IGNORED

Tiger will not win another major

lumpuckeroo
Note: This thread is 3651 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Will Tiger Win a 15th Major?

• Yes
    • No

I actually think that he has a good chance at winning the Masters this year, even if he plays poorly at Bay Hill. Why? Because 1) he will get plenty of time to fix his back issue and 2) there will be not nearly as much pressure for him to win if he's playing poorly.

It seems like all the recent major winners are players who haven't been performing their best up until that point. Adam Scott, Justin Rose, and Jason Dufner weren't having stellar seasons before winning their majors. Phil was the only exception. Maybe a mediocre start to Tiger's season will give him a better chance at winning a major. Call me crazy.

Not crazy at all. But I don't agree. I think a guy like Rory or Day are better setup for Augusta at this point. I got Tiger to get #15 at Hoylake this year.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

I don't think it's that bad.

Heck, I've had back pain (or neck pain) that lasted a few days. His has lasted a week, and he's only rested a few days in that time frame.

Until it displays itself over a few more times, I'm not ready to call it "chronic" or whatever.

It could be considered chronic if it's the same problem he dealt with last season.  Obviously we don't have his x-rays but, unless he was acting to cover up a bad day, he appeared to be quite uncomfortable today and his score reflected it.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

During Round 4 of the WGC today, Johnny Miller had some advice for Tiger: Just take a year off and get well.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

So I read that it was "leaked" that in 2021 the US Open could be played at Torrey Pines (waiting on city council approval and USGA confirmation http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/mar/11/us-open-torrey-pines-tiger-woods/ ) - , and instead of another thread I figured to throw this into an existing Tiger majors thread.

So where do you think Tiger has his best chance to win another major, or majors?

Masters - Augusta National Golf Club - same course every year

US Open -

2014 - Pinehurst #2

2015 - Chambers Bay

2016 - Oakmont Country Club

2017 - Erin Hills

2018 - Shinnecock Hills GC

2019 - Pebble Beach GL

2020 - WInged Foot GC

2021 - Torrey Pines

The Open Championship (aka British Open)

2014 - Royal Liverpool GC

2015 - St Andrews

2016 - Royal Troon

PGA Championship

2014 - Valhalla GC

2015 - Whistling Straits

2016 - Baltusrol GC

2017 - Quail Hollow Club

2018 - Bellerive CC

2019 - Bethpage Black

Players play, tough players win!

So I read that it was "leaked" that in 2021 the US Open could be played at Torrey Pines (waiting on city council approval and USGA confirmation http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/mar/11/us-open-torrey-pines-tiger-woods/ ) - , and instead of another thread I figured to throw this into an existing Tiger majors thread.

So where do you think Tiger has his best chance to win another major, or majors?

Masters - Augusta National Golf Club - same course every year

US Open -

2014 - Pinehurst #2

2015 - Chambers Bay

2016 - Oakmont Country Club

2017 - Erin Hills

2018 - Shinnecock Hills GC

2019 - Pebble Beach GL

2020 - WInged Foot GC

2021 - Torrey Pines

The Open Championship (aka British Open)

2014 - Royal Liverpool GC

2015 - St Andrews

2016 - Royal Troon

PGA Championship

2014 - Valhalla GC

2015 - Whistling Straits

2016 - Baltusrol GC

2017 - Quail Hollow Club

2018 - Bellerive CC

2019 - Bethpage Black

I can't think of any course where he doesn't have an equally good, or better chance as any individual player.  He simply doesn't measure up against the field like he did previously.  Given that, I really don't think the course is going to matter all that much.

He does love Torrey though.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I can't think of any course where he doesn't have an equally good, or better chance as any individual player.  He simply doesn't measure up against the field like he did previously.

You pretty much just perfectly summarized the entire debate.

Obviously the one that he must have circled on his calendar is 2015 at St. Andrews.  As he has said in the past, if he could pick every Major venue for the year, he'd pick St. Andrews four times.

He will have a few more shots at winning majors, but I don't see him beating Jack anymore. If he'd kept his game up and played for another 15+ years; maybe. But I wonder if he will quit if he don't start winning majors soon. 6 years without one is a pretty long time, and they are pretty much his only goal out there right now. Sure he wants to win everytime he tees it up, but a year without a major is not a great year.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Without looking it up, I would assume Jack's longest drought was before #18.  Yeah?

