IGNORED

Who buys new and why?

Note: This thread is 4570 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I worked in golf retail for about a year and a half 5 or 6 years ago. Pay sucked but I got some sweet deals on clubs. Actually that's when I got my TA5 Gunmetal irons.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 years later...

I am addicted to the used club rack at Golfsmith, PGA SS and others. I just love finding a good deal especially on a driver. I feel that there is not much technology change in drivers over the past few years...even a Ping G2 or G5 can be had for $50 and is a terrific driver. When I am looking for a particular older model that I like, I enjoy hunting the racks hoping to find one in good condition for a bargin.

I did by my irons new as I will not be turning those over for many years. I bought a TM Rossa Monza Corsa and Callaway GBB2 415 used.

Quote:

I buy everything brand new,never used, but I work at a golf course and get everything at wholesale price through the pro shop, so be jealous.

I also buy everything new - i dont work at a golf course but I get at wholesale plus 10% through our pro shop

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

With cheap knock-offs being so prevalent (and in some cases, very convincing) I have yet to buy used. I'm not saying I'd never buy used, but I'd really want to scrutinize the goods. Having a serial number registered with a club manufacturer, for example, is a pretty good indication of authenticity.

Happiness is a long walk with a putter.

I got my irons new, but I doubt I would ever buy brand new again. I'd look for something that has been used for only a few rounds or a couple months at the most. If you are patient, or lucky, there are some great deals out there in the used market that can almost fit you like a glove. The only thing to be cautious of are fakes. After I got my irons, I stumbled across a local guy selling a driver I was interested in and my 6 year old 360cc driver needed to be upgraded. At less than half the new price and in great condition, it made sense. If it didnt suit me, I was not going to lose money on it buy reselling it. Then another guy I know from another forum was selling a V-Steel 3W. My steel shafted 3w also needed to be upgraded and for $80 with an Aldila shaft, thought it was a great buy. My dad now has that club after I found another 3W on a used rack on a golf shop with a more suitable shaft. Again, at less than half the price of new, it was a good purchase. My current driver I got used as well. I demoed one at a range one night and was sold. I managed to find one a few days later. The shaft is 0.5 stiffer than the one I tested, but it works well, and at $160 instead of over $300 new, it too was a good buy considering it had been used for 2 rounds.

If you can afford to get new and want to be properly fitted, then do it. Its usually money well spent if you are serious about improving your game. Simple adjustments like the lie can be done to suit your swing on used clubs, but try to get a suitable shaft if you can. If you're a club ho and go through drivers every 6 months because you think its the clubs fault and not yours, it can be a very expensive exercise if you only like new toys. I feel I need to justify the cost of everything I buy regardless of what it is. I cant justify spending hundreds upon hundreds on new stuff every time I feel like a change. Im just a weekend warrior at the end of the day.

My current set of irons are the only clubs I have bought new from a retailer.  Most of my clubs are new, but I tend to buy the previous model.  My current driver, 3W, 5W are Taylormade R9 that I purchased at the beginning of this year, after they released the R11.  I paid $160 for the driver, $130 for the 3W, from a retailer and $100 for the 5W off eBay.

I do buy wedges new, but all my putters are used, most of them from eBay.  Putters tend to be well kept and I really have no problem buying them second hand.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I don't go out of my way to buy new - unless I get an epic deal on something.      I just enjoy getting a deal on used equipment more (I don't buy beat to crap used stuff)  ... after all, after a full round, your gear will look used anyways...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Golf clubs are among a list of things I refuse to buy used, probably because I am a bit of a germaphobe.  To save money, I seek out prior year gear or hit eBay now that I know what to look for.

Cars, boats, and houses are actually the only things I will buy previously owned.

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

Used is the only way to go. That's why I love Play it Again Sports. Would you rather spend $110 on a new 56º wedge or $20 on one that looks like it hasn't seen more than one round? That seems like a no-brainer to me.

Hyper X 10º driver Diablo Edge 9.5º backup driver

Burner Rescue 3 hybrid 4-A irons 56º wedge 60º wedge CRAZ-E putter

I prefer buying new clubs to used ones. With all the deals you can find by buying previous years models or other sale items you can get brand new clubs at close to used prices. Unless you are incredibly strapped for cash, or like buying new clubs every month or so, I think buying new is the way to go.

