IGNORED

Strange Putter Quandary

Note: This thread is 3637 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I posted this in the main forum but perhaps that was the wrong place, since I got no responses:

One of the things I've read in several places is to find a putter that looks good to you and that you feel comfortable with.  Recently I bought a used putter at my local golf store.  It is called a Hog and it has a very large grip and the shaft tapers down smoothly from being very fat at the grip end to being normal diameter at the clubhead end.  The clubhead is an oversized "ping" type clubhead that is also pretty heavy (but not as heavy as the Heavy Putters).  I know that it is an unusual putter but since my golf shop has a 30-day return it for full store credit policy, I figured what the heck.

So I've been playing with it for about 5 rounds now and I have decided that I am not really all that comfortable with it.  I don't feel like I have good feel for distance and it doesn't seem like I am bringing the putter smoothly back and through.  So what is the problem?  With this putter I am putting the best I had ever putted in my life.  I have gone from struggling to get under 36 putts to averaging about 30 putts.  Now I am not stupid and I am not going to switch away from it, but it just seems weird to putt so well with a putter I feel so uncomfortable with.

Anyone ever experienced anything similar?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I know that situation.  I have a $40 brass inserted in aluminum, bought used (beat up)  putter that feels ok, not dead, yet not alive, and addresses worse. Right now I'm hot with it and putting better then a $300 milled carbon steel putter that feels wonderful.

Originally Posted by Putt with Grace

Sounds like you need a Bobby Grace Putter. They feel great, look great and putt even better.

Check us out.

Really?

Come on now....that is just LAME

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Really?

Come on now....that is just LAME

My favourite bit was the lack of reading the original post...

Originally Posted by turtleback

Now I am not stupid and I am not going to switch away from it...

Sounds like you need a Bobby Grace Putter. They feel great, look great and putt even better.

I have always used you the theory "you have to like what you're looking down at" when it comes to golf clubs period. I think that if you don't like the look of the club in your hand you probably won't hit it well.

I wasn't going to mention this because of that blatant advertising attempt,  but now that it's the punchline I have too. (I can't resist a good punchline.)

The $40 club described below is a McGregor Bobby Grace model.

PS: I don't approve of advertising within forums by dealers or manufacturers.

Originally Posted by The Tin Man

Yes I know that situation.  I have a $40 brass inserted in aluminum, bought used (beat up)  putter that feels ok, not dead, yet not alive, and addresses worse. Right now I'm hot with it and putting better then a $300 milled carbon steel putter that feels wonderful.

Originally Posted by The Tin Man

PS: I don't approve of advertising within forums by dealers or manufacturers.

I don't have a problem with it if people in the trade clearly identify their affiliations. But they're sure as hell not going to win friends and influence people by just mindlessly touting their product in every semi-relevant thread, without contributing anything to the discussion.

PS: One of the guys I play with every Tuesday has an old MacGregor Bobby Grace V-Foil. He's an absolute friggin' bandit with that thing.

OK - that's different, your supporting me mouthing off.

Boys, you need to lighten up, it was a half hearted statement just based on his post. Tin man we are a advertising sponsor on this site, and sponsors are encourged to be on the forums to promote and talk to the people here about their products.

Boys, you need to lighten up, it was a half hearted statement just based on his post.

I'm not fussed whether you advertise or don't advertise to be honest; I just found it funny that you jumped on another putter-related thread but this time didn't read the original post properly and just tried to sell a new putter to someone who said he is blown away by his current putter and has no intention of changing it.

Boys, you need to lighten up, it was a half hearted statement just based on his post. Tin man we are a advertising sponsor on this site, and sponsors are encourged to be on the forums to promote and talk to the people here about their products.

Just curious, how are we supposed to know that?  Other sponsors usually mention that they are.  Some of us are a little protective of iacas because of the time and energy he has put forth to make this place for us.  And we don't like to see his hospitality abused by freeloaders advertising here.  Obviously some folks thought that was happening, even though it wasn't, apparently.  In the future you might want to think about labeling your posts as coming from a sponsor?

And I'm still not sure why, when I posted that my new putter has cut my putts per round by about 5, you would say I need one of your putters .  That just looked . . . silly.

Perhaps you should look at his signature, avatar, and the fact that he is an insider. It is clear as day.

iacas doesn't need any protecting.

Originally Posted by turtleback

Just curious, how are we supposed to know that?  Other sponsors usually mention that they are.  Some of us are a little protective of iacas because of the time and energy he has put forth to make this place for us.  And we don't like to see his hospitality abused by freeloaders advertising here.  Obviously some folks thought that was happening, even though it wasn't, apparently.  In the future you might want to think about labeling your posts as coming from a sponsor?

And I'm still not sure why, when I posted that my new putter has cut my putts per round by about 5, you would say I need one of your putters .  That just looked . . . silly.

I had something like this happen to me 2 weeks ago.

I had my putter cut down by 3" and the grip changed out to a FATSO.

My short puts are dead on but the look and feel made me uncomfortable and unconfident on long puts.

I took an old traditional putter and the new one to a green and spent a good hour alternating between the two.

Try it and see what you find.

Note: This thread is 3637 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!