IGNORED

Looking for someone that has suffered from taking the club too far inside and is now cured

Note: This thread is 4375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by carpediem4300

yeah i think i started with the average S&T; swing, hitting down, which didnt help me much

as soon as I set up behind the ball and dropped my right shoulder so i was hitting up i was either getting straight push or push draw, but not much distance :S

Right now, all I care about is not coming outside-in with the club face closed. I want to hit from the inside with the club face slightly open to the target line in order to hit a slight draw. If I over draw, I don't care too much at the moment.

Originally Posted by Stretch

For me, the quick way to get a slightly higher trajectory is to play a push fade off the tee. Still hitting out at it, but the open stance seems to make it easier to drop the right shoulder and get up on the left leg.

I'm happy with the trajectory, I am hitting it plenty high enough, I just want to start hitting the ball better so I can gain some more yards.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

Thanks, I watched this video prior to playing and it certainly helped. By the way, I am still trying to hit up on the ball rather than down with the driver.

Why would you not continue with your negative AOA? It seems like we are talking about this in 3 or 4 different threads on this forum but I just do not understand the logic in changing it.

I'm a lefty, but I do not like dropping my left (rear) shoulder. In my opinion doing this can very easily change your angle if you are not careful causing you to lean away from the target to feel like you are dropping the rear shoulder. I like to feel as though I am tilting towards the target with my lead shoulder which seems to keep my shoulders fairly level at address.

Originally Posted by CuppedTin

Why would you not continue with your negative AOA?

I'm a lefty, but I do not like dropping my left (rear) shoulder. In my opinion doing this can very easily change your angle if you are not careful causing you to lean away from the target to feel like you are dropping the rear shoulder. I like to feel as though I am tilting towards the target with my lead shoulder which seems to keep my shoulders fairly level at address.

Because my negative AoA is due to my OTT move. I am working on turning my torso more during my backswing in order to hit the ball more from the inside (more shallow). I am also working on keeping my hands down and not raising them off of my torso. With regards to my shoulders, I think left shoulder under chin, right shoulder IN like my hands. I played again today and was really hitting it well, especially the driver. I hit every green and fairway on the front 9 striking the ball really well. I lost it on the back 9 as I started to try and hit the ball harder and started pulling everything.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

I couldn't be happier with my switch to S&T.; Today was my best ball striking round for a long, long time. Compression. What a feeling!

2011 season:

Pre- S&T;:

FIR: 53.2%

GIR: 55.4%

Last 4 rounds using S&T;:

FIR: 67.9%

GIR: 61.1%

just to let you know i played on Tuesday night, using the S&T; swing for the driver, and just using the feeling of taking the club "Straight Back" got me so much more on plane, i hit it on the sweetspot probably every drive, and my gps tracker had my longest drive at 311yards, averaged around 270 throughout the round (aided by solid fairways though)

ball flight was either straight and fairway splitting or starting 10 yards right of the line and gently drawing back to line

when taking my two practice swings i can tell when im taking it to inside because i can see the blur of the clubhead going out-in almost in a semi circle, but when i take it straight back the path is either striaght down the line or marginally in-out-down the line

this swing thought also materialised with my 5W, which was nice as ive never hit that damn club well!!

keep us updated on what progress your making

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

just to let you know i played on Tuesday night, using the S&T; swing for the driver, and just using the feeling of taking the club "Straight Back" got me so much more on plane, i hit it on the sweetspot probably every drive, and my gps tracker had my longest drive at 311yards, averaged around 270 throughout the round (aided by solid fairways though)

ball flight was either straight and fairway splitting or starting 10 yards right of the line and gently drawing back to line

when taking my two practice swings i can tell when im taking it to inside because i can see the blur of the clubhead going out-in almost in a semi circle, but when i take it straight back the path is either striaght down the line or marginally in-out-down the line

this swing thought also materialised with my 5W, which was nice as ive never hit that damn club well!!

I've suffered from the inside takeaway and finally worked on over the winter. Took me awhile to get used to the feeling - taking the club straight back felt so awkward. Lowered my index from 19.4 in March to 12.0 as of yesterday, mostly due to fixing this error. Video is so important (or have a knowledgeable person watch your swing). They always say the first 18 inches or so in your takeaway will make or break a successful swing - I believe it.

