IGNORED

Going to golf course only to use their practice green, is this ok?

dansamimi
Note: This thread is 4632 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

At one point in my life I lived in West Orange, NJ and the muni there was Francis Byrne.  The one hole there they replaced the green turning a 440 yd hole into a 350 yard hole. The old green was kept in nice shape. Down at the clubhouse was a little practice green...Average 30 guys working that little thing. Could hardly get a putt to go without hitting a ball....Now for that Adage "Act like you own it till somebody says otherwise"  That green had a little cart path that meandered to the road.  I'd drive up it park my car pull out my bag and practice, Sand shots, chips, pitches and putts for hours. I was the only person to do this for an entire summer there....1981...That was so sweet.  Went from 7cap to 3cap that summer.

As a new golfer[original poster] it wouldn't hurt to have a short game lesson and you will build a repoire with the pro/assistant...It's a good way to start out.  Good Luck

I got into golf as a kid by doing this. My dad would take me to the course and we'd just putt for an hour. A lot of good times, and now I'm ready to get back at it after a nearly 10 year lay-off.

Originally Posted by fairwayguy2

If they wanted to charge people for using them they would have them fenced in and you would have to pay to get it.  It is a courtesy of the course so use it , that's why it is there.  I am sure you will spend a ton of money there through out the years.

It is a courtesy of the course for a non paying customer?

On a public course, you are probably pretty safe, but the above mentioned idea that explaining you are new and trying to learn would probably get you some brownie points.

The only place I see it posted as not allowed around here is driving range only places.

Now if I saw someone sneaking onto my private course, if I couldnt chase them off, I would pull someone out of the pro shop to sell them on the benefits of joining the club - which would probably scare them off anyway.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As long as it was open to the general public (public or semi-private) i would putt to your hearts desire.  I could only see this being a problem on a private course.

Anyway, i just got back from the putting green at the muni 20 minutes ago...good session today.

I have gone to my home course with a new putter to try out on occasion. While there, I usually buy some range balls to cancel out any guilty feelings of free use of their putting green.

I have never seen anyone on the practice green with any training tools for putting. Now I would really feel awkward doing this.

If its a place you play from time to time, introduce yourself to the pro...that will relieve the awkward feeling.  There is a course up the street from my house that I wont set foot on, however any of the Fort Worth public courses have always been super friendly if I just wanted to putt for a while and talk golf, however I do play there.

There is a driving range I frequent that will charge you to use their short game area, if you don't buy balls.  Its a very nice facility, and privately owned.

To me its a common sense thing, if your going to use the facilities...spend some money, nothing is "free".  People occasionally come in my office wanting to use the fax machine, bathroom, phone...their attitude, reason, and my mood will decide whether or not I tell them to hit the bricks.

Originally Posted by DBeane

To me its a common sense thing, if your going to use the facilities...spend some money, nothing is "free".  People occasionally come in my office wanting to use the fax machine, bathroom, phone...their attitude, reason, and my mood will decide whether or not I tell them to hit the bricks.

I hope that isn't a home office.  If it is, perhaps you should lock your doors. If it is not, you must run a tight ship.  