IGNORED

How do you win the debate about whether golf is a sport or not?

Note: This thread is 3454 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think that anyone that says golf isn't a sport is an idiot.  And likewise winning a debate with an idiot is very hard.

What are some of the things that you say to people who don't think golf is a sport.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How do you win? Easy, you don't get into the debate in the first place.

If your criteria is calories burned, you may be interested to know that walking 9 holes with a push cart is equivalent to an hour of full court basketball (about 700 calories). Using a cart is equal t

Originally Posted by trackster

What are some of the things that you say to people who don't think golf is a sport.

I say "Look at Kevin Stadler, Colt Knost and Tim Herron and tell me that golf is not a sport."

Let people who think that killing defenceless animals with a gun and macho camo gear is a "sport".

If they think that guys who cover themselves in ridiculous amounts of padding (American Football) are playing "sport", let them.

It's funny that some people feel the need to put our sport down by saying it's "not a sport".

Serously, could there be anything more stupid than a discussion about golf where some idiot says ".......but...it's not a sport, is it?" as if this should make us feel weak and guilty.  I'm sure Camilo Villegas and Dustin Johnson quiver when fools say stuff like that.

The definition of a sport is an activity where their are rules, competition of any kind and uses abilities and habileties motrice(fr?). (def. from my class in science of phy.ed.). If they argue with this they are bascically arguing with a set definition.

The point they are poorly making is that it is not an athletic event. So what?  I could argue any event that uses equipment is not an athletic endeavor. Was the person the best athlete or did he have better equipment. The best pole vaulter in the world is going to do poorly with a bamboo pole vs somebody with the new ones. Does that mean he is the worse athlete? Buy them a dictonary.

Some people don't consider individual pastimes as sports. So be it.

I look at it from the standpoint of potential for injury. Through the years, I have ended up "on the bench" for a few weeks from each of the following golf injuries:

• Pulled groin muscle when early plastic spikes gave way on a downswing.
  • Sprained my elbow (and severely bent my 3i shaft) when I hit a shallow tree root on a punch shot out of the rough.
  • Injured my back.
  • Injured the miniscus in my left knee when I stepped in a gopher hole in the rough while carrying my bag.

Golf can be hell, but that's why it's a glorious sport!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think that anyone that says golf isn't a sport is an idiot.  And likewise winning a debate with an idiot is very hard.

One tactic I use is to just agree with them ... that usually ends the debate, which is worthless to start.

Or ask them, "What's your definition of sport?"

After you listen, you say, "that interesting," and move on to the next topic.

Or you can say, "everyone has a different opinion, not right or wrong, just different."

Any time someone asks me a question like that, I ask them the question back, and say "I'm so glad you shared" when they give their answer.

Definition of a sport:

"A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport

The definition itself proves that it's a sport, and people who insist golf's not a sport can't argue that. The definition will win you every debate.

Don't get sucked into debating with them..  Golf is both, and anyone who can't grasp the concept isn't  worth debating with with the first place.

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Well, golf isnt a sport, its a game.  Why does it matter so much to you though???

Why???  You can't just make a bald statement like that as an absolute without any reasons.... especially when you are so wrong.

[list] [*]It requires physical precision and coordination of a lot of the body. [*]It requires practice. [*]It requires physical exertion -- ie, you can work up a sweat doing it. [*]Physical training and endurance aid the player. [*]You can incur any number of "athletic" injuries doing it. [*]It has a rule book, a clear, precise, objective scoring method, and clear penalties for breaking the rules. [*]It has a clearly defined organizational body pretty much anywhere in the world. [*]It requires equipment to play and regulates it precisely. There really aren't any absolute/universal advantages to be had by using one piece of equipment; what works "best" is entirely up to personal preference. [/list] Those things are true for golf and true for the core "obvious" sports, like basketball, football, soccer, hockey, etc. It also excludes many games that are not sports, like billiards. So it sounds like a sport to me. [quote name="trackster" url="/forum/thread/51708/how-do-you-win-the-debate-about-whether-golf-is-a-sport-or-not#post_630975"]

[/quote] If someone said they didn't think golf was a sport, I'd just ask them if they've played it. And not just visited a par-3 course once or twice, but actually played a full 18 holes walking. If they haven't, I'd suggest that they probably don't have much useful information to form their conclusion on. If they have, I'd ask them if they've ever broken a legitimate 100. If not, they may not be aware of the serious effort you can put into the game -- let's face it, golf can be played very laid back and casually. If they have, then, well, shrug, that's their opinion -- at least they're moderately educated while having it.

Definition of a sport:

"A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport

The definition itself proves that it's a sport, and people who insist golf's not a sport can't argue that. The definition will win you every debate.

While that definition does include golf, I don't think it's very well written. Maybe a bit too inclusive.

Note: This thread is 3454 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!