IGNORED

Two Questions about flipping

Note: This thread is 4610 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I feel like when I flip my wrists at impact, I don't get consistent results. For example, I'll top a ball, I'll hit a huge divot before the ball ,etc. Some slice, some hook...Does that have anything to do with flipping?

it's hard to say without seeing your swing and set-up, but if your swing and setup is solid then a too wristy follow through will make the ball go left.

top a ball and hitting it fat is generally cause by balance incorrectness, eg you drop your head and weight down to hit it fat or your jumping it and leaning back to top the ball... topping seems more likely the result of flipping your wrists wayyyyyyy to early

Yeah I feel like I top my long irons mostly because I'm trying to hit the ball up instead of striking it in the correct spot. I have a video on here, it's not that good but I'll reupload. A guy froze it and said my weight isn't getting to my front side and I'm flipping. I've fixed my posture and alignment a lot since that last video but the downswing/release looks terrible IMO.

I'm not one to be giving too many swing lessons, but I'd say work on your tempo. Maybe just slow everything down a bit, might help with more consistent ball contact. I too struggle with flipping so I'll keep watching this thread.

In my Bag (work in progress):

Driver: TaylorMade 10.5* R11, Regular Shaft
3W: TaylorMade Burner 15*

3Hy: Nike SQ Sumo Hybrid
Irons: 2005 TaylorMade Rac OS, 4-AW

Wedge: Cleveland CG14 56*, old dingy 64* wedge that I have no business using

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour Putter or a Cleveland Classic Anser-Style

Kicks: Footjoy E-Comforts

Ball: Used Titleist DT Solos.

For sure from that video you are flipping the club.  You are flat footed in the follow through and your buddy was right about not getting weight enough forward.  The more forward you can get yourself the loner the arc gets and it slows down the over taking (flip).

Could also be flipping more because your face is to open in the downswing and you flip to square it.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm a recovering flipper who is not fully cured.  Flipping causes inconsistent contact especially lots of thin and topped shots.  IMO, there is nothing worse than a topped shot....including fat shots.

Here's my most recent flipping/topping event submitted for your enjoyment.  I was playing well last Sunday but on a par 3 with a forced carry over water I topped my tee shot.  I knew I was doing it as I swung the club, but it's like remembering you left your keys in the car as you close the locked door.  Too late.  The ball went barely 75' to the rough in front of the front tee box where I had to play my second shot.  "Fortunately," this hole is right in front of the clubhouse.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Yep, at impact it looks like your left wrist is bent and the right wrist is flat, and the club head is ahead of the hands.  (This is as close to impact as I could get it to stop)

new-1.tif

And immediately after impact, both elbows are pulled into the body.

new-2.tif

For the life of me I couldn't get the video to pause to see if you were casting the club or not, or throwing away the lag, but my suspicion is that you might be.

Here is a couple examples of a good hands forward impact position; flat left wrist, bent right wrist.. (from andrewricegolf.com)

Video-25-0-00-33-03-2.jpg

woosnam.png

johnson.png

2006-04-12_102411_manzella.jpg

Yes, you are flipping, but there is good news, I would say somewhere on the order of 85-90% of golfers flip, so you are not alone. Even some pro's flip. There is a Master thread on flipping. Lots of good information on flipping and how to prevent it there.

I will add that it is a process and will take some time to improve it. Thoughts like weight left at impact, turn your hips, are sound advice but alone they will not stop you from flipping.

Michael

I was there too.  Flipping caused me to hit every shot imagineable.  It causes very inconsistent results.  My issue was my hip turn.  My hips would stop turning and get me stuck which caused me to flip.  The videos were horrible.  But it was just the frame before impact. I had done it for a LONG time so it was hard for me to get rid of.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Originally Posted by Fowlerfan19

First off, thanks everyone for all the help. I appreciate it. Secondly, what should the elbows be doing after impact? A poster above said both of my elbows are pulled into the body. What should they be doing?

Ideally, after impact your left elbow folds and right arm is straight as you complete the swing (remember to complete the swing!).

tiger_followthru.jpeg

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

Your follow thru is mostly going to be a reaction to what you have done prior. The main thing I see is your lower body is stalled. So your arms do all the work and you throw all your power and clubhead out well before you get to the ball. My guess is very high fades or pulls.

If I were in your shoes I would do some drills with 1/2 swings with your weight forward like this guy.

There is a video of iacas doing it as well. This will help you get the weight to your left side and help you hit down on the ball.

Michael

Played 18 today and on the front 9 I was struggling a lot. So for the back 9 I decided to extend my hands a bit at address and started hitting the ball great. Wasn't flipping as much as usual but I still had some shots that sliced with the driver. Irons were dead straight and pretty long. I've been struggling with my long irons and I was able to get the ball in the air today. Just curious, would it be better for me to have my hands very close to my body or extended out? I usually have my hands pretty close...back 9 extended them out to a little bit in front of my chin.

When you take your stance let go of the club so it leans up against you and let your hands hang naturally, that is right about where you hands should be in relation to your body.

Every really good drive or long shot I have done, my finish has always just felt right.  I don't always realize what I'm doing prior, but at the end, my body is fairly upright, arms extended, and it feels effortless.  You almost feel like you're posing at the end, but you can't help it.  I sometimes wonder if you could just practice driving by trying to get to that perfect finishing position and not worrying so much about everything else.  If you're flipping at impact, you won't finish in the correct position.  You most likely will swing flatter and come across your body more, leading to a hook.  Hooks don't feel good, but they feel better than letting go to much and slicing.

G15 Driver 10.5° * G10 Draw 4-Wood * G10 Hybrid 18° * i3+ 3-SW Irons

Tour Action 60° LW

SLOTLINE J-Stroke Putter

I'm pretty new to golf...so if your hands are too close to your body at address could that cause an outside to inside swing path? I feel like this is a big problem for me, more so on my driver than my irons. That's why I extended my hands out a little bit more and was making very good contact. My left hand is lined up with my chin. Is that too far of extension?

Note: This thread is 4610 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!