IGNORED

Which irons do you use?

hypergolf
Note: This thread is 5585 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you use when it comes to irons? Pros and Cons.

• Callaway
    • Taylormade
    • Titleist
    • Mizuno
    • Cleveland
    • Nike
    • Bridgestone
    • Srixon
    • Ping
    • Cobra
    • Others (Please specify)

• Administrator
OK. I'm getting ready to make my life altering descision. I'm going to order my new irons in the next week or two. I was pretty set on the Titleist 775cb until I went to Golfsmith and did a Hot Stix sesion. They have you hit about 20 shots with a monitor and get a fel for your game. After that they reccomend the irons that are best for you. The Titleists were nowhere to be found. I asked the guy about them and he didn't think they would be right for me either. Even though they are more expensive than all the others that came up, he didn't try to get me to but them. That actually impressed me a little. The two that came up at the top of the list were the TaylorMade r7 and the Callaway X-20. The Mizuno MX 25 was also on the list. Normally I could just hit a dozen balls with each and pick the best. The problem is, I play +1" and 2 degrees upright. They don't have demos of those clubs in that size. Anyone out there playing these irons that has feed back? All 3 sets had perfect 5 Star feedback on Golfsmith's website.

This isn't to say that you didn't get great advice, but just because a club costs more doesn't mean it has the same profit margin or incentives for someone to push it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't to say that you didn't get great advice, but just because a club costs more doesn't mean it has the same profit margin or incentives for someone to push it.

Great point. I still have not ruled out the 775's. One big selling point for me will be if I can replace a 3 Iron for a Gap Wedge or even a Hybrid.

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

OK...I just came back from hitting some of the clubs I have been thinking about. I went to a place that has them in +1" and 2 degrees upright. The X-20's and r7's both felt good, with the nod going to the r7's. However, I also hit the Titleist 775's and they felt better than both the TaylorMades and the Callaways. I also tended to hit more of a draw with them than the other two that clearly wanted to fade. I will have to go back and do it again to make sure it wasn't just a fluke, but the Titleists just jumped back into the lead. Now I just need to get back in there in a couple days and hit some along with my own irons to do a true comparison. I forgot how complicated this whole process is.
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Great point. I still have not ruled out the 775's. One big selling point for me will be if I can replace a 3 Iron for a Gap Wedge or even a Hybrid.

The 775s have a 52 degree gap wedge. I have this club and like it very much. When I purchased my set, I already had a 7 wood which replaced a 3 iron. I also had previously replaced my 4 iron with a 23 degree hybrid. I ordered my 775 set configured this way: 5 iron through PW and GW. At the same time, I bought a Vokey Spin Mill 56.14 sand wedge in the same shaft as the 775s: the NS Pro. Because I am so pleased with my performance with my 23 degree hybrid, I am considering the replacement of the 5 iron with the hybrid equivalent ( which, for me, would be the Cobra Baffler-- the new version ). Good luck in your quest.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

The 775s have a 52 degree gap wedge. I have this club and like it very much. When I purchased my set, I already had a 7 wood which replaced a 3 iron. I also had previously replaced my 4 iron with a 23 degree hybrid. I ordered my 775 set configured this way: 5 iron through PW and GW. At the same time, I bought a Vokey Spin Mill 56.14 sand wedge in the same shaft as the 775s: the NS Pro. Because I am so pleased with my performance with my 23 degree hybrid, I am considering the replacement of the 5 iron with the hybrid equivalent ( which, for me, would be the Cobra Baffler-- the new version ). Good luck in your quest.

Thank you very much. It's always great to hear from someone who is actually playing the clubs I'm looking at.

I really like the fusions, they are the most forgiving irons I think I have ever hit. I had some problems working the ball. The x-tours are in my opinion the most forgiving forged irons ever. With the deep cavity on these irons they have the look of a cast club with the soft workable fill of forged. I love them. I just cant get myself to play forged long irons.. Just me ...lol

I agree with you, Fusion is the most forgiving irons I've tried so far. I haven't tested X-Tour yet, but I wish to someday when my handicap is low enough.

I personally believe they are overated. My Pings "feel" great and I played for years with McGregor forged muscle back blades... But that's what the pros play so everyone wants that I guess.

I've tried forged irons before. Hit balls on the range with it a couple of times then I switched to cast irons. Forged did feel a little bit softer at impact, but as far as performance wise I think they were not much of a difference. Because player's irons are mostly forged and tour staffs are using them, I guess we're inclined to look like them. So, yeah IMO forged is overrated.

Thanks for Fusion's info, by the way. That's what I thought, Fusion is assembled of multi-materials. And yes they're damn expensive, but at least it improved my golf game. Call it an investment?
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

I noticed that you're a club fitter/maker. I'd like to know what you thought would be a longer iron; The Mizuno MP 60 W/S300, T/M R7 TP's W/S300 or the new Callaway X-forged W/Project X's.

