IGNORED

Tiger Confirmed for Firestone

Note: This thread is 3646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm so nervous for Tiger.  The longer he waited to get healthy, the higher the expectations got about how he'll play upon his return.  If he purports to be 100%, we will once again, more or less, expe

My grand scheme is apparently of a much larger scope than yours.

You are confusing the hell out of me lol. Certainly it won't matter much for Tiger's career but if he were to win this week after so long off and just him being who he is I think that media will treat

As do I. He really needs to be completely healed so he can get back to business.  Playing hurt isn't good for him. If he is healthy 100% it is nothing but great for the game.

Originally Posted by tmf9

Thank god, hope his health is finally at 100%.

I just hope he doesn't break down again halfway through his first round. He kept saying he was going to wait longer before coming back this time but you don't know if temptation got the better of him. It'd be nice to see some great golf from him again but I'm not holding my breath, for Firestone at least.

Awesome! Looking forward to the Bridgestone. Is anyone as surprised as this guy? http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/Tiger-Woods-returns-to-action-next-week-at-Fires?urn=golf-wp4160
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Tiger Spuds

I just hope he doesn't break down again halfway through his first round. He kept saying he was going to wait longer before coming back this time but you don't know if temptation got the better of him. It'd be nice to see some great golf from him again but I'm not holding my breath, for Firestone at least.

Well, he did wait since May. It will be August. It's not the April-May delay from the last time. So just on that he did wait longer... but who knows the relative severity of the "two" injuries (original and re-aggravation... the latter of which may have been worse).

He thought he was ready last time, but quit after nine holes. His swing tend to change a bit from range to tee, so we will have to see what happens. I hope he's not trying too soon to get some FedEx points for the playoffs and will end up injured again. I'll flinch every time he makes a shot.

Originally Posted by Zeph

He thought he was ready last time, but quit after nine holes. His swing tend to change a bit from range to tee, so we will have to see what happens.

I hope he's not trying too soon to get some FedEx points for the playoffs and will end up injured again. I'll flinch every time he makes a shot.

If Tiger skipped the US Open, and the British Open I don't think hes coming back just to make the FedEx cup.

Let's hope he won't miss the PGA Championship because of the Firestone!

Originally Posted by tmf9

If Tiger skipped the US Open, and the British Open I don't think hes coming back just to make the FedEx cup.

Im excited to see Tiger back on the course but Sean Foley was quoted about a week ago saying that Tiger hasnt even been hitting balls. Here is the quote I found.

Swing coach Sean Foley said in a text message Tuesday night that the pair have not been working together, which seemingly creates the very real possibility that Woods will miss the PGA Championship next month, too. Bridgestone and the PGA are staged in consecutive weeks and Woods has regularly played in both.

“We have not hit any balls,” Foley wrote Tuesday night. “And I have no idea what his plans are as far as when he plays again. It’s up to the doctors.”

This was discussed elsewhere. It means they have not worked together....not that Tiger hasn't hit any balls.

Originally Posted by TheSavage

Im excited to see Tiger back on the course but Sean Foley was quoted about a week ago saying that Tiger hasnt even been hitting balls. Here is the quote I found.

Swing coach Sean Foley said in a text message Tuesday night that the pair have not been working together, which seemingly creates the very real possibility that Woods will miss the PGA Championship next month, too. Bridgestone and the PGA are staged in consecutive weeks and Woods has regularly played in both.

“We have not hit any balls,” Foley wrote Tuesday night. “And I have no idea what his plans are as far as when he plays again. It’s up to the doctors.”

Just read on ESPN where he had clearance from the doctor to hit full shots so I don't think hes rushing anything.

I'm so nervous for Tiger.  The longer he waited to get healthy, the higher the expectations got about how he'll play upon his return.  If he purports to be 100%, we will once again, more or less, expect him to win, or at least expect him to be fully capable of winning.  With all that's gone on, I don't think he's capable of winning next week, I think a great result is simply solid, sound play, with good course management, maybe a top 10.  However, if he finishes in the top 10, I fear the talk will be, "Tiger's lost that fire, he didn't seem driven to win."  If he finishes out of the top 10, it may instead be, "he came back too early, really wasn't sharp," and the "will he ever win another major" debate will get yet more fuel.

Which leads to why I'm really nervous, which is, the only way Tiger can finally stop this circus of speculation after whatever tournaments he plays in the rest of this year, is to win.  And despite how many times he has risen above seemingly insurmountable odds, and his once-nearly infallible mental toughness, considering how many really good players.......REALLY good players.....go entire seasons without winning a tournament, that's simply a inter-galactic amount of pressure.

I won't start any sort of debate about, "understanding what it's like to be Tiger" as regards what happened in his personal life, but I will encourage any Tiger nay-sayers to, cut the guy a little break.  I mean, think about what I said above, to be Tiger this week.  Could any of us even remotely handle that kind of scrutiny, and examination, and speculation, and pressure??  I'll tell you right now, I'd crumble like a three-day-old cookie.  Even though I think he's in a bit of a lose-lose situation, I do hope he can just play the game well, satisfy whatever his own goals are for the tournament, and take a step toward becoming relevant again, and pushing others to play their best, too.

• Upvote 2

Note: This thread is 3646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!