IGNORED

Hybrids - Ping G15 v K15

Note: This thread is 3302 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Has anyone any advice on either of these.

Would it be fair to say the K15 is Super GI where as the G15 is more GI ?

A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him

I recently bought a G15 2 17* hybrid and for the life of my I can't hit it at all.  Which bums me out because on the simulator at Golf Galaxy I was hitting this fairly consistent (about 180 carry and 200 with roll-out) which is what I was looking for out of it on the course.

I understand the design lends itself to a steeper swing (I have more of a sweeper swing) I have tried everything and get nothing but mis-hits from it.  The one I hit at the store was a normal lie and I was measured for a Lite flex, 2 deg flat lie as I am only 5' 4" with swing in the mid 70's so I ordered it from Ping accordingly (at 2* flat).  Not sure if this has something to do with it or not.

Its so bad I am considering trading it in and losing about $90 on the purchase.

Bums me out because my only other Ping club (5w K15) I absolutely love.

Any tips from Ping G15 hybrid users as to what I might try to hit this thing right?

I talked to Golf Galaxy and their answer was....."well um....2 degrees are hard to hit"

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

I suspect that the G15 and K15 hybrids have been rare disappointments for Ping.  Their irons, drivers and fairway woods have been awesome lately.  I love the K15 driver, and K15 3 wood and G15 4 wood.  But I just do not like the G15/K15 hybrids.  I went with the original Rapture hybrids, and they are outstanding.  If not the Raptures, I would have gone with the G10's.  Those two models are classic looking, forgiving and hot hybrids.

Equipment:
Ping K15 Driver (10.5º) - Diamana BB R flex; Ping G15 4 Wood (TFC R flex); Ping G15 20* Hybrid (TFC R flex); Ping G15 23* and 27* Hybrids (AWT R flex steel); Ping G15 Irons 6-GW (AWT R flex steel); Ping I-Wedge 54* Wedge; CG14 BP 58* Wedge; Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #9 Putter

Originally Posted by jeffrey r

I suspect that the G15 and K15 hybrids have been rare disappointments for Ping.  Their irons, drivers and fairway woods have been awesome lately.  I love the K15 driver, and K15 3 wood and G15 4 wood.  But I just do not like the G15/K15 hybrids.  I went with the original Rapture hybrids, and they are outstanding.  If not the Raptures, I would have gone with the G10's.  Those two models are classic looking, forgiving and hot hybrids.

A disappointment ? really? I have yet to read a bad review on either the G15 or K15 hybrids.

A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him

Paddy, I was really taking sales, not performance, but I am speculating as to any of those.  I can only say this.  From being on this and other golf sites, I can unscientifically draw several conclusions based on trends.  Like, the G15 irons and the G15 driver are some of the most raved about irons and drivers, respectively, that I can recall reading about.  That the G15 and K15 woods are very popular.  Frequent and almost universal praise for all of those.  And conversely, that the G15 and K15 hybrids get mentioned far less often than their predecessors, the Rapture/Rapture V2 and G10 (and even the G5), and that the look of the G15/K15 is generally viewed as unappealing.  People are constantly "asking" Ping to return to a more traditional hybrid, like the G10.  I stand by what I am saying as far as trends I have picked up.  But if you are ok with the appearance of the G15/K15 hybrids, then I am sure you'd be happy with them.

Equipment:
Ping K15 Driver (10.5º) - Diamana BB R flex; Ping G15 4 Wood (TFC R flex); Ping G15 20* Hybrid (TFC R flex); Ping G15 23* and 27* Hybrids (AWT R flex steel); Ping G15 Irons 6-GW (AWT R flex steel); Ping I-Wedge 54* Wedge; CG14 BP 58* Wedge; Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #9 Putter

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread, so my response may no longer be relevant....but.  I'd try taking .5 or .75 inches off of your G15 2 hybrid.  I love Ping clubs, but nothing is a "gimme."  I enjoy playing my G15 irons and hybrids, but didn't like the driver of the fairway woods.  If the shop layed it 2 degrees flat for you, the other option may have been trimming it down a bit.

That being said, I'm better at buying clubs than I am at played them.

The K15 hybrid is terrible IMO...My G15 4-wood is definitely one of my favorite clubs to hit--long, straight, forgiving, great control over trajectory with it.  I can't speak to the G15 hybrid series but I didn't like the feel of the K-15 or G-20 hybrid at all.  I gave each of them a good 10-15 shots in a testing session at G-Smith.  Ended up going with the Cleveland Classic 3-hybrid, 20.5 degrees, my preference for a hybrid is a small, light head that feels like an iron.  The Cleveland gave me that, and if the K-15 is supposed to be super GI I didn't get that at all...The offset was just too much to hit with and the head felt super klunky.  The G-20 hybrid sadly felt somewhat similar, but I wouldn't recommend K-15.  I'd recommend the G-15 series fairway woods all day though, I've spoken with a Ping rep who felt that the 17-degree G-15 4-wood was one of their best fairway metals to come out in years.

I guess it's different for each individual person.  I have the K15 3H and 5H - although I don't like the look of them at address (they look like a swollen thumb or a pickle on the end of a stick), they're very easy to hit and some of the most reliable clubs in my bag.  I've considered going to something more conventional looking just for the comfort when I'm standing over them, but since I actually hit them pretty decently I can't bring myself to do it.  A friend of mine has RBZ hybrids which are more conventional in appearance - I hit them at the range last week and found that although I liked the look at address much better, I didn't hit them as consistently or as well as my K15s.

As to the original question - yes, the K15 are considered SGI clubs, the G15 are classified as GI clubs.  With that said, another friend plays G20s and I don't notice much, if any, difference between his clubs and my K15s.  They look, feel and play almost identically IMO.  The only difference I really notice is that my K15s cost a lot more than his G20s did.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 9 months later...
I purchased and played my first Ping, G20 31 degree hybrid. I have never played any club that was soooooo accurate and easy to hit. I keep records of my practice and next to the G 20 for the first time ever I was inspired to draw a bullseye. All I can say is give me more!!! Now, to play devils advocate. I was. Hitting into a 10 MPH wind nd the max distance I hit was 130, but avg. 120. But I don't care. I am hitting into the green. The trajectory was high and soft with a beautiful arc with almost no roll upon landing.

• 1 year later...
Note: This thread is 3302 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!