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

I always buy new - but I wait till they're on sale/clearance

I bought my Adams Driver second hand but everything else new

Irons were $500

Wedges were all cheap sub $40

Putter was $79 on sale

3 Wood was $40

Hybrid was $40

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I tend to buy new, but I build the clubs myself, so it doesn't cost a lot.  Still, I build my clubs based on a fitting, so I don't go through clubs quite like I used to, but it's still fun to try out different clubs occasionally.

The putter in my bag was actually bought used, but the other putters I own were built with new components.

Driver - Cobra Amp Cell/Maltby KE4 V 10.5

FW - Maltby KE4 ST-F 3W

Hybrids - Cobra T-Rail+ 3H and 4H

Irons - Maltby KE4 SS1 4-GW

SW - Cleveland CG16 56*

Putter - Nike Method Core MC02W/Bobby Grace AMG Triumph

I have been using hand-me-downs from my dad all this time.

Until last year.  I bought a new driver last year, then a new set of irons this year, and a new putter just a few days ago.  I've won 3-wood in a tournament a few years back.  So basically, everything in my bag is--NOW--purchased new.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I just got back into golf this year after a break of a couple of years and I wanted to replace my beginners complete set that I had. I found my irons on craigslist. I did however by a new Burner 2.0 driver ($202 out the door) and a Burner 2.0 3w ($130), I bought my putter new and my wedge new too thought I do wait for things to go on sale...But I have no problem buying slightly used either....

Driver:  taylormade.gif Burner Superfast 2.0, 10.5 Stiff Flex

3 Wood: taylormade.gif Burner Superfast 2.0 Stiff Flex

Hybrids - adams.gif A4 19 and 22 degree Stiff Flex

Irons - nike.gif  Forged Combo 5-PW & SW

Wedge  - vokey.gif Spin Milled Tour Chrome  60.07

Putter - cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2, 34 inch & cameron.gifCalifornia Series Monterey 34 inch

Ball - titleist.gif NXT Tour

To buy new or used?  That is a question I will soon have to answer for myself, for I am on the verge of change which I do not embrace.  The irons I play with I bought new, but that was back in 1998......... I know it is crazy.  But even crazier than that, other than my driver, my irons are the newest clubs in my bag.  A look inside my goes like this, top-flite Ti irons (by far the 2nd most solid club I have ever hit) MacGregor Mactec driver (my 3rd one, busted the head on first 2), ping B-60 putter I got in 1989 or 90, Phil Mickleson PM lob wedge (great club, has almost no bounce and the sharpest leading edge of any wedge I've ever seen).  And then there is the greatest single club I have ever hit, my callaway Bobby Jones, deep face 4-wood.  I doubt there will ever be a club head made that hits the ball more pure than the deep face bobby jones I have.  I recently experimented with some 3-woods to see if I could gain just a bit more distance but ever could. I tried beit Taylor made, callaway, macgregor or others, at their best they were all at least 10 yards behind my 4-wood, so unless I lose that club, I doubt I ever buy a new replacement for that one.  I am in need of upgrading (or downgrading if you ask me) my irons because the face of them has become to slick and I can no longer get the spin I need at times.  Will I buy new?  If I find a set that feels right in my hands, yes.  If I find a used set that feels right then I will by used.  However if I find a new set that feels right in my hands I will not wait and try to find a used set of that same club for cheaper because I do not believe any 2 sets of identical clubs are the same.  If you are buying off the rack, you will never get identical reactions out of two different sets.

I buy new all the time.

Maybe because i have some special wishes for my clubs.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

I buy new for the same reason I have people cut my lawn and clean my house. Because it is signifcantly cheaper. 2+ hours spend looking for a deal on ebay or online is 400+ dollars that could be in my bank account. Clubs also are not much of an expense if you only buy them every 3+ years (and no the technology really doesn't change much faster than that. Exceptions are for wedges that wear out) compared to other golfing expenses.  YMMV depending on your situation.

Note: This thread is 4570 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!