IGNORED

[Balls] Bang for the buck?

Note: This thread is 4656 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi

I work IT for a promotional marketing company and one perk I get, is product at cost.  Golf Balls are one product..

Currently I am playing Wilson Ultra Distance balls.  I paid $8.50/dz.  Can't really go wrong there.

I believe I need a little more precision in my short game and was thinking maybe I should change to a different ball.  Obviously ProV1's are a good choice but I want to stay affordable.  Even at my employee discount ProV1's are still $40/dz

So, I was thinking NXT's at $24.00/dz.  Any feedback or recommendation for a good short game ball that is affordable?

Also, how much do these short game balls effect tee-shots?

Member: Branch River Country Club

Taylormade Burner Superfast Driver

Warrior Custom 3 hybrid

Taylormade Burner Superlaunch Irons 4-PW

Taylormade White Smoke MC-72 putter

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=golf+ball+fitting

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=golf+ball+fitting

Ohhh a wise guy eh?

And your little link doesnt answer my question.

If you cant help, dont reply.

Warrior Custom 3 hybrid

I would say just try a few sleeves of a few different balls you are interested in. Most golf ball companies have info about their golf ball lineup and how much spin you should expect from each ball. Pick a mid priced, higher spin ball and see if it helps you. My recommendations would be to try the bridgestone e5 (about $26 per dozen) and the titliest nxt tour (about $30 per dozen).
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

Originally Posted by aschroeger

Ohhh a wise guy eh?

And your little link doesnt answer my question.

If you cant help, dont reply.

Not being a wise guy, just dropping a hint that it's relatively easy to do yourself and you'll probably get a better idea from many reviews over loads of websites insterad of one opinion on a forum thread.

To expand on my previous post, this morning I had exactly the same question as you and this is the process I took:

1. I Googled "golf ball fitting" and ran through the results opening several sites including http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/blogs/bomb-and-gouge/2010/05/online-golf-ball-fitting-not-s.html which summarises various website ball fitting tools, including:

http://www.titleist.com/golf-ball-fitting/app/
    http://www.bridgestonegolf.com/product/ball-selection-guide
    http://www.callawaygolf.com/Global/en-US/Products/GolfBalls/GolfBallSelector.html
    http://www.wilson.com/dyn/golf/getfit/us/GetFit.html
  2. On those websites I answered various questions and was suggested various balls, most of which were "premium" but not all.
  3. I then Googled those ball names with "review" after the ball name, e.g. "Bridgestone e6 review" and read the thoughts of various users of those balls to see if they sounded like something that would be suited to my game.
  4. I then narrowed down the list to three top balls that I felt I should try out and ranked them from lowest to highest price, after which I decided whether the price increase between each ball type warranted the outlay or not and I decided on a ball to try out.
  5. From there I Googled the ball name, clicked the "Shopping" link and ranked by lowest price. I also visited several other online retailers I know of and also called two local stores to find out whether there are any in-store deals on those balls.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Topflite D2 Feel or gamers are good bang for your buck golf balls. Can you get any brands?

Hi

I work IT for a promotional marketing company and one perk I get, is product at cost.  Golf Balls are one product..

Currently I am playing Wilson Ultra Distance balls.  I paid $8.50/dz.  Can't really go wrong there.

I believe I need a little more precision in my short game and was thinking maybe I should change to a different ball.  Obviously ProV1's are a good choice but I want to stay affordable.  Even at my employee discount ProV1's are still $40/dz

So, I was thinking NXT's at $24.00/dz.  Any feedback or recommendation for a good short game ball that is affordable?

Also, how much do these short game balls effect tee-shots?

Originally Posted by shades9323

Topflite D2 Feel or gamers are good bang for your buck golf balls. Can you get any brands?

For the most part yes, in quantity.

D2 Plus Feel 15‐Ball I can get for $16.75/dz.

Gamer V2 $15.75/dz

Not a great discount but the markup in balls is very low to begin with.  Pricing includes one logo up to 5‐colors.. See my avatar for an example

Warrior Custom 3 hybrid

I was looking for site member personal preference... Not a good response

thanks though

Ah you're a "give a man a fish" guy and not a "teach a man to fish" guy. My mistake.

I've always played Srixon AD333's as they were recommended to be by my pro when I first started playing. I get ok spin with them but they do tend to run out more than I'd like now that my wedge and iron play has improved. I tried the Srixon Z-Star which I adore but it's pricey. I wanted to give Top Flite V2 Gamers a go but they seem to be unavailable here so having gone through the process above I'm giving Bridgestone e5's a try as they're not too expensive but apparently will be an improvement on spin for me.

Better?

SWING DNA

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Ah you're a "give a man a fish" guy and not a "teach a man to fish" guy. My mistake.

