IGNORED

Leaving Tees in the Box

tx_basser
Note: This thread is 4632 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

whenever i rip a real solid drive, one of those that i don't even have to see, i KNOW it's going right up the middle, i snatch my tee out of the ground like it owes me money.  it's almost like a victory move for me, haha.  but even if i hit a bad shot, i'll get my tee out of the ground, and like a lot of other people in this thread, if it's good, back into the pocket... if it's broken, toss off to the side.  i would throw it in the trash can if there was one on every hole, but most of the courses i play at, there's only a trash can every third hole or so.

It's just as screwed up to toss them aside. There is a garbage can on every tee box.

Originally Posted by tx_basser

I guess I don't get it.... why do people leave their Tee's still stuck in the ground on the Tee Box.  Seems awful lazy to me.  I always pull mine up and if not broken put in my pocket, but if broken toss it aside.  But never left sticking in the ground.

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

I guess I don't get it.... why do people leave their Tee's still stuck in the ground on the Tee Box.  Seems awful lazy to me.  I always pull mine up and if not broken put in my pocket, but if broken toss it aside.  But never left sticking in the ground.

Same thing here. I'm all for saving a tee, since over the life of my bag of tees it will probably save me a couple rounds worth of tees. And unless it's broken practically at the ground line, it's worth pulling and moving to the side so someone else doesn't have it in their way. I wish courses would have their tee boxes cleaned more often. It would take less than a minute to rake it with shallow, soft-tipped rake, and you'd remove 75% of the tees by doing so. Maybe send one of the kids around in super-twilight to spend 30 or 40 minutes cleaning 9 of the teeboxes every few days.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by B-Con

I wish courses would have their tee boxes cleaned more often. It would take less than a minute to rake it with shallow, soft-tipped rake, and you'd remove 75% of the tees by doing so. Maybe send one of the kids around in super-twilight to spend 30 or 40 minutes cleaning 9 of the teeboxes every few days.

Or people(players) could take a little responsibility and properly dispose of their broken tees...

I have 2 different ziploc bags that I keep tees in. One is for my full 2 3/4" tees, and the other is for half tees or smaller. Par-3 tees are usually just going to be pressed all the way down so that the head of the tee is on the ground anyway, so virtually any tee you find is good enough.

Sometimes I do walk off though, as I'm sure 99.999% of us do, after a bad shot and it is the last thing on my mind.

LOL!!!  Ditto!

All these years of playing, I have NEVER bought any tees.  I find them more than I lose them, so I keep accumulating tons of tees.  I have two shoe box full of tees that I have found over the years of playing.

Originally Posted by Topper

I hope they don't stop leaving tees or I'll have to eventually buy some.

• Upvote 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Same with me, I never intentionally leave them there, and usually don't realize I did until the next tee box.

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

I always mean to pick mine up but I forget a lot.  Usually happens when I hit a bad shot because I am kinda frustrated and just walk off the tee box right away.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by The Gill

It's just as screwed up to toss them aside. There is a garbage can on every tee box.

I wouldn't say that it's inconsiderate to toss it aside.  If there isn't a little tee collector next to the markers, I usually just toss it right next to the tee marker.  I know I use the nubs all the time when I'm not hitting driver and I would think someone else might want to as well.

Originally Posted by imtomtomim

I wouldn't say that it's inconsiderate to toss it aside.  If there isn't a little tee collector next to the markers, I usually just toss it right next to the tee marker.  I know I use the nubs all the time when I'm not hitting driver and I would think someone else might want to as well.

Let them use their own tee. If you had some candy bar left because you didn't want the whole thing, would you leave it by the tee just in case someone else is hungry or would you throw it away?  I find all littering inconsiderate.

If there is no trash barrel/tee collector where do you put it? It's not like you're throwing plastic bottles around. I'm not about having a pocket full of used tees on me walking around the course. I will reuse my tees and do remove them from the box, usually I stick one in my hat as I hate playing with stuff in my pockets. But if it's smashed I throw it to the side (there are usually a few hanging around)

Point being: it seems to be generally acceptable to toss broken tees aside if no receptacle is present on or reasonably close to the box.

Originally Posted by shades9323

Let them use their own tee. If you had some candy bar left because you didn't want the whole thing, would you leave it by the tee just in case someone else is hungry or would you throw it away?  I find all littering inconsiderate.

I leave half tees at par 3 tee boxes, because myself, and every golfer I have ever golfed with, uses them.

