IGNORED

Tiger will not win another major

lumpuckeroo
Note: This thread is 3655 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Will Tiger Win a 15th Major?

• Yes
    • No

I wasn't able to watch much Tiger this weekend, but just looking at the stats he's still having some swing consistency issues and putting issues.

His drives are averaging over 300 yds so he still has power, but his GIR isn't that great. He's still well behind the leaders in putting stats, but part of that may also be due to issues with iron accuracy and missing scoring spots on the fairways.

On a web-broadcast I just watched Tiger's warm-up swing on the par-3 15th hole, and he looked like he was really thinking during his two practice-swings, but also appeared relaxed.  Since he's not going to win he's taking the right attitude to use the last round to practice a few things.  Hope he gets things fixed for next week.

2011 Goals:
* Improve club-head speed to 90 mph with the driver
* Ensure increased speed does not compromise accuracy
* Prevent overextending on the back-swing (left-arm is bending too much at the top)
* Relax arms initially at address ( too tense)* Play more full rounds (failed from 2010)

Having watched some coverage and looked at Shot Tracker, I'd say he needs to get his long game cleared up. He is really spraying the ball everywhere but on the fairway this week. His putting doesn't seem too bad, short game perhaps a bit dodgy, but he did put himself in a lot of difficult places. The GIR is surprisingly high, considering his driving accuracy. Iron game is pretty good once he gets the number right. Driving accuracy: Round 1: 36% Round 2: 57% Round 3: 29% Round 4: 39% Greens in regulation: Round 1: 67% Round 2: 61% Round 3: 72% Round 4: 61% Many of his missed fairways were not too far into the rough, which left him a good shot at the green, but it still makes it hard to make birdies. At the same time, he had a lot of big misses, putting himself behind trees all over the place, having to shape shots almost 90º and going high over the trees. At one shot today, he was trying to hit it high over some trees on his approach and caught it a bit fat, getting it only around 100 yards. You are always at a disadvantage when having to hit from the rough. Perhaps more so than normally on this course. There is potential, but he must get his driver fixed before he can start contending. I don't see him being a part of the playoffs this year.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by squaddie

I wasn't able to watch much Tiger this weekend, but just looking at the stats he's still having some swing consistency issues and putting issues.

His drives are averaging over 300 yds so he still has power, but his GIR isn't that great. He's still well behind the leaders in putting stats, but part of that may also be due to issues with iron accuracy and missing scoring spots on the fairways.

His iron game was actually good, or at least solid.  He struggled off the tee though, and didn't give himself many chances at clear approach shots.  When he did, he took advantage of them pretty well.  I don't know that he can get that cleaned up in time for next week, but he should be fine by the next season of majors as long as he doesn't re-injure himself.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

my .02

- putting wasn't as bad as commentators or tiger will lead you to believe.  I do think he's freezing over the ball before pulling the trigger on some putts and that might be due to rust.  Easy fix.

- driving accuracy over the weekend was the major problem.  His bogeys and worse all came from drives way off line, especially the double-cross variety.  He likes to go after the ball off the tee but I don't think his new swing or soft spikes allows him to do so anymore.

- iron game is as impressive as ever IMO.

Overall I think his tempo and the timing of his routine was a little inconsistent, I would put him as a favorite this week and if he can focus on the process, keep his balance, and swing within himself I think he'll contend.

• Upvote 1

Bag:
Driver and 3-wood: Titleist 910D3 9.5* + 910Df 15* w/ Aldila RIP 80 X flex
2-iron: King Cobra II Forged DG-x100

3-Hybrid: 20* Adams 9031DF DG-x100
4-9 irons: Bridgestone Tour Premium DG-s400
Wedges: Vokey 200 series: 48, 54, 60 DG-s400
Putter: original Cameron Newport gunmetal blue

• Administrator
Originally Posted by BunkerBuster

Anyone watching the PGA Championship can see Woods is done being a contender. I don't think Rory has it in him to be a major player either.

Yeah....

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Anyone watching the PGA Championship can see Woods is done being a contender. I don't think Rory has it in him to be a major player either.

To your first point, Ryo Ishikawa shot an 85. Granted he's much younger, but he also hasn't already won 14 majors. And Rory (who, after his U.S. Open win, is, by definition, a major player) shot a 70 with a sprained wrist so.....

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Jack won 17 majors in 18 years. Then he shot a great back 9 and got a 72nd hole gift from Norman in 1986. The bulk of his majors came in an 18 year span and he had a boatload of top 3s too. He had a lot of chances to win and made good 17 times in those 18 years.

