IGNORED

Confirmed: Tiger and Stevie split

rebby
Note: This thread is 4653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wouldn't surprise me if Stevie comes out and releases some information that Tiger may not want out. Of course, Tiger could have paid him to keep quite too.

Originally Posted by mck

which just proves how overpaid--way overpaid some of these caddies are.

I don't think they're over paid. Sure a few caddies who are lucky enough to carry the bag for big name players make a lot, but what about the guy who is carrying the bag of the guy who's struggling to make cuts?

Just because there's a few making a ton doesn't mean they are all overpaid.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Originally Posted by deronsizemore

Wouldn't surprise me if Stevie comes out and releases some information that Tiger may not want out. Of course, Tiger could have paid him to keep quite too.

I think doing so would jeopardize future work. Who wants to hire a caddie who rats out his bosses? The PGA Tour isn't full of well-behaved gentlemen...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tiger is smart, and knew what he was doing so I'm sure Stevie has some sort of non-disclosure / confidentiality clause in his agreement with Tiger.  If Tiger gave him any severence pay he'd have likely asked him to sign something in addition to ensure he keeps his mouth shut.  All that said, Stevie probably has a lot of dirt on Tiger and at some point in the future he'll be tempted with the right amount of money to spill the beans.

Originally Posted by deronsizemore

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by iacas

I think doing so would jeopardize future work. Who wants to hire a caddie who rats out his bosses? The PGA Tour isn't full of well-behaved gentlemen...

Good point. Probably right, but still wouldn't surprise me since Stevie has placed his foot into his mouth previously.

I read today that Joe Lacava, Billy Foster and Bob Belle are on Tigers short list for caddies. Lacava (DJ) and Foster (Westwood) are sitting pretty good with their guys and don't have to deal with the extra attention of being on Tigers bag. Although money talks so if Tiger is willing to pay an insane amount he might be able to pull one of the guys away but I just don't see it. Now for Belle there's just no way Tiger is that stupid because Belle was linked to making travel arrangements for his ladies during his scandal. Tiger's in a tough situation because taking another top players caddie could draw more negativity that he doesn't need right now. I think he should find a solid unknown caddie(there's a lot) because there is no downside if he starts winning the guy looks like a hero and if he doesn't it wouldn't be a shock if he changed again. The other thing is I don't know how many of the top known caddies will jump at the opportunity to get on his bag anymore but again money talks. Also at the end of the day if he some how regains any of his old form and has a decent caddie he will win regardless.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

• Administrator

Originally Posted by clubchamp

I read today that Joe Lacava, Billy Foster and Bob Belle are on Tigers short list for caddies. Lacava (DJ) and Foster (Westwood) are sitting pretty good with their guys and don't have to deal with the extra attention of being on Tigers bag. Although money talks so if Tiger is willing to pay an insane amount he might be able to pull one of the guys away but I just don't see it. Now for Belle there's just no way Tiger is that stupid because Belle was linked to making travel arrangements for his ladies during his scandal. Tiger's in a tough situation because taking another top players caddie could draw more negativity that he doesn't need right now. I think he should find a solid unknown caddie(there's a lot) because there is no downside if he starts winning the guy looks like a hero and if he doesn't it wouldn't be a shock if he changed again. The other thing is I don't know how many of the top known caddies will jump at the opportunity to get on his bag anymore but again money talks. Also at the end of the day if he some how regains any of his old form and has a decent caddie he will win regardless.

Pretty sure you mean Bryon Bell. And yeah, Tiger's going to choose some random unknown caddie. What's he going to do, have tryouts? C'mon.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by mck

which just proves how overpaid--way overpaid some of these caddies are.

Actually, it proves how much Tiger earned over the years that even a percentage of that is still quite a lot of money.

WITB:

Fast 10 10.5* Driver  |  adams.gif Fast 10 15* 3 Wood  |  adams.gif Idea V3 19* Hybrid  |  titleist.gif 710 AP1 4-GW  |    55* and 60* Wedges  |  Lajosi KLP7J Putter

I'm surprised that Stevie says he's shocked. As we all know here, there have been rumors of this recently. This did not happen all of a sudden. Also, how often do players keep the same caddy for 12 years? I don't think that kind of loyalty is the norm. Mickelson and Bones have had a very long relationship, Watson and Edwards were together for decades, Furyk and Fluff have now been together for at least a decade but I don't know if this is normal.

