Jump to content
IGNORED

Confirmed: Tiger and Stevie split


Note: This thread is 3466 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts



Originally Posted by mck

which just proves how overpaid--way overpaid some of these caddies are.


According to Rick Riley, Stevie made exactly what every other caddy on tour makes. $1200.00 to $1500.00 a week, 5% of winnings, 7% of top 10s & 10% of wins.

I've heard the stuff Stevie's been saying about Tiger nedding to "Work to regain my respect". Dude, you're an EMPLOYEE! Tiger paid you a wage and then decided to move on to somebody else. Get over yourself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic



Originally Posted by Kieran123

And there are gonna be a lot of Tiger fans who think this is great and that Williams wasn't loyal and he deserved it and blah blah blah

But if we're talking about loyalty, what sort of ass does what Tiger did and put the people he works with careers on the line, and then put them in an extremely awkward situation? Williams stuck with him regardless of it ( maybe a mistake in hind sight ), then was fired. Wheres the loyalty there?

"Thanks for sticking with me through all of what I've done and for keeping your mouth shut" ( whether he knew or not )

"No problem Tiger"

"By the way Stevie, you're fired"

Sorry, but I believe Stevie was "Loyal" to his wallet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I AM entitled to my own opinion, and so is everyone else. Iacas is correct in saying that the best caddy could be someone we don't even hear about...but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion to who the best caddy is. There are people who think Stevie is the best caddy, people who think Bones is, etc...nothing wrong with having an opinion based on what you know. How about if I told you that you can't say Roy Halladay is the best pitcher in the MLB because you don't know who the #4 pitcher is for the Houston Astros? Doesn't make sense, does it?

Everyone is entitled to their own own opinion. Back on topic now.....

And there is really nothing left to talk about until Tiger announces his new caddy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That must be the worst analogy of all time

Originally Posted by MrElculver2424

How about if I told you that you can't say Roy Halladay is the best pitcher in the MLB because you don't know who the #4 pitcher is for the Houston Astros? Doesn't make sense, does it?

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by deasy55

That must be the worst analogy of all time



Not really. It definitely doesn't make sense to me. If you tell someone they can't have an opinion on who the best pitcher is because they can't name the #4 pitcher for the Astros, then something is wrong there.

All I'm saying is everyone can have their own opinion based on what they know.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Administrator

Originally Posted by MrElculver2424

All I'm saying is everyone can have their own opinion based on what they know.


And in my opinion, you know virtually nothing about what makes for a good caddie on the PGA Tour.

So stop talking about it. You'll learn some day that talking in superlatives like you have a habit of doing isn't a great way to go about conversing with people. It has the tendency to make the speaker look stupid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by MrElculver2424

Not really. It definitely doesn't make sense to me. If you tell someone they can't have an opinion on who the best pitcher is because they can't name the #4 pitcher for the Astros, then something is wrong there.

All I'm saying is everyone can have their own opinion based on what they know.


It is a terrible analogy because caddies are not the ones taking the swings and their fame really depends on how good the player they caddy for is.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by iacas

And in my opinion, you know virtually nothing about what makes for a good caddie on the PGA Tour.

So stop talking about it. You'll learn some day that talking in superlatives like you have a habit of doing isn't a great way to go about conversing with people. It has the tendency to make the speaker look stupid.

That's your opinion, and I'll tell you right now it's wrong. Sorry, but you don't know who I am, what kind of kid I am, how long I've watched golf, how much I know about it, etc. The internet isn't a very good way to judge someone. So stop talking about what you think of me. I'm not saying anything about you, because I don't know anything about you. You don't know anything about me, so the best thing to do is not to say anything at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by darkhunter139

It is a terrible analogy because caddies are not the ones taking the swings and their fame really depends on how good the player they caddy for is.


That's absolutely correct. I never said anything that would contradict that. No one said Stevie was the best caddy back in 1997...he became an elite caddy because he paired up with Tiger Woods. But at the same time, obviously not all caddies have equal talent, either.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by MrElculver2424

It's only used as an example for those who think one can't have an opinion on who the best caddy is. It's not terrible. I just used it as a quick example.



