IGNORED

John Daly at the PGA Tour Champions Dinner

makaveli
Note: This thread is 4630 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Didn't the world leave the "men don't care about fashion and clothes, it's only women that do that" thing behind 20+ years ago?

Originally Posted by Dad-2-3

Didn't read the whole thread, but if you are a man, why in the hell would you care what another man wears to a dinner or event you aren't attending? Even if you were attending, why would what JD wears reflect on you or concern you at all?

I could see if you were married to the dude, but c'mon???

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Ask all the guys that whined about how Ricky Fowler wore his hat at the Masters.

I'd tell them to get a life too.

Originally Posted by deasy55

Didn't the world leave the "men don't care about fashion and clothes, it's only women that do that" thing behind 20+ years ago?

I expect men care about fashion and what they themselves wear , but I personally couldn't care what or how another man dresses.

Haha

I never said that what JD was wearing was formal. I said that NONE of them were dressed formally. Tiger and Phil were next to last and third to last in that department as well.

It was not intuitive. If someone uses a term, I expect them to use it correctly. So when you say formal, I expect you to be talking about formal, not semi-formal.

Originally Posted by makaveli

Thank you for you arrogance, how about respecting different opinions? Anyway, I don't want to set any dress code standard, but if you really think JD is dressed properly good for you, I really don't think it would be worth continue talking about proper attire, cheers!

Dude, we can go to Styleforum and spend weeks discussing about the meaning of formal but one thing is sure that JD is not formally dressed (maybe he is according for him) in any way you want to intend the word. Now I will wait for a reply that will show me how pink checked jacked, pink t shirt, jeans and pink allstars are formal but I don't mind...

Anyway, with formal I mean suit, shirt and tie... thought it was pretty intuitive, but we see that me and you got diametrical opposite opinions on just everything and I like it! :D

I am very conservative in my work attire but that's me.  I don't have a problem with JD wearing Loudmouth to an event dinner.  I think he would look worse in a suit.   I have a pair of Loudmouth shorts and have to say they are very comfortable.

Dude... formal, semi formal, smart casual... who cares... one thing is dressing properly for a Major Champs dinner and one thing is dressing like a clown, but as said before, that's JD... unfortunately. This said, I love his style, perfect for a college pool party! (anticipating the reply: I know that you need also a bathing suit for a pool party, he would bring it as well... pink I think)

Originally Posted by shades9323

Haha

I never said that what JD was wearing was formal. I said that NONE of them were dressed formally. Tiger and Phil were next to last and third to last in that department as well.

It was not intuitive. If someone uses a term, I expect them to use it correctly. So when you say formal, I expect you to be talking about formal, not semi-formal.

Evidently you care.  You are the one who used the term. I would prefer JD keep on the above at a college pool party.  I guess it doesn't matter as I would be looking at the women in the bikinis anyway.

Dude... formal, semi formal, smart casual... who cares... one thing is dressing properly for a Major Champs dinner and one thing is dressing like a clown, but as said before, that's JD... unfortunately. This said, I love his style, perfect for a college pool party! (anticipating the reply: I know that you need also a bathing suit for a pool party, he would bring it as well... pink I think)

Originally Posted by shades9323

Evidently you care.  You are the one who used the term. I would prefer JD keep on the above at a college pool party.  I guess it doesn't matter as I would be looking at the women in the bikinis anyway.

I don't get the point of your answer but I agree about the chix over JD! Cheers! :D

He could have at least worn a tie and some slacks instead of jeans.  I'm ok with him trying to look different, but come on, the right pants and a tie would show so much more respect.  T-shirt under a sport coat doesn't really cut it at a formal dinner, kind of a poo-on-you action.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by imtomtomim

He could have at least worn a tie and some slacks instead of jeans.  I'm ok with him trying to look different, but come on, the right pants and a tie would show so much more respect.  T-shirt under a sport coat doesn't really cut it at a formal dinner, kind of a poo-on-you action.

Respect for what? He's at the dinner and he's totally consistent with who he has always been and how he dresses on the course. I don't think it's a big deal.

So many professional golfers come from a country club background where everything is prim, proper and privileged. Daly comes from a poor background and is far from the typical pro golfer. Why does he need to conform?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The point was that you said nobody cares. I said you did because you put a label on it, that is all.

I would be checking out the chick while hanging with JD. He is bound to help you pull tail.

I don't get the point of your answer but I agree about the chix over JD! Cheers! :D

Honestly...  I do not have an issue with but I am surprised the club itself did not have the balls to enforce their own dress code.  Pretty sure jeans are not appropriate dress for dinner.  jeans and sneakers may be a bit over the top but so is Daly, everything about the guy screams over the top, his drinking, smoking gambling... oh wait I do all those. I guess I need to find me some queer looking blazers to wear with my jeans.

The host of the dinner, Martin Kaymer, didn't seem to care:

“You look at him and smile and you know that that’s just him,” the 26-year-old from Germany said. “Why should he come in a black suit and a tie where he doesn’t feel comfortable in? Everybody knows that’s the way he is. It didn’t disturb me, me as the host. I was fine. I was happy that he was there.”

I like to dress well when the occasion calls for it. For example, I like to look nice on the airplane (nice shirt, good slacks, good, polished shoes), instead of being dressed for going to the gym or stepping outside to get the morning paper.

As for Daly, something would be wrong if he had worn a dark suit. The way he dresses is who he is. Besides, this is not the kind of occasion where the right clothes are mandatory. Now if he were going to someone's funeral in that outfit, . . .

Maybe its just me, but John Daly looks a hell of a lot better than Steve Elkington in this picture?

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

I dunno guys, it seems that the vast majority of you thinks there is nothing wrong with JD attire, I still thinks this is not respectful towards the event and the hosts but anyway, we are talking about JD so we can understand why he dresses like this! Cheers! ;)

Heh this is John Daly. You know where he stands on the whole suit thing. Tiger should have suited up. Would have looked better but what do I care what someone else wears?!

I read most of the comments and found it interesting. Here are my thoughts for whatever they are worth.  First I should tell you I grew up in boots and jeans.  We always cleaned the cow crap off the boots before we went to town and never judged people by what they wear.   A lot more crooks in suits than in wranglers has been my experience since leaving the ranch.  But if the hosts of the dinner care what people wear to the dinner they should say so on the invitation.  If they don't specify "proper attire" then a past champion should feel free to wear whatever pleases them to the dinner.  As to JD and Tiger, they are just fellow human beings trying to make their way through life as best they can the same way we all are.  Probably imperfect beings who made a few mistakes along the way, just like the rest of us.

Butch

Note: This thread is 4630 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!