IGNORED

Ever horned or been horned by someone.

trackster
Note: This thread is 4651 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There should be courses exclusively for those who enjoy and appreciate that kind of behaviour...that way you could all enjoy each other's relaxed attitude towards etiquette. The problem in my opinion is... it seems to be getting gradually worse. A few weeks ago someone actually sounded an airhorn in the middle of the course (no it wasn't raining/lightning). There was some sort of outing going on and someone thought this too was acceptable. It's not. I know how to raise hell and cut up with the best of them...but this game takes a great deal of concentration to play well for 18 holes. A golf course with 30-40 other players in different stages of trying to enjoy their round isn't the place for this stuff.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

You're the second newb in 2 hours trying to tell me to back off... maybe it's you clowns who need to find a site that condones those shenanigans on the course.

The first paragraph of the etiquette section of the Rules of Golf says:

To most "golfers" that overrides your suggestion that I "lighten up".

I mentioned in my first post that you have to know the people that you are golfing with.  If such a prank would cause them to seriously become annoyed or angry after a single time, then that would not be a person that you would joke with like that.  In that way, I don't find it a breach of etiquette at all, because you know the person you're joking with won't take offense.

And I've been around this site for around 3 years, now.  Mostly lurking without posting, but I've been around for a while.  And I stick around because there is some great information available here and I love the game of golf.  Sure, I disagree with the opinions from some people, but that's not enough to scare me off.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

You're the second newb in 2 hours trying to tell me to back off... maybe it's you clowns who need to find a site that condones those shenanigans on the course.

The first paragraph of the etiquette section of the Rules of Golf says:

To most "golfers" that overrides your suggestion that I "lighten up".

All I hear is wah wah wah Im a whiny golf snob.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by gjsuicide

All I hear is wah wah wah Im a whiny golf snob.

Great. Now both of you, cool it.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I was playing some sort of important round, I'd be pissed no matter if I knew the person or not. In fact, in high school this used to happen all the time at our home course and the him course of my school's rivals/closest competitor. If I was just playing a casual round, I'd be fine with it if it was a friend, but not if it was someone I knew. It's just a total dick move. It's not about toeing grumpy vs. wanting to be loose, it's about paying a lot of money to play golf and having a reasonable expectation of silence while you are hitting. If someone takes that away from you, and breaks the law in doing so, it's not unreasonable to take legal action, even if it's not going to result in much more than a fine. It's not really inline with my personality to do so, but I can't fault anyone for taking action.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I've played my whole life on public courses.  I know how to play with distractions.  I've played holes along busy city streets where every other driver going by mistakenly thinks it's original and clever to hit the horn.

When a guy gives a whoop on the green when he holes a long birdie and I'm drawing back the club on the next tee, I don't worry about it.  The group looking for a player's ball in the rough hollers "I found it" just as I hit my approach on the adjacent fairway.... no big deal.  Those are NORMAL and EXPECTED distractions that we all contend with on the course.

But that still doesn't excuse deliberately boorish behavior, especially when it comes from others who call themselves golfers.  You aren't the only one who paid to play there, so show some respect for your fellow players.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I have a friend who brought an actual air horn to a fraternity golf outing. It was barely amusing the first time he used it and rapidly went downhill from there. It wouldn't have been too bad except there were other paying customers on the course. (Our entire group ended up with something like 70 complaints.) I succeeded in convincing him not to bring it the next year.

I don't know what is worse, the behavior or bragging about it on a public message board.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by senorchipotle

it's actually called being 'hooked,' for some reason. but don't forget about narwhals.

I saw this lady get hooked in a Swedish film once. It was pretty extraordinary. The man doing the hooking was very talented.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I think someone said it earlier. If you're in a group who love pranks then go for it, knock yourself out as long as you're not affecting others who have also paid to use the course and would like to play their game their own way. Just because someone disagrees with your view that it's fun it doesn't mean their a snob or have no sense of humour; it simply means they play their game differently and it's their prerogative to do so. Likewise just because you find pranks childish and not needed it doesn't mean there aren't people out there that do enjoy them.

My last post was simply an expression of my own view; that I personally don't find pranks amusing and I'd probably get uptight if someone pranked me while playing as it would break my concentration and potentially screw up the rest of my round.

I do have a little banter with playing partners though ("Ooh member's bounce", "Looks like you dropped your lipstick on that shot", "If Peter Pan was here he'd be s***ting himself when you have a hook like that" etc) as long as I know they're fine with it.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

I've never horned anyone, but been horned by my own wife and daughter, along with many others!  One of the courses I play a lot has a long par 5 that runs right beside one of the busiest streets in town.  My son-in-law is a police officer in the small town, so everytime we play we seem to get honked at, fortunately not always in our swing!

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Why would you do this?

I like to play golf seriously. I can laugh and joke with my playing partners when shots aren't being taken, but then it's concentration time. Sounds childish.

Originally Posted by ohiolefty

I saw this lady get hooked in a Swedish film once. It was pretty extraordinary. The man doing the hooking was very talented.

Try and catch it live sometime. Amsterdam is a good bet. It's rather like the difference between watching golf on TV and being in the gallery at the tournament.

I would have to concede that the pros generally hit it harder, and with more control.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by Stretch

Try and catch it live sometime. Amsterdam is a good bet. It's rather like the difference between watching golf on TV and being in the gallery at the tournament.

I would have to concede that the pros generally hit it harder, and with more control.

Most pros can reallty carve it.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Note: This thread is 4651 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!