(I'm not putting it out there 300+ though; need to work on that )

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

Good going! And you are a 24 handicapper?? That needs to come down this summer! ;-) So, let me get this clear, you are using S&T; but not the hands IN component? Right now, I'm not too concerned with the inside takeaway as I am hitting the ball well. I'll film myself one of these days to take a look at what I'm doing, but right now I have enough to work on for quite a while!

Originally Posted by soloredd

I've suffered from the inside takeaway and finally worked on over the winter. Took me awhile to get used to the feeling - taking the club straight back felt so awkward. Lowered my index from 19.4 in March to 12.0 as of yesterday, mostly due to fixing this error. Video is so important (or have a knowledgeable person watch your swing). They always say the first 18 inches or so in your takeaway will make or break a successful swing - I believe it.

(I'm not putting it out there 300+ though; need to work on that )

How did you cure the inside error?

300+? No, nor am I!!!

How did you cure the inside error?

300+? No, nor am I!!!

Much practice, most of it concerning my brain. My brain kept thinking my takeaway was too far outside so I would gradually get back to the "too far inside" move. I had been doing it so long it felt "right". Which is where probably most of us are. So I just hit the range and this is all I focused on. I am now at the point where I have a pre-shot check: I use Anthony Kim's waggle move, where at address he does about a 1/4 takeaway then re-addresses the ball. I do it in order to get the proper line of where my clubhead should be moving. Then I swing away.

And my 300+ comment was not directed toward anyone just a light joke!

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

At the minute my handicap is tracking at 23.8 according to golfshake.com    I shot 9 holes yesterday at 45 which isnt great but consistent, hoping I can get my handicap down alot over the next few months, need to work on my chipping and putting big time though

indeed I seem to be building my own hybrid swing lol, My intial set up is your standard driver set up, ball slightly under left ear, wide stance, left toe pointing closer towards target, shaft leaning away from the ball and right shoulder dipped. just before my backswing i pre-load the weight on my left foot so my backswing cause my left knee to kick in and take most of my weight, and the downswing pushes me forward. I didnt track my driver yesterday as time was short but they were in generally the same areas as before. RE:HANDS, occasionally ill bring them in, but because my swing is so set up for the straight/straight draw, if i hands in now i get a nasty hook, i find taking my hands and club head straight back works for me, as its only the "feeling of doing so" im actually probably closer to swinging on a nuetral plane

Good going! And you are a 24 handicapper?? That needs to come down this summer! ;-) So, let me get this clear, you are using S&T; but not the hands IN component? Right now, I'm not too concerned with the inside takeaway as I am hitting the ball well. I'll film myself one of these days to take a look at what I'm doing, but right now I have enough to work on for quite a while!

A great thought for all shots as far as hitting higher shots as well as making sure you are not too far ahead of the ball when striking it is as the club is coming into the impact zone focus on looking at the back of the ball when you hit it. This will do 2 things; 1 it will keep you from "peeking" too soon and perhaps sculling the shot and 2 it will keep you focused on where the ball should be struck......at the equator as well as allowing you the natural feeling of following through the shot and should bring you into a nice balanced finish position.

on a seperate note handicap is down to 17.2 :D from 28 6 weeks ago lol

• Upvote 1

on a seperate note handicap is down to 17.2 :D from 28 6 weeks ago lol

Well done, but there are still too many digits before the decimal point in your handicap! ;-) Although, I have to say the progression is excellent.

I had a very poor day yesterday (80) at a course I'd never played before, but today was much better at my home course (71). I didn't hit it all that well but still managed 10 FIR and 12 GIR, so I know I am still on the right track.

• 2 months later...

Originally Posted by iacas

You may just think "Ricky Fowler's takeaway." It'll probably have to feel that extreme for awhile.

I have managed to make excellent progress with this exact feeling. I have to feel as if I'm severely rolling the forearms closed. What has really helped has been videoing my swing at the range and trying different things until I like what I see. It feels all wrong, but you can't argue with the video camera.

video your swing and analyze it, will really help you figure out your game,...just because you come really inside doesnt mean its all my, my angle of attack is STEEP, and on TARGET....my divots attest to this

My AoA is also very steep as I am coming over the top by quite a bit. It's actually harder to fix than the inside takeaway!!

My AoA is also very steep as I am coming over the top by quite a bit. It's actually harder to fix than the inside takeaway!!

Try this drill, set-up with the hips forward, weight forward, hands forward and extend the legs on the followthrough.  Hips forward shallows everything out.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!