IGNORED

Why does my driver slice and my irons go straight?

doobie88
Note: This thread is 3185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Have you heard about the d-plane? If you hit down on your irons, your club path needs to be going left of your target to hit it straight. This path with a driver, especially if you swing up at the ball, will tend to be much further left thanthe club face, resulting in a slice.

Joe McNulty

5SK™ Director of Instruction, Cape Cod, MA

Driver - D3 9.5

3-Wood - SQ 15

Hybrid - 17 Adams

4-PW - 714 AP2

50, 56 & 60 - Vokeys

Putter - Scotty

Ball - Pro V1x

• 3 years later...
Im no expert, but there seems to be some bad advice in this thread so far. I suggest checking this thread out: http://thesandtrap.com/t/77244/how-to-hit-a-driver-hit-it-further-and-stop-slicing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Could be your weight shift, ball position, clubface.  Video would help.

In the meantime, maybe this will help.

Good luck.

Brian   

Standing FURTHER from ball = draw

CLOSER = fade

A pro @ lesson will say so

I'm pretty inexperienced but I've had the exact opposite experience.Standing further out made me come over the top. When I started standing closer I hit either straight or a draw mainly.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

I'm not sure if this will help, but I play the same driver.  I used to slice the hell out of it until I had it cut down from 46" to 44 1/2 ".  It is really hard to hit a 46" driver correctly.  Think about cutting it down a bunch.  You don't lose much distance, but it is a hundred times easier to hit.  At Golf Galaxy you can get a shaft cut down a new grip installed (I use Golf Pride VDR) for about $8.  If you are 6'5", ignore this.  But my game is much better playing a 44 1/2" driver than a 46".  And my misses were always slices. Another chief cause of slices for a beginner is that they stand too far away from the ball at address.  A good way to try to check this is, before you swing, drop your right hand off the club and let gravity take it (no muscle, just let it drop).  If it drops straight down, you are good.  If, however, it drops back toward your body on its way down you are too far away from the ball.

The fly z plus I started hitting this year is about an inch shorter than the amp cell I was hitting (I think it is 45) and I'm 6'4 and I don't Mind the loss of the inch at all. I think it has help. I went from horrible slicing when I first started years ago and last year I started to over compensate and hit horrible hooks, now I have found middle ground a bit and hit a straight to small draw (there is the occasional miss admittedly). TS one thing I started remembering to do was the swing and be mindful to square that face at impact. I wasn't doing that. I turned my club face ever slightly at address and turned my wrists over a small amount right when I make contact. ....then again I am not a pro or a coach and this hl could honestly be horrible advice. But it has worked for me

Thinking ironically that going to a less flex shaft on driver than irons would do the trick - this was magic for my golf buddy - presto chango, happy guy ... I know, it's backwards rationale but can't argue with results

Used to be in the same boat. I now just baby tap my driver, put it 220-240 in the fairway, and play my approach with a 8-5 iron (160-200yd). Went from double bogey average to bogey average from almost that one change. Once I figure out how to actually hit the thing I might break 80 a few more times! LOL

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

Im no expert, but there seems to be some bad advice in this thread so far.

I suggest checking this thread out:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/77244/how-to-hit-a-driver-hit-it-further-and-stop-slicing

I am better with my irons than my woods. Also have experience the same problems. This is a good thread with useful information

I tend to have more upright swing and steep which is good for irons but hitting down especially from the outside can cause a slice with driver when I swing the same way as my irons.

With the driver, I think the main difference as oppose to irons is

hitting up, shallow out the swing so it feels more like a "drive"

I think for me the hardest part is trying to swallowing out , as I also feel I have to have to have the clubhead graze the grass before the ball before clubhead collides with ball off the tee.

Note: This thread is 3185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!