IGNORED

New Groove Rule

Jeepthrills
Note: This thread is 4932 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I actually was inspired to buy new wedges because of this rule change... I like the grooves zippy... I think it is a real advantage and I need that. I like to play little tournaments and figure that by the time my new CG 14s are no longer legal the grooves will be worn off. I also have contemplated for that very reason buying a second set at the end of the year or from ebay in the next couple of years.

Drew

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Drew. I will proably buy a set of vokeys this year so when my current ones wear out. I will still have a set that will be grandfathered in.

In My Bag:
Driver: 907D2 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 13*
5 Wood: 906F2 18*
Irons: : MP-32: 3-PWWedges: : Vokey 54.10 and 60.4Putter: Circa 62 Charcoal Mist Model #6

• 5 months later...
I just saw that there are some new equipment rules starting next year, involving grooves on irons.

I'm planning on trying to qualify for the US Amateur and other such tournaments next year.

Does that mean my 10 year old Mizuno T-Zoid Pro irons won't be legal for the 2010 season?

Wow, I can't really afford to get a new set of irons right now. These things are perfect for me and they were $200 on eBay 6 years ago.

Are there any current (aka "used") sets that fit within the new rules?

Driver: 905S 8* - Graffaloy Blue 65S Shaft (tipped 1" Short)
Fairway: 960F (15*, 19*)
Irons: T-Zoid Pro 4-PW w/ True Temper Steel
Wedges: MP-R Black 52*, 56*
Lob: 60* CG-10 (nice and rusty)Putter: OZ Putter (with oversized Winn Blue Grip)Ball:: One Tour

The biggest effect the rule will have are the wedges that have come out in the last couple of years. I am not sure about regular clubs. Regardless, your T-Zoids from 10 years ago will be fine.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

The biggest effect the rule will have are the wedges that have come out in the last couple of years. I am not sure about regular clubs. Regardless, your T-Zoids from 10 years ago will be fine.

When will U grooves on wedges become illegal for us average club players? I've just bought a set of CG14's!

In my Sun Mountain bag :

Driver : R7 Superquad
Irons : MX-900 3i - PW
Wedges : CG14 52 & 56Putter : 'Fang' #7Balls : TP Red

2014 is when they will become illegal for us. I am not sure about the US Am and the big events, but for most local tournements and such they will be legal till 2014. I am planning on using them up until the end of that year. I am actually going to try to use the rule change to get a good deal on a new set of vokey SMs.

When is everybody going to change?

Brian

2014 is when they will become illegal for us. I am not sure about the US Am and the big events, but for most local tournements and such they will be legal till 2014. I am planning on using them up until the end of that year. I am actually going to try to use the rule change to get a good deal on a new set of vokey SMs.

When my new CG14's are knackered!

In my Sun Mountain bag :

Driver : R7 Superquad
Irons : MX-900 3i - PW
Wedges : CG14 52 & 56Putter : 'Fang' #7Balls : TP Red

It doesnt really matter. Its not going to effect 99% of ametuer golfers for at least another decade. Elite ametuer players like NotAStick dont have to worry about it until 2014, i beilve.

My feeling is that if youre not a + handicap. Dont worry about it at all.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

• Administrator
First, two links:

http://www.golfdigest.com/equipment/...nd-vs-sta.html
http://www.golfdigest.com/golfworld/...hnson_stachura

There are others out there, but those are the most handy.

WTF? Screw the PGA Tour - and the USGA for bowing to the pressure - if they "delay" or remove the new groove rule.

As some of you know, I'm on board with the groove rule change. I think it'll have a huge affect on the way pros play golf with almost no impact on the way 80% of people play golf (and very little impact on the few guys in the middle, like me). They've had a year already and still have six months to "figure things out" and practice with the new grooves.

This pisses me off. I really, really hope the USGA sticks to their guns. I've lost a little respect for Joe Ogilvie and Stewart Cink over this. Heck, I'm gonna tweet to Stewart right now (not that I expect a response).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

The hits just keep on comin'

PING Chairman & CEO John Solheim calls for new groove rule to be abandoned, not delayed.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

I just caught a commercial going out the door today about the changing rule that grooves are going to be changed on clubs. Is that wedges and irons or just wedges? I was just curious about this and like I said, I caught the tail end of it and was just wanting some light on the subject :).

Steve "SKS" Kissinger

In the Bag:

Driver:905 - 9.5Fairway: 905 - 15 degreeIrons: MP32s 3-PWWedge: 56 and 60Putter: Teardrop TD21Bag:

I just caught a commercial going out the door today about the changing rule that grooves are going to be changed on clubs. Is that wedges and irons or just wedges? I was just curious about this and like I said, I caught the tail end of it and was just wanting some light on the subject :).

It will apply to all grooves. If you are not a tour professional there will be an exemption on your existing clubs, in practice, until they are worn out. Just keep using your clubs, no need to worry.

In the bag:

Driver: 975D 10.5° True Temper EI-70 Stiff (Alternate 8.5° Titleist Stiff Graphite Shaft)
Fairway Woods: 975F (2 From) 14.5°, 18.5° True Temper EI-70 Stiff, 20.5° Titleist Stiff Graphite Shaft
3Iron-PW: S58 Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsGap Wedge: Tour-W 54/10 Nickel...

Wedges have a U shaped groove.

USGA will only allow V shaped grooves after the beginning of the year for professionals. Golfers playing in USGA amateur events will have to change by 2014, and the rest of us by 2024.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Golfers playing in USGA amateur events will have to change by 2014,

Hopefully I'll be on a beach somewhere with one of them funny drinks with an umbrella in it by that time ... livin' the high life and not worrying about the grooves in my wedges!! HAHAHAHA

I make all my own clubs:
Driver: Snake Eyes Python XLD | | 3-Wood: Snake Eyes Python XL Faiway, 15*  | | Snake Eyes HT Iron Set, 3-, 4-Utility, 5-, 6-Hybrid, 7-PW Cavity Back | | Golfsmith G-40 Wedges, 52, 56, 60 | | Distance Master DM-AS2 Putter | |Ball? The last one I found ... that... was YOURS!!

With the new rule coming into effect will we see some high end balls made to spin a tad bit more to compensate for the clubs?

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

Note: This thread is 4932 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!