IGNORED

Even in mediocrity Tiger is still the most talked about golfer. Interesting $$$ article inside.

Note: This thread is 3633 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I found this article interesting on Tigers earning per round in his career:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44089967

Quote:
Tiger Woods is having an awful year.

In the six tournaments he has completed, he has finished in an average position of 23rd.

How badly is that hurting his bank account?

In order to compensate for the actual amount of work he has done over his 16-year career, we added up his on-course earnings and divided it by how many total rounds of golf he played that year.

The results?

In 2011, Tiger Woods is making $25,743 per round. The only year he has made less was his rookie year in 1996. That year, he earned $24,113 per round. That's not to say Woods played any better. His average finish for the half of a year he played was 11th, but total prize money for the PGA Tour that year was not even $70 million. This year, total prize money is $288 million.

If Woods finishes in 28th place or worse at this week's PGA Championship, he'll fall below his earnings per round from his rookie season, the only other year where he made less than $1 million

Tiger Woods' Earnings
Year Money Earned Rounds $ per Round
2011 $656,459 25 rounds 1/2 rounds $25,743 per round
2010 $2,169,330 58 rounds $37,402 per round
2009 $11,198,163 73 rounds $153,399 per round
2008 $6,196,717 30 rounds $206,557 per round
2007 $12,370,706 71 rounds $174,235 per round
2006 $13,057,699 76 rounds $171,812 per round
2005 $10,862,933 87 rounds $124,862 per round
2004 $7,941,272 88 rounds $90,242 per round
2003 $7,606,528 83 rounds $91,645 per round
2002 $9,017,189 87 rounds $103,646 per round
2001 $7,761,661 94 rounds $82,571 per round
2000 $11,434,480 105 rounds 108,900 per round
1999 $7,681,765 97 rounds $79,193 per round
1998 $2,874,757 92 rounds $31,247 per round
1997 $2,440,832 92 rounds $26,531 per round
1996 $940,420 39 rounds $24,113 per round

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

Can you imagine having that kind of income, and STILL needing to get a mortgage for your house?

I don't think he NEEDED to get a mortgage.

Mortgages are one of few deductions that apply regardless of income.  It's foolish to use your own cash to buy a house when banks are offering 30 year loans at fixed interest rates of 4% and you get to deduct the interest paid from your taxes, it's as close to free money as you can get.  Plus with smart investing you can then take the money you would have paid in cash for the house and invest it make even more money.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pay the bank $10,000 in interest so I don't have to send the government $1500 in taxes?  Nah, I like my paid for home and having all my cash to invest.  I have the $$ to invest because I don't have....... payments!

But I doubt that something Tiger mulls over too much.  He has yes men to do that for him I'm sure.

Anywho, back on topic.  I wonder what his total annual income was including the endorsements?  Or lack thereof, after losing several, compared to years past.

Last year he made $75 million. In the few years previous to that he was raking in over $100 million per year.

Pay the bank $10,000 in interest so I don't have to send the government $1500 in taxes?  Nah, I like my paid for home and having all my cash to invest.  I have the $$ to invest because I don't have....... payments!

But I doubt that something Tiger mulls over too much.  He has yes men to do that for him I'm sure.

Anywho, back on topic.  I wonder what his total annual income was including the endorsements?  Or lack thereof, after losing several, compared to years past.

That's not how it works though. Newtogolf is correct:  If someone's paying the bank $10,000 in interest it's because they *didn't* pay $300,000 cash (for example) for their house. That $300,000 can theoretically be invested at a rate much better than the rate they're paying on the mortgage, especially when you add in the deductions.  That's why any financial adviser will tell you to invest any extra cash elsewhere rather than paying down a low-interest mortgage.

(And not that it matters, but $10,000 in interest payments on a mortgage works out to about a $3-4000 deduction btw, depending on your bracket.)  EDIT: ...and your state.

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure everyone is aware of that fact. The article did state on course earnings.

Originally Posted by Gioguy21

keep in mind the numbers listed to NOT include sponsorships.

Originally Posted by shades9323

Pretty sure everyone is aware of that fact. The article did state on course earnings.

oh well thanks shades, i was just stating it in case anyone wasn't as wise as you. sorry about that

No need to be smarmy. It isn't about being "wise", it is about actually reading what was posted. I assume everybody on a golf forum online can read.

oh well thanks shades, i was just stating it in case anyone wasn't as wise as you. sorry about that

i think if we were looking at his total dollars made per round you have to look at the overall picture of his wealth and not JUST his earnings through tournaments.

That's the rub.  We AREN'T talking about total dollars per round. That isn't what the article(i.e. the discussion) was about. The article was specifically about his ON COURSE earnings.

i think if we were looking at his total dollars made per round you have to look at the overall picture of his wealth and not JUST his earnings through tournaments.

this is a quivel really, understood that the thread was about his earnings regarding his on course winnings, i feel as tho it's not a full representation as to how much he actually has made over his career, to better illustrate how his 'mediocrity' is still very well greater than most of those on tour. my point was also that the article, although trying to show how Tiger is seemingly sliding off the map in terms of finances (money earned per round in this case by winnings), doesn't give the reader a big enough picture to see just now much Tiger has lost over the last few years due to injury, swing changes, personal life downfalls, etc. Although it's a good article to demonstrate how 'even in mediocrity Tiger is still the most talked about golfer', i was saying there's more to the whole picture. sorry shades but i was only trying to emphasize the fact that this discussion was only including a small portion of his finances, ie talking about a golfers golf game and only mentioning/talking about the way he chips.
see below:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/06/tiger-woods-still-ranks-as-top-earning-us-athlete/1

http://www.databasegolf.com/players/playerpage.htm?samid=WoodsTig01

*Note* i couldn't find a total listing of all earned sponsorship dollars for his career, and as seen above, even for someone who's 'mediocrity' is better than any other professional athlete as of this year

Originally Posted by shades9323

That's the rub.  We AREN'T talking about total dollars per round. That isn't what the article(i.e. the discussion) was about. The article was specifically about his ON COURSE earnings.

Let me say two things:

1. The house was mortgaged with the note holder being Elin(!) as a way TWoods could get 50-60 million to her and in the process have it "secured."

2. Gio maybe the total earnings are important to you, but your focus is a bit odd to me.  You leave out his capital gains!  As well as gains yet unrealized in assets which have appreciated.  And tournament appearance fees.  Of course, these are not published but any accountant would deal with them for the TOTAL picture, but for whatever reason you have been silent about including them when seeking out your version of TOTAL INCOME.

Furthermore, just with the figures we have, we all know his off course income dwarfs his on course, and would be over a million "per round"..but to me, if he made 100 million off course, and 100 million the next year, then a "fairly interesting" variation (for most people) comes about due to his playing performance, which is what this list mainly provides.

Have a good day, and keep it in the short grass.

Note: This thread is 3633 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!