IGNORED

Post-mortem: 130 to 88 in 6 months... what worked, what did not.

johnclayton1982
Note: This thread is 3286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Cool post. It's always fun and interesting to read about someone else's experience with this game. Your comments about the driver fitting makes me realize I should go do that. All in all though, an entertaining post. Keep at it!

Originally Posted by johnclayton1982

Putt-reading techniques - I read alot about this - plumbbobbing, aimpoint, etc...

Plumb-bobbing doesn't work, but what was your experience with aimpoint? Seminar, classes and such?

Originally Posted by johnclayton1982

stack and tilt

Just out of curiosity, who was your instructor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclayton1982 View Post

tour striker

This product is designed to get the golfer to intuitively bow or palmar flex the lead wrist to get the shaft leaning forward. Too bad they aren't more clear about that.

• Upvote 1

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great post with alot of good info. Can't pound the pulpit enough about the Phil Mickelson DVD. That is a great video and helped me also.

nike.gifTour
ping.gifG10 Driver 9*
ping.gifG10 3Wood 15.5*ping.gifG10 5Wood 18.5*ping.gifG10 Irons 4- PWping.gifTour Wedges 50*, 56*, 60*odyssey.gifPutter 33" Sabertoothbridgestone.gifBall E6

My ability to read every word in this post increased when I read that you don't hit your 7 iron 180.

Thanks for the info !!  Going to get the PM stuff.

as $ allows

where are you playing out of? also how are you putting? -to break 80 have to be expecting to make almost everything inside of 8 feet

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

My chipping is by far the worst part of my game, I would say on average it cost me at least 10 strokes a round and that is not an exaggeration, it is dreadful.  I just got secrets to the short game by Mickelson and have been trying to do his hinge and hold method.  I feel like I basically started over with my chipping stroke so it has got even worse rather then better.  I am going to work on that a lot to try and get the hang of his method, I always seem to leave it short.

Originally Posted by Stan MI

My ability to read every word in this post increased when I read that you don't hit your 7 iron 180.

Thanks for the info !!  Going to get the PM stuff.

This^

I had the same reaction when I saw the clubs distances the OP posted. One comment that the OP made was he noticed that many players try to hit at 100% for every club. I see this all the time with pretty good players and not just high cappers. Like taking out a 9 iron when an 8 has a much better chance even if mis-hit. Good post OP.

Great read. I'm definately adpoting some of your methods. I currently use many of the same practice ideas, but the score keeping specific to what part of the game is in need of the most help was really amazing to see! I'll try it out!

My Home Course: http://chilliwackgolf.com/

In my Taylormade Bag:

The Big Stick: Calloway FT-I / Mini Big Stick: Calloway FT

2HY - Nickent 4DX IW

Irons 4-PW: Taylormade Burner 09

52' - Cleveland CG 15

56' Cleveland CG 12

60- Wilson Unknown.

Money Maker - Odessy White Hot Tour #5

Thanks for the post.  My new irons actually helped me but my old ones were 20 year old knock offs.  I think i need to look at getting a different driver though.  It's a dunlop if that gives you any idea.  YES Dunlop.  I just got down from 115 to high 90s.  My next goal is a 95 consistently, but my blow up holes kill me.  I played a tougher course yesterday.  I was 6 over through 6 holes which is great for met, then posted a triple bogey and 2 double bogeys to end up at a 52 for the front.  I got it together and shot a 45 on the back.  thm is was playing with out a driver or 3 wood.  I tee up with a 4 iron which gives me about 210 yards on average as opposed to going 240 into the water.  I'm tall so my swing arc lets me hit decently long without trying to kill it so a lot of par 4s i can still get on in two if i'm from 190 and in.  I definately agree with what you said regarding being 200 plus out and I used to pull out the three wood and completely screw up my shot.  I know aim to get a decent line from about 100-130 yards out and take a wedge in.  I play with a friend who can hit his 3 wood off the fairway 260 on average but he shoots in the 70s regularly.  I also can't wait to be able to hit a fairway wood 200 plus consistently.  I think some lessons would work to ingrain the proper grip, swing path etc. and i'll definately check out some of those videos.

Outstanding thread and a very refreshing read.  Keep up the hard work!

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Originally Posted by cody west

where are you playing out of? also how are you putting? -to break 80 have to be expecting to make almost everything inside of 8 feet

This is false.  The pros make ~50% of 8 foot putts, and 75% of 6 foot putts.  They don't get to "almost everything" (I'll take that as >95%) until they get inside 3 feet or so.  See:

http://www.columbia.edu/~mnb2/broadie/Assets/strokes_gained_pga_broadie_20110408.pdf

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

One thing I'd say about new irons not helping:

I just got new irons and they've helped me A LOT!  I got used irons, but they are still about 5 years newer than my old ones and are a MUCH better set.  But that's not what's been most helpful.  I'm tall, and played standard lie angle irons forever.  I finally got a new set that was upright by about 2˚, and it's made a HUGE difference.

I totally agree that getting newer, fancier irons with the same specs (similar shaft, same lie angle, etc) won't help you get into the mid-80s from 100+, but if you're particularly tall or short it very well could!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Originally Posted by yatzr

You may have explained this and I just missed it.  What did you consider to be regulation for getting within 100 yards?

Up and down in 3.

My Home Course: http://chilliwackgolf.com/

In my Taylormade Bag:

The Big Stick: Calloway FT-I / Mini Big Stick: Calloway FT

2HY - Nickent 4DX IW

Irons 4-PW: Taylormade Burner 09

52' - Cleveland CG 15

56' Cleveland CG 12

60- Wilson Unknown.

Money Maker - Odessy White Hot Tour #5

Very cool write up.  I really liked the stat tracking idea.    I made a version to put on my push cart, attached it if anyone is interested.

Brad

• Upvote 2

Note: This thread is 3286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!