Since '09, Tiger's contended at Augusta National and Pebble Beach. So that gives him one chance every year, and whenever they hold the Open at Pebble. Making up stats is fun. Seriously though, in spite of the runs he was on getting to 14, I'd be in no way surprised if he never won a tounament again. Any tournament.

Exactly right in summing up Jack's majors run. I get so tired of people stating "Jack won his last major at age 46, so Tiger has at least 10 years to break his record". The fact is Jack was effectively done as a major championship winner after turning 41. Over the next 20 majors before winning the 86' Masters Jack had only 3 top 3s. And now, at age 35 Tiger has exactly the same amount of majors as Jack had, but has played 15 seasons on the PGA Tour compared to Jack's 14 at age 35 and that is a factor in the wear and tear every bit as much as age. Tiger doesn't have plenty of time, it's running out on him.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Statistics... meh. All he needs is to have a balance of feeling fresh, and feeling in tune with the game. I'm gonna say he wins one next season. My guess is the U.S. Open.

The only thing I think that could go against him if he's feelin good is the young talent.

Originally Posted by BunkerBuster

I agree. It's so obvious. Guy should just quit now. Rory too, cuz he sucks.

/sarcasm.

I agree. It's so obvious. Guy should just quit now. Rory too, cuz he sucks.

/sarcasm.

That Ryo guy too, what a bum.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Won't win another major.... I think he will win another one

I say that 3 years ago I was pretty certain he would at least tie Jacks record and now I'm pretty certain he won't.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

• 3 weeks later...

3 outta every 4 majors each year require throwing your approach shot onto the green. The British Open allows you to run your ball up.  In the British your older more experienced player does not have an overwhelming disadvantage because of loss of distance.  Year in and year out the experienced [older] player will have a chance to renew his youth at the British.....At the US Open, the Masters and the PGA the length required will make it much more difficult for the older golfer to compete.  Not that he won't but he'll need to have an out of body experience vs just having a superb week at the British.  Examine the records of the older players at the US. PGA and Masters.....So maybe an Old guy will win, but he'll win the British and only the British.

Originally Posted by FLOG4

3 outta every 4 majors each year require throwing your approach shot onto the green. The British Open allows you to run your ball up.  In the British your older more experienced player does not have an overwhelming disadvantage because of loss of distance.  Year in and year out the experienced [older] player will have a chance to renew his youth at the British.....At the US Open, the Masters and the PGA the length required will make it much more difficult for the older golfer to compete.  Not that he won't but he'll need to have an out of body experience vs just having a superb week at the British.  Examine the records of the older players at the US. PGA and Masters.....So maybe an Old guy will win, but he'll win the British and only the British.

Some older players also contend at The Masters every year because 1.) it's early in their season, 2.) the venue is relatively unchanged (albeit lengthened) year to year (most notably they know the greens), and if they've ever won it, they're in the field every year so number of attempts are in their favour.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Crazy talk in my opinion. One thing that everyone who plays golf should be able to agree on, is that there are no guarantees. The simple answer is, the OP doesn't know if Tiger will win and neither do any of us. Like him or hate him, nobody knows. If you want to root against him that's one thing but to bring up statistics, in golf of all things let alone any sport, crazy..  Who knew the Giants would have won the World Series from prior to the season? Who knew the Mavericks would win the NBA Championship? Better yet, who knew exactly who was going to win each of the past 4 majors in golf by name and score?

There are no guarantees in sports . Everything is a variable - any given Sunday does apply.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

He'll find a girl to settle down with and he will come back, give it time, he just had a traumatic short amount of time in his life..

In my Hoofer C-1:  Big Dog:  SFTP 10.5 (210g head w/ hotmelt in the toe/ 1* open)-Axivcore Black 79x. 3 metal:  i15 15.5* -Axivcore Red 79x. Rescue:  A12 Pro 20* Matrix Ozik Altus X. Irons:  J36 Combo CB 3-6 MB 7-P- Project X 6.0 Flighted. Wedges: Spin Milled Non-CC 53/9 & 59/7 - DG X100's. Putter:  Studio Stainless Newport 2.5

• 1 month later...

Originally Posted by makaveli

How about discussing this question first: "Will Tiger win another PGA tournament?"

Then we can discuss about majors IMHO...

I grew up a huge Jack Niclaus fan. In fact I have one of his 1986 Masters putters and use it today. I have never rooted for Tiger.  BUT   I'm a gambling man.  I'd take the bet Will Tiger win another PGA tournament and I'd bet the ranch.

Note: This thread is 3655 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!