I've always played Srixon AD333's as they were recommended to be by my pro when I first started playing. I get ok spin with them but they do tend to run out more than I'd like now that my wedge and iron play has improved. I tried the Srixon Z-Star which I adore but it's pricey. I wanted to give Top Flite V2 Gamers a go but they seem to be unavailable here so having gone through the process above I'm giving Bridgestone e5's a try as they're not too expensive but apparently will be an improvement on spin for me.

Better?

Mucho, thanks :)

The local place here insists I go with ProV1's but I don't think losing one in the water or the woods would sit well with me at that price.  My game isn't that great yet.

Warrior Custom 3 hybrid

I 2nd the Srixon AD333 as decent (good for $20/dozen).  I also ended up wanting a little more spin around the greens as my <40 yard game with my wedges improved.  Roger Dunn had a buy 2 dozen get one dozen free deal recently on Taylormade Pentas, so I split those with a buddy of mine and have been gaming those for a while.  I LOVE the Pentas.  If you can get a deal on those I'd go for it.

I played the Taylormade TP/LDP balls about a year ago when they were $20/dozen and liked those as well.  Similar feeling to the AD333 in that they were solid but not everything I wanted as my game improved.  Haven't hit the TP/Black LDP, so don't know if those feel worth the $30/dozen.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Try the maxfli tour and I'll bet you have found your new ball!!!!!!!!

In my Nike SasQuatch Staff Bag:
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 9.5 Stiff
Irons: Ping G5 4-P
Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 56*, Cleveland bent to 49*
Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey
Ball: Srizon Z-Star Yellow
Range: SkyCaddie 2.5

I believe to get the best performance from a ball you should have your swing speed measured and go from there. Playing a Prov V as opposed to another ball really won't matter much if the ball can not be compressed to get the most out of the ball. As for bang for the buck, I play the Penta TP. To save a few bucks, I use the practice ball (save $20 per dozen). Or, my buddies who caddy give me a giant bag of barely hit Pro V's every so often.

Bag: SunMountain KG:3 Cart Bag
Driver: Titleist 913 D3

Fairway: Nike VR_S Covert Tour 3

Hybrid: Nike VR_S Covert 3
Wedges: 51° ,55°, 59° Trusty Rusty

Irons: Adams CMB
Putter: TM Ghost Spider

Glove: LeviTee Golf Glove

Shoe: True LinksWear Sensei, Proto

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

Originally Posted by LeviTee

I believe to get the best performance from a ball you should have your swing speed measured and go from there. Playing a Prov V as opposed to another ball really won't matter much if the ball can not be compressed to get the most out of the ball. As for bang for the buck, I play the Penta TP. To save a few bucks, I use the practice ball (save $20 per dozen). Or, my buddies who caddy give me a giant bag of barely hit Pro V's every so often.

If you believe the latest Titleist ProV1 propaganda marketing campaign, you don't really need a ball fitting because the Pro V1 (or is it V49 by now?) is the perfect ball for everyone. I'm not kidding. That's in their actual ads right now.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Bug Bunny

Try the maxfli tour and I'll bet you have found your new ball!!!!!!!!

I've played these off and on all year, only because they have been Buy 1 Get 1 free at Dicks and Golf Galaxy all season.  I keep trying other balls (and liking them better) but my wife says I can't buy anymore until all of these are gone.  Problem is at the rate I lose balls it will be all summer before my last 3 dozen or so are used up

In my  bag: 

Diablo Octane Tour 9.5, 18  -  6DT 19 (3I Hybrid) - 

Diablo Forged Irons 5-PW -  Tom Watson wedges 52,56,60 - 64 (generic) 

D.A.R.T. Belly Putter

B330-RX Balls

Originally Posted by JoelCochran

I've played these off and on all year, only because they have been Buy 1 Get 1 free at Dicks and Golf Galaxy all season.  I keep trying other balls (and liking them better) but my wife says I can't buy anymore until all of these are gone.  Problem is at the rate I lose balls it will be all summer before my last 3 dozen or so are used up

Send them to me, balls gone, wife happy, you're happy and Im happy!!  It's a win win win situation!!!!!  ll

In my Nike SasQuatch Staff Bag:
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 9.5 Stiff
Irons: Ping G5 4-P
Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 56*, Cleveland bent to 49*
Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey
Ball: Srizon Z-Star Yellow
Range: SkyCaddie 2.5

LOL - I already tried to "donate" them but she wouldn't have any of it, I guess I'm stuck for now!

In my  bag: 

Diablo Octane Tour 9.5, 18  -  6DT 19 (3I Hybrid) - 

Diablo Forged Irons 5-PW -  Tom Watson wedges 52,56,60 - 64 (generic) 

D.A.R.T. Belly Putter

B330-RX Balls

Note: This thread is 4656 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!