It is terrible, it is not even close to the same thing. How can you have an opinion on who the best caddy is if you do not know 90% of them.  Like iacas said, the best caddy could be caddying for the 150th ranked and you would not even know him.

There is a reason the 4th pitcher in the rotation for the Astro's is there.  If he was as good as Roy Halladay he would be putting up the same caliber numbers.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by darkhunter139

It is terrible, it is not even close to the same thing. How can you have an opinion on who the best caddy is if you do not know 90% of them.  Like iacas said, the best caddy could be caddying for the 150th ranked and you would not even know him.

There is a reason the 4th pitcher in the rotation for the Astro's is there.  If he was as good as Roy Halladay he would be putting up the same caliber numbers.


That's entirely true...I never said anything to contradict that.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by MrElculver2424

That's entirely true...I never said anything to contradict that.



Then why are you stating your opinion on who the best caddy is if you admit you have no idea???

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by darkhunter139

Then why are you stating your opinion on who the best caddy is if you admit you have no idea???



Because from what I know , Stevie is an elite caddy, and in my mind, the best I have ever seen. And Hank Haney agrees with me.

Haney-Stevie Williams.jpg

I could very well be wrong...sure, there could be tons of caddies out there who MIGHT be better, but from what I KNOW , I'm forming an opinion. I've never met anyone in my life who had such a problem with that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

was watching the canadian open today and the tv announcer said that Stevie had asked Tiger if he could caddy for scott and Tiger said yes, then changed his mind later on and asked him not to but Stevie was already at the event and told him that. What really changed his mind was when Stevie went ahead and caddied again for scott at the AT&T;, then he fired him. Cant really blame Tiger, I wouldnt of caddied had he told me not to later on even if I was at the event let alone caddy for the player again after been told not

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by motteler621

was watching the canadian open today and the tv announcer said that Stevie had asked Tiger if he could caddy for scott and Tiger said yes, then changed his mind later on and asked him not to but Stevie was already at the event and told him that. What really changed his mind was when Stevie went ahead and caddied again for scott at the AT&T;, then he fired him. Cant really blame Tiger, I wouldnt of caddied had he told me not to later on even if I was at the event let alone caddy for the player again after been told not



I'm basically torn with who to "side" with in this whole ordeal, LOL. I'm done with it. I don't know. It depends how Stevie told Tiger that he was already at the U.S. Open with Scott, if he was nice about it or demanding to let him caddy for Adam. If I was Stevie, I don't think I would have pulled out at the last second and left Adam hanging with no caddy for the U.S. Open. I still don't think Tiger should have fired him just for that. Stevie would have been there for Tiger whenever he's going to return from injuries.

But it is what is is, and it's over.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by MrElculver2424

I'm basically torn with who to "side" with in this whole ordeal, LOL. I'm done with it. I don't know. It depends how Stevie told Tiger that he was already at the U.S. Open with Scott, if he was nice about it or demanding to let him caddy for Adam. If I was Stevie, I don't think I would have pulled out at the last second and left Adam hanging with no caddy for the U.S. Open. I still don't think Tiger should have fired him just for that. Stevie would have been there for Tiger whenever he's going to return from injuries.

But it is what is is, and it's over.



it wasnt just that. Williams went ahead and caddied again at the AT&T; for scott. You just dont do that. Williams is kinda a hard nosed guy tho

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by motteler621

it wasnt just that. Williams went ahead and caddied again at the AT&T; for scott. You just dont do that. Williams is kinda a hard nosed guy tho


I know, he caddied for Scott again without asking Tiger for permission a second time. And you have a good point there...I could see Stevie doing the U.S. Open since he was already there, but if Tiger asked him not to and he went ahead and did the AT&T; National, that wasn't right. If that report is true, then I understand why Tiger fired him.

Thanks for that info.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by MrElculver2424

Tony Navarro says he'd take a call from Tiger. But the article says that Tiger hasn't contacted him yet and therefore he's out of the running.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/navarro-ready-to-take-woods-call/

I wouldn't say he's out of the running yet. Tiger still has time before he returns, but then again, we have no idea what Tiger's up to. He could have already found his new caddy and is just waiting for a certain date to tell us.