I'm sure I could figure it out by hitting them, but I'm fortunate enough to have 2 of the 3 sets and I'm trying to hold on to the two that would best suit me. I don't want to have to hit them, so I can use them to trade if need be.

Thanks
In The Bag

Driver: FT3 -or- TMTB
Woods: Cobra F-Speed
Hybrids: Cally FT, 3 & 4Irons: T/M R7TP's, W/PX 5.5 Wedge: Cally X-Forged, 52 & 58Putter: S/C Studio II Ballz: T/M Black -or- Prov1X

last summer I looked around for a new set of irons after playing some TM LT's for a couple of years. I made the switch to Titleist and I'll never look back, more importantly was the shaft upgrade. I had some Project X's put in there and they are simply amazing, the ball flight definately knocked down a little bit but thats the way I like my flight. Great feel in the 735's... I really enjoy the combo set, it's nice to have that control in my scoring irons and the "forgiveness" in the longer irons.

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

It looks to me like you have gotten good advice. And a quick note about profit margins. I used to work in golf retail and Callaway and Taylor Made are the absolute worst as far as profit margin. Titleist isn't much better. So I think the advice you were getting is genuine.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

You're right about those PX's. I didn't like them though... I usually hit a fairly low ball and the PX's just kept it a lit'l too low for me.
In The Bag

Hybrids: Cally FT, 3 & 4Irons: T/M R7TP's, W/PX 5.5 Wedge: Cally X-Forged, 52 & 58Putter: S/C Studio II Ballz: T/M Black -or- Prov1X

I am new to the forum and to sand trap.com!

I play:

Driver: King Cobra 460 F-Speed
3-Wood: King Cobra F-Speed
Irons: TaylorMade RAC OS (love em'!)
Wedges: 53 degree and 60 degree: Cleveland Golf 588 Tour Action Wedge. 58 degree: CG11 Black Pearl.
Putter: TaylorMade Rossa Daytona

WELCOME TO OUR HANG OUT AND KEEP IT IN THE SHORT GRASS.......
In The Bag

I am looking at the Mizuno line of irons. Can someone give me the run-down of the Mizuno irons...thanks

Mizuno makes basically two lines of clubs the MX line, cavity back clubs, MX-25 is forged and very popular with Mid handicappers, MX-19 cast, Mx-900 hybrid cavity back set. The MP line is I believe all forged. Several variations, they are known for their cut muscle versions MP-60, MP-67 and I believe MP-32? The 32s are for low handicaps only. If you are an 18 I would start with MX-900 or MX-25. I feel the MX-19 lacks the feel that you are paying extra for in Mizunos. The MX-25s just missed making my bag this year.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Driver - Nike SQ Sumo Stiff
3W- Nike SQ Graphite Stiff
5W - Nike SQ Steel Stiff
5I-AW Nike CCI irons Cast
56 Nike Tour Wedge

I recently switched to the Nike CCI irons from the Callaway X14 Steelheads I've been playing for years. The switch has been very beneficial. The Callaway's large offset has become more and more of a problem for me.

The CCI's have little offset, and feel great.
Jody B.

Cobra Speed Pro S 9.5 X-Stiff
Cleveland Hibore XLS 3WTaylor Made Super Steel 5W (Steel Shaft)Cleveland Hibore XLS 3 Hybrid (Steel Shaft)Titleist AP1 5-GapCleveland CG14 56Cleveland CG14 60Odyssey 3Ball 33" Putter

Mizuno makes basically two lines of clubs the MX line, cavity back clubs, MX-25 is forged and very popular with Mid handicappers, MX-19 cast, Mx-900 hybrid cavity back set. The MP line is I believe all forged. Several variations, they are known for their cut muscle versions MP-60, MP-67 and I believe MP-32? The 32s are for low handicaps only. If you are an 18 I would start with MX-900 or MX-25. I feel the MX-19 lacks the feel that you are paying extra for in Mizunos. The MX-25s just missed making my bag this year.

Don't be mislead by the mislead..... The MP60's and MP32's are for players of all index's. It's a mater of whether or not you're comfortable hitting them and if you intend to grow in your game. I hit the MP32's when I was an 18 and hit them well. I changed irons on several occassions and I still don't know why. I'm back to the best iron I've ever owned, the MP32's and I'm only a 12-handicapper
In The Bag

So far I've been playing Titleist irons. The 690.CB's feel like butter and look great at address. I greatly benefited from moving to stiff shafts throughout the bag a while back. Beyond that, I use these irons because I like them.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5585 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!