 65 Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 3/R 20° DGS300
Irons: Titleist AP2 3-PW PX 5.5 (+ 1/2" and 2° upright)
Wedge: Titleist Vokey Design 200 Series 52°/8° Wedge: Titleist Vokey...

Presently using Mizuno MP30 - replaced in the Mizuno line up by MP60's.

I choose them because of . . .

1. FEEL
2. FEEDBACK
3. BALANCE OF FORGIVENESS & SHOTSHAPING

J.P.

Bridgestone J33 10.5* Fujikura Rombax w
Bridgestone J33 15* Fujikura Zcom tw74
Tour Edge XCG 18* 3 hybrid Mizuno MP30 4-PW DG S300Vokey SM 52 bent 51Vokey Spin Milled 56 & 60Cameron Newport BchBridgestone B330s

Taylormade rac ht 3-pw stiff
Love'em easy to use!

TITLEIST 909 D2 10.5* VOODOO STIFF FLEX
TAYLORMADE R9 TP 3 WOOD STIFF FLEX
COBRA BAFFLER PRO 19* STIFF FLEX
TITLEIST 695MB 3-PW STIFF FLEX
TITLEIST VOKEY BLACK NICKEL 52*TITLEIST VOKEY SPIN MILLED 56.10 & 60.04SCOTTY CAMERON 2.6 NEWPORT PUTTERCALLAWAY TOUR IX GOLF BALLTAYLORMADE R7 TP TOUR BAGC...

I'm a Titleist kinda guy. They treat me right.

907D2 9.5º Proforce V2 85 Stiff
904F 15º stiff Speeder Shaft
735.CM Chrome 2-P
Spin-Milled Vokeys Tour Chrome 54.10/60.04
Studio Style Newport 2.5 Black X66 Stand Bag Pro V1

Can't fault Mizuno irons (see signature). I have had them nearly twelve months and have dropped 6 shots. I think I can put that down to improved accuracy in the fairway and more confidence over the ball.

R580XD 10.5*
Orlimar Trimetal 13* 3 wood Adila NV
Fli Hi 18* Dynalite S300
MP-30 3-PW S300
MP Raw 53* Vokey Oilcan 256-06 Anser 2 BeCu One Black

I am currently using the Top Flite Tours. I have had them in play for about 6 years. However, the wife just gave me the nod top get new irons. I am leaning towards the Titleist 775CB, but I will be doing some serrious comparison work next week. Any input? I'm a 17 but I expect to play/practice more this year.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Adams Gt2 tightlies

In My Callaway Golf Bag:

Driver: BB 454 8* Aldila nv65s
Fairway Wood: 3&5 Sport Stiff
Hybrid: Nicklaus 21* Himax4- PW: GT2 Tightlies StiffSW: 588 GunLW: 588 GunPutter: OZ T100Bite Men's Golf AC II Golf Shoe Top Flite ballGrey Goose Mini's

I had some knock offs but I sold my truck and the guy asked for them and I gave them to him. They were my Pops clubs and it was time for some real sticks. Now I am debating b/t X-20's(not the tour model) and the 2006 big bertha's. Any suggestions for Clubless in Alexandria?

Driver:TaylorMade R580 XD Stiff
3 Wood:Wilson FY-brid 15*
Hybrid:Adams A3 Boxer # 3
Irons:Titleist Square Toe 4
Irons:Callaway X-20 5-PWWedges:Adams Tight Lies GT SWPutter: Ping Anser 2Ball: Wilson Ultra or Precept Lady IQ180 or Bridgestone e6+

I used to use Pings, but I just bought a set of Taylormade R7s and can't wait to put them in play! They feel good, but I want it to warm up more than anything!

Ryan
ogio.gif Vision SS Bag:
cleveland.gif Launcher DST 10.5*  taylormade.gif R9 16.5* 4W
taylormade.gif Rescue Dual 19*  taylormade.gif Burner 2.0 4-PW
vokey.gif 250.08, Spin Milled 54.10, and 58.08
yesgolf.gif Callie  bridgestone.gif B330

I use Mastergrip irons. I do not think alot of people have heard of them. I never had either until my step dad told me about them.

Hogan Apex blades, even though I'm not good enough for them. Someday I will be though.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

I had been playing Golfsmith Forged Blades with DG Sensicore shafts, and I really liked them.

Then, I picked up a brand new set of TaylorMade Rac HT's and matching TaylorMade stand bag for a total of $2.64. Bought two tickets in the penny lottery at the course, and hit it!

Well, as much as I love this game and its history, I ain't going back to blades. Sorry.

These things are sweet!

I had been playing Golfsmith Forged Blades with DG Sensicore shafts, and I really liked them.

$2.64? That's a pretty good deal. In fact, you could have paid 100 times as much and still been way ahead.

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Note: This thread is 5581 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!