Williams seems pretty shocked, basically feels that he stuck by Tiger during the scandal and that Tiger owed him the opportunity to earn back some respect by carrying his bag through his comeback.

As for long golfer / caddy relationships, I guess it depends on if things are going well and they get along well.  If a golfer is winning or placing high in tournaments both guys are making good money, why mess with something that works.  When things go south, one or both will look to make a move to benefit themselves.

Originally Posted by MSchott

I'm surprised that Stevie says he's shocked. As we all know here, there have been rumors of this recently. This did not happen all of a sudden. Also, how often do players keep the same caddy for 12 years? I don't think that kind of loyalty is the norm. Mickelson and Bones have had a very long relationship, Watson and Edwards were together for decades, Furyk and Fluff have now been together for at least a decade but I don't know if this is normal.

Joe Paradiso

If this was true then he wouldn't be sporting sponsorships on his chest and sleeve, and be taking off his bib before every round concluded. He had more brand names on his person than tiger did! HAHA! Oh and another thing, how many caddies have their own website? This I didn't even know til just now writing this post as I was looking at williams' comments on being canned...

Originally Posted by MrElculver2424

I don't think Stevie ever intended to fight Tiger for the spotlight...he just stood up for Tiger always. A camera clicked during his swing, he demanded the man put the camera down. He tossed a camera into the water. He was Tiger's bodyguard. He was the first person to celebrate with Tiger and Tiger loved him. There's no doubt that Stevie got a lot of recognition, but in my opinion it's because he was so good and cared about Tiger's results so much.

Kip

“Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course--the distance between your ears.“ -Bobby Jones

TaylorMade R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* w/Aldila RIP 70-X TaylorMade V-Steel 15* w/MAS Ultralite 65-X Titleist AP2 3-P upright 0.5* w/ Project X 6.0 +1" TaylorMade Rac TP 52* 8* bounce Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54* 11* bounce, 60* 7* bounce Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5

Williams has his own website for his racing career and foundation.

Anyway, here's more on it:

http://www.pgatour.com/2011/r/07/20/woods-williams/index.html#

I think it is good for Stevie. I haven;t seen Scotts schedule and how much he travels for golf compared to Tiger - but it could be good for Stevie to be in NZ a little more - and when Scott plays in Aussie, it's a hop skip and a jump from home.

No doubt he would of got a big severance from Tiger - after sticking with him through the shit storm of the past

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I can see how Williams would be disspointed after sticking through him through the BS of the last 18 months, and 12 years but I think inside, he's gonna really miss all the money he was making.

Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 Driver Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 3 Wood Taylormade R11 Hybrid 19* Taylormade MC Forged Irons 4-PW Taylormade XFT 52, 56 60 Wedges Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Putter Taylormade Penta Balls

Originally Posted by mathews42

I can see how Williams would be disspointed after sticking through him through the BS of the last 18 months, and 12 years but I think inside, he's gonna really miss all the money he was making.

Let's compare Stevie's future earnings to those made by the person toting Tiger's bag in the future.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

You are right, if Tiger doesn't Rehab 10% of nothing isn't much.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Let's compare Stevie's future earnings to those made by the person toting Tiger's bag in the future.

Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 Driver Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 3 Wood Taylormade R11 Hybrid 19* Taylormade MC Forged Irons 4-PW Taylormade XFT 52, 56 60 Wedges Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Putter Taylormade Penta Balls

howdy folks. long time since I've been back here haha

just figured I would chime in with my 2 cents.

I was honestly shocked at this, more-so over the loyal behavior Steve has exhibited toward Tiger over all these years and through all the drama. He could have bailed when Tiger needed him the most, but as a friend and business acquittance he stayed.  Though from Tiger's POV, this was probably more of a business decision and not much personal...though as Steve said recently, he had a gut feeling something was wrong.

