IGNORED

Are expensive clubs just hype?

Note: This thread is 4629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Shorty

Seems you missed the point. I think it's a great analogy. It has nothing to do with the cost of cars. It has nothing to do with the cost of golf clubs.

The point is that the OP is not in a position to be able to make a judgement, quite obviously, and his "findings" make as much sense and would command the same amount of respect as the fictitious ones I wrote of.

Let's hear a serious golfer say that he detects no differences between counterfeit shafts and heads and real ones.

Man i hate to say it but that analogy WAS awful. there is a very very distinct difference between hyundais, kias, MB's, BMWs, porches etc. if you can't tell the difference you should very well end up with a hyundai, or even a smart car. luxury cars in my opinion are clear as day discernable from the 'lesser' manufacturers you've mentioned. golf clubs can vary in feel even from one driver to the other ni the same brand and same shaft...finer skill is needed to discern that then there is to discern car differences. really, there's NO difference in a 911 Carrera S and a Kia optima that a normal driver would notice? hmm...

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

I may be completely wrong, but I feel like you're completely off base with this. Until I got my current set of clubs, I gamed cheap $150-$300 sets of clubs. I played all through high school and halfway through college with clubs like that. I played with a plethora of really, really good players and a lot of players who were really, really bad. Needless to say, I played with a bunch of people who had sets of clubs valued at 3-4 times what mine were worth, but none of them ever gave me any grief about my clubs. Maybe I was just lucky, but through all the competitive matches I played, I never once played with anybody that looked down on me for my gear or my skill level, for that matter; just as I've never looked down on anybody else. We were always out there just enjoying the company and having fun playing the game that we loved.

Sure, there are always people who have the attitude that what they have is the best and you're nothing if you don't have that or at least something of similar cost. You'll meet "that guy" in every facade of life, although, out of all my hobbies, golf is the one where I haven't met him yet. But to say that "elitism of the privileged" is "alive and well" in golf is a bit of stretch in my opinion.

I don't think anybody is really saying that name brand clubs are what you have to play or you might as well not play at all. From what I can tell, most everybody is using the sound reasoning that you started your post with. Name brand clubs have the technology, quality control, and warranty backing them that cheaper clubs don't have. The point is, name brand clubs are generally top tier, followed by clones and cheaper clubs. Nobody is saying "don't buy cheaper clubs or clones", they're saying "don't buy counterfeits" simply because they don't have any QC or care about the customer at all.

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

Most of you are acting like children... I for one believe this to be a veiled metaphor for social class.

Name brand clubs have accountability and warranties, so if they break you can usually do something. The QC and fit & finish is higher, and they have a lot more resale value, so it's a better investment if you sell.

Now, clones (which I think are different than counterfeits), on the other hand, are more affordable, which means that someone without a 6 figure income can buy a new set of their own.

A lot of people couldn't afford to golf with the top quality clubs; even name brand used clubs from 5 years ago would cost about 700$ for a set. For half that, they could have their own set of shiny clubs, custom fitted to them.

Another example; look at pebble beach. A round there would cost 500 dollars minimum. Yet, bethpage black costs 65$ at peak hours. Both are world class courses, but I'm guessing Pebble Beach does a good job keeping the working classes out. That's a part of golf that's still alive and well, the elitism of the privileged. If you play a 2000$ set, you can feel superior to someone who plays a 200$ set without any objective comparison of the clubs or the golfer. The comparison of cars is probably even more to my point. Why not extend the argument to yachts? I'd take the Hyundai because I can afford gas and payments, it's illegal to go over 65mph on the road in the US anyway.

I think that, if a working man decides to go to pebble, he should enjoy himself. If he saves money to buy nice clubs as a gift for himself, he should be proud of them. Hell, even a rich bloke can feel proud of his nice clubs and cars and private courses.

But if you see people like me who can't afford nice clubs, you shouldn't wonder how we dare play golf with cheap clubs. You should either be friendly and share the course or go to hell.

And also, they're all made in China, and the workers make the same cut. The commercials on tv showing master clubsmiths hand whittling the clubs are there to make money.

Ive never gave any of my friends shit for hitting shitty clubs

not to mention you can definitely go 70mph in the USA

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

Originally Posted by Gioguy21

really, there's NO difference in a 911 Carrera S and a Kia optima that a normal driver would notice? hmm...

I don't want to labour this, but my point is that of course there is, but when it isn't moving and one has no aesthetic sensibility at all, there isn't.

But if a golfer says he can't tell the difference between a club with a fishing rod for a shaft and a head made from melted down saucepans, he isn't very discerning.

A beginning golfer with no clubhead speed or knowledge of what it feels like to hit the ball solidly has nothing to compare his feelings with.

Whatever he hits it feels bad. But that's all he knows, so he thinks evrything is the same.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

No, it's a terrible analogy. The parts to a golf club are few; no more than 10. The parts to a car are in the thousands. Those thousands of parts allow for a gigantic amount of customization. Golf clubs do not. If you read my original post, you'll see I am in no way endorsing counterfeits. I was referring to cloned clubs being comparable to brand name clubs. That is all.

The OP is asking about the worth of big name branded clubs; in my opinion it's up to  you. I think he'll do just fine w/ a set of cloned clubs. A better choice would be used/discontinued sets from the big name companies. They do put significant R&D; and they're clubs are great.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Seems you missed the point. I think it's a great analogy. It has nothing to do with the cost of cars. It has nothing to do with the cost of golf clubs.

The point is that the OP is not in a position to be able to make a judgement, quite obviously, and his "findings" make as much sense and would command the same amount of respect as the fictitious ones I wrote of.

Let's hear a serious golfer say that he detects no differences between counterfeit shafts and heads and real ones.

Clearly name brand clubs are the way to go - seen some articles on counterfeits and there is simply no comparison in any way. Having said that, you can buy high quality name brands at decent prices - clubs don't have to cost a fortune. Better to get used clubs in good condition as pointed out by some, or get a brand new name brand set that is a few generations behind the 2011 models out there. Great example is Taylor Made Burner 09 - were $850 approximately when they launched (Canadian prices!!!!) and 2 years later you can get a brand new set at the local Golf Town for $450. Loads of similar examples - Nike, Cleveland, Wilson Staff, Callaway, etc., of clubs that are a gen or 2 behind and you can pick them up new, from a legit retailer at reasonable prices. Good products that will last the average golfer for many many years to come. Seems like an easy choice.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Snake Eyes...

Cleveland Launcher DST 10.5*

Ping G15 17*

Mizuno MP-53 4-PW with GS-95

Mizuno MPT-11 Black Nickel 52* and 58* with GS-95

Ping Redwood Anser

Note: This thread is 4629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!