Earlier posts suggested that Billy Foster could possibly be Tigers pick.

At the Barclay's Scottish Open and the following Open at Sandwich Lee Westwood was very morose. ( Missed the cut in the Open)

Maybe been approached by Tiger.?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 3466 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjan21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • So as some my have read my wife bought me two Edel Wedges for Christmas.  I got a 62 and a 56 degree both 1.5 inches longer than standard (to match my one length irons) and with the driver grind at 22 degrees of bounce. So, granted, it was one round, but I got a number of shots with both.  The 56 I use for pitches of between 30 yards to 80 yards and the few shots I had with that were fine. Where I really noticed a major difference was with the 62 degree.  I had one shot from a soupy fairway from about 15 yards off the green that I had to hit a floppy shot on.  Normally with that soupy fairway I don't think I would have gotten my old lob wedge through it well enough.  With the driver grind and 22 degrees of bounce I was able to hit a fairly good shot (given the lie) that wound up about 9 feet from the hole (not bad for me).   I had a better shot hole 12 that was about 18 yards from the hole and in the rough (still kind of soupy) .  I didn't want to take a chance with it lob so I hit nor of a left hand centered chip shot.  I thought I hit it a tad too hard (usually with my old wedges if I flew a chip to the hole it would bounce about 15 ft past) but this shot litterally landed a foot in front of the hole spun REALLY hard and kissed the flag stick (if no stick it would have went in) then stopped a ft from the hole allowing me to save par. I normally would have though I got lucky with contact but the next hole I hit my approach halfway up the green which was a good shot but it proceeded to spin backward and roll off the green.  I then had a 25 yard chip from the fairway and hit the chip again it right at the flag and lands about a foot in front of the hole SPINS HARD again and kisses the flag stick while stopping again about a foot from the hole allowing me to save par again. I guess this could also only be because they are brand new or not but so far I'm able to get a good amount of spin on my chips I wasnt able to before.  About the only negative so far is that I'm kind of hesitant to practice with them for fear of the milling being prematurely worn off and losing the ability to add so much spin.   Oh also I went to the range and practiced a few sand shots with the 62 degree.  It makes normal sand shot (with drier raked sand much easier).  The problem right bow is that no sand on the course is raked so tried using it to hit out of unranked soupy sand and I've cone to the conclusion that a normal sand shot isn't possible for me (even with the edel).  I kind of worked out that I can open the clubface and sort of hit a chip trying to get ball and sand at the same time.  That seems to work. Anyway.  My opinion so far with these wedges is that it was money well spent!
    • I finally got a video of my Zip Navigator rolling through what passes for the rough at the Grandview Golf Course today. It might have been easier to get a video of it underwater with a snorkel given the conditions here lately! Anyway, I think it does OK in the rough though I can't imagine why I would want to run it there as a matter of course... It does bounce the clubs around in the thick stuff as you can probably hear. I'm pretty happy with it overall. It seems to have the most trouble in very wet, muddy grass if it's got any speed on. The wheels spin like a truck stuck in the mud. I've found it works best if I slow it down and let it crawl through the goop. I'm glad to be walking again.  
    • 😜I foresee 27 shanks in your next three rounds. 
    • Day 13 - back to the indoor practice putting mat.  Mainly used the white line side (has the smaller hole cutout in the ramp section) to focus on keeping the ball going straight - worked from 3' - 6' distances in 1' increments.  Goal was to make 8 in a row at which time I could move to the next distance back.  IF, which was more the case, I left the line and missed the cup more than twice I had to move back to the next shorter distance.  Really forced the focus to be on making sure the backswing and follow-thru were equidistant from the starting point, keeping the head steady and having enough swing to sink the ball and not blow through.  Tough exercise but rewarding when I could "hear" the ball fall.  
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Cy McCaffrey
      Cy McCaffrey
      (39 years old)
    2. MPD
      MPD
      (64 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...