Far stretch to call it littering IMO

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Let's be honest though, the occasional cigarette butt on the green/fairway/teebox is just super inconsiderate and poor taste. I'd rather see tees than that and I'm a smoker myself! Over the weekend we saw a cigarette butt on/near almost every green/teebox. Smoke and put it out and set it in your cart (after it is out so it's not burning the plastic) and throw the butt away. This was not even the nicest of courses, but I'm sure it was just a specific guy/group with no etiquette or common sense.

In my honest opinion (and I may get flamed for this), -ALL- golf courses should institute a dress code as well. Collared shirts, golf shoes, no denim! Seeing a guy right behind me in a harley-davidson cut-off T-Shirt with ripped up jean shorts and pumps just does not scream "Golf". That's not being elitist or looking down on someone for the way they dress, but it is a golf course after all. The part that was more funny is that they were clowning on "golf gear" and how ridiculous it looks? I did get my share of laughs in though.

My idea to back the above statement is that you would most likely see more etiquette on the course. People who take the time to conform to the game's tradition will usually not do certain things that are frowned upon. Surely you will still have issues, but it would definitely cut the ratio down.

please excuse my inexperience (less than 90 days into my golf career), but i just think that whatever i take with me onto the course, i should take with me off of the course...including all my tees.  if there is a trashcan, i can toss em in there.  otherwise i will just stick the busted ones in an empty beer can/water bottle and throw them all away at the end.  i think it looks trashy to see all of those tee "skeletons" laying all over the tee box.

if you forget your tee, that's one thing.  but to pick it up AND THEN throw it to the side seems a bit lazy.

just my 2 cents

Nike Covert 2.0 driver with Kuro Kage

Nike Covert Tour 3 wood

Nike Covert 5 wood

Nike Covert 4 hybrid

Nike VRS Forged irons 5i-GW

Callaway Forged Wedge 56deg

Callaway X-Forged Wedge 60deg

Odyssey White Hot XG #9 putter
2015 Sun Mountain Tour Series cart bag

This has been a somewhat interesting discussion, and has caused me to think a bit about my own habits. I'm going to be honest and explain how I have always done things.

First, I always use wooden, non painted tees. The reason for this (other than OCD, lol) is simple. It's wood. It's not going to hurt the environment if it is left behind, or thrown into the woods, or tossed into a creek. It's wood, not a pop bottle.

Second, I always pick up any tees that are in good condition on tee boxes. As cheap as tees are, I hate having to buy them. They are little more than an overweight toothpick anyway. It seems silly to buy them sometimes, lol.

Third, I always use a partial tee if I'm not hitting a driver. I always look around for one, and actually find it depressing when I can't find a partial tee on a tee box because that means I've now got to use a perfectly good tee that probably won't survive this attack.

Fourth, I always leave partial tees on the teebox, typically by one of the markers. I do this mostly out of consideration for anyone else that may want to use it, but also partly because... it's wood.

Right or wrong, that's how I've always done things.

Driver -  909D2 9.5*
3 Wood -  975F 14.5*
5 Wood -  909F 18.5*
3I-PW -  Apex circa 2000
SW -   SM 54.08

LW -   SM 60.04

Putter -   Newport 2

Ball -  Pro V1

At our club I assume that they are left because we are provided with all the free tees we need. Some people here would say that the tees are the property of the club in this case and should be left on the ground.

Personally I just throw mine at a playing partner - which is all fun and games until someone gets their eye poked out.

• Upvote 1

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Great analogy..,,,   you should run for public office.

Originally Posted by shades9323

• Upvote 1

That is exactly what I do/feel.  Must be the way we were brought up--being frugal or cheap as some would call it.  LOL!!!

Originally Posted by parbreaker

Second, I always pick up any tees that are in good condition on tee boxes. As cheap as tees are, I hate having to buy them. They are little more than an overweight toothpick anyway. It seems silly to buy them sometimes, lol.

Third, I always use a partial tee if I'm not hitting a driver. I always look around for one, and actually find it depressing when I can't find a partial tee on a tee box because that means I've now got to use a perfectly good tee that probably won't survive this attack.

Fourth, I always leave partial tees on the teebox, typically by one of the markers. I do this mostly out of consideration for anyone else that may want to use it, but also partly because... it's wood.

Right or wrong, that's how I've always done things.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

My grandfather told me once "these are 2 cents a piece"...I dont know how accurate that was but I always pick mine up.

However, a used tee, even if its only been hit once, may as well be a dirty needle...I wont touch them...for all I know the guy dug out a wedgie, picked his nose, then grabbed that tee out of his pocket soaked God knows what, used it to clean out his ear...I'm probably deranged, but thats just how I think.

Note: This thread is 4632 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!