I've heard rumors about money possibly being an issue for Tiger right now and what he was paying out to Steve given he wasn't playing. I guess Steve was on a flat fee, not % like many caddies are. I think with the lack of endorsements, injuries, no wins, etc... Tiger might be hurting for money more then what some of us realize. I don't quite understand how the rich run into money problems...but then again I'm not rich so I can't relate lol.

I think Tiger is probably done for the year but I do agree trying to start fresh might be a good thing for him. Only problem is whether the new people moving into his camp/world will be loyal to him.

If Tiger is having money trouble, I'm a scratch golfer.

Originally Posted by majorchamp

howdy folks. long time since I've been back here haha

just figured I would chime in with my 2 cents.

I was honestly shocked at this, more-so over the loyal behavior Steve has exhibited toward Tiger over all these years and through all the drama. He could have bailed when Tiger needed him the most, but as a friend and business acquittance he stayed.  Though from Tiger's POV, this was probably more of a business decision and not much personal...though as Steve said recently, he had a gut feeling something was wrong.

I've heard rumors about money possibly being an issue for Tiger right now and what he was paying out to Steve given he wasn't playing. I guess Steve was on a flat fee, not % like many caddies are. I think with the lack of endorsements, injuries, no wins, etc... Tiger might be hurting for money more then what some of us realize. I don't quite understand how the rich run into money problems...but then again I'm not rich so I can't relate lol.

I think Tiger is probably done for the year but I do agree trying to start fresh might be a good thing for him. Only problem is whether the new people moving into his camp/world will be loyal to him.

There was an article last week that stated Tiger was experiencing some financial difficulties.  Turns out he's lost a lot of endorsement money, even Nike has reduced what they are paying him quite significantly.  That combined with his decreased earnings playing golf and divorce settlement has placed him in a financial position he's not accustomed to.  It was partially for these reasons and speculation that Tiger wouldn't regain his status as #1 pro to increase his endorsement agreements that ING allowed him and his agent to walk.

"Woods, with his golf game in ruins and his personal sex scandal and divorce still fresh in everyone's thoughts, is obviously not the marketable icon he once was. The extent of that downfall was examined by Daniel Roberts of Fortune, and it doesn't paint a green picture for Woods.  " Now he may actually be hurting for funds," Roberts wrote, saying Woods' endorsement money for 2011 could be close to $20 million. "At the very least, there are signs that he isn't generating enough to comfortably cover his costs." The story says that Nike cut Woods' payment significantly for two years as punishment for his "public behavior," though Nike offered the magazine no comment."

Originally Posted by shades9323

If Tiger is having money trouble, I'm a scratch golfer.

Joe Paradiso

Big deal there was an article. There was an article saying he was worth a billion too! That doesn't make it true. All they are doing is speculating since they aren't privy to his financial information. He brought in $75 million last year without winning a golf tournament. You don't bring in that kind of scratch and have money trouble shortly after that. Fortune has been know to be quite wrong in their valuations of people/sports teams.

It was actually a blog and the title was "Is Tiger Woods running out of money?"

Originally Posted by newtogolf

There was an article last week that stated Tiger was experiencing some financial difficulties.  Turns out he's lost a lot of endorsement money, even Nike has reduced what they are paying him quite significantly.  That combined with his decreased earnings playing golf and divorce settlement has placed him in a financial position he's not accustomed to.  It was partially for these reasons and speculation that Tiger wouldn't regain his status as #1 pro to increase his endorsement agreements that ING allowed him and his agent to walk.

"Woods, with his golf game in ruins and his personal sex scandal and divorce still fresh in everyone's thoughts, is obviously not the marketable icon he once was. The extent of that downfall was examined by Daniel Roberts of Fortune, and it doesn't paint a green picture for Woods.  "Now he may actually be hurting for funds," Roberts wrote, saying Woods' endorsement money for 2011 could be close to $20 million. "At the very least, there are signs that he isn't generating enough to comfortably cover his costs."  The story says that Nike cut Woods' payment significantly for two years as punishment for his "public behavior," though Nike offered the magazine no comment."

Note: This thread is 4653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!