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

IMO Tiger will win at least one other major. I think Pinehurst and Hoylake are good chances. Regardless of what we armchair quarterbacks think, I think Tiger knows what he needs to do, I'm sure he is aware of his lacking intimidation factor and all that. He will win another one. He just will, he's got it in his veins to win. Maybe he should take a year off and heal like said earlier, I'm not him so I don't know. Only he does. Everyone in the world of golf has a Tiger theory and honestly only Tiger knows. I think he should take his Nike hat and write a big 14 on it and on the back have it say "and counting" . He should go to the interview room and remind people "I've won 14 majors, how many have you won". Or remake the I'm Tiger Woods ad from a few years back to say "I'm Tiger F'n Woods" . He needs that attitude back. The I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, but I'm all out of gum. Just my three cents added to the pot.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

Ernie Els winning the Open in 2012 over a prime form Adam Scott really affected my perception of how these things will shake out. Most people would say Els was considered washed up at the time, still would probably. But history might remember it as his most impressive major win for all we know. The others weren't really, two of them in the pre-Woods era. If Els won another to make five, just as forty-something Phil did last year, would it be all that surprising? Is Phil done winning majors, I wouldn't put a bet on it. Even Vijay Singh at this point, what if he were to somehow make putts one week, he could also do it. Angel Cabrera is another one. Hell Kenny Perry came close at almost fifty. So probably give Tiger Woods some time to sort out his issues and to finally trust the swing and it's hard not to see him at least sneaking away with one at some point, after all there's a reason all these Hall of Fame players win a lot, and it's that they really are better than the rest.

Quote:
~~I added a poll. And then voted "No" in it. :-( I hope I'm wrong… but I don't think I am.

Tiger has never made a secret of the fact that he is chasing down Jacks' record. Now, with his injuries etc. I'm thinking that even he realises that he's more than likely not going to get there.

So, while he no doubt still loves to win, just maybe he doesn't have the vision and goal he once did.

Just thinking.............

Chris.:roll:

Id be surprised ig he doesn't get 15 by the PGA 2015. He's got 6 out of the next 8 at places he's either won or had a lot of success.

I voted yes, as I have to believe he will win a 15th major. I think it will be tough for him to beat Jack's record now though - the fields are too deep and too many good young players who don't fear him like they did in the past.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

I'm still on the wagon that Tiger still has a lot of time.  We can cite Phil Mickelson as an example.  He is 43 (turning 44 this year) and everyone still feels he has a LEGITIMATE chance of still winning majors.  Let's not forget, a couple of years ago Phil had some major arthritis issues that raised questions on the state of his future and then boom, he wins the British Open last year and pretty much throws away the US open weeks before that...all at the age of 43.  Ernie, who's game has been in shambles (serious putting issues) the last several years won the Open at 42, right in the middle of his struggles.

During a major, anything can happen and I have a hard time believing at some point in the next 4-5 years that Tiger won't stumble into another major.  If he didn't hit the flagstick at the Master's last year, what would have happened?  You can argue the momentum he would have had if that shock stuck close and became a birdie would have propelled him towards his 15th major.

We can have a very legitimate argument about getting to 18 but, getting to 15....it has to be a yes.  He is 39 now and while his back issue is one to have concern for, he should be able to overcome it (even if it takes a year).

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I voted no, albeit I think "no" is more of a probability than a certainty.  I'd say it's 70% he doesn't win a major again.   I think he's got the talent to do it, and it's really based more on the thinking that he's lost it in between his ears.  At least for now.   I can't help thinking of big time players who should have been able to win at least one more, but never did.

I base it on that he has won several times since his scandal, but he seems to press too much in the big ones and has faded in all of them.   The depths of the fields doesn't help his case, compared to years ago.  But that's not enough.   So many people have the talent out there, but cannot rise to the occasion.  I think he's pressing too much and history has shown that he doesn't change, so I don't see things aligning for him any time soon.   For Tiger fans, I hope that the 30% I think is enough to get him more.  Personally, I think he's 38 going on 45+.

—Adam

• 4 weeks later...

i think he will for sure. 2013, to me, is proof that tiger still has what it takes to play great golf. assuming his back surgery doesn't some how go terrible wrong, he will for sure. will he beat jacks record, that i don't no but he still can potentially, especially if he breaks that major slump soon.

I think he definitely will win another, and the real question is will he have another hot streak in his career, I don't expect anything like 01' and 02' but I think it's very possible he could suddenly get his game clicking again to a dominate level, I think he could have a run in his early 40's that could have him winning 2 or 3 majors by the time he hits 45 after that it's hard to say what his health will allow.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Note: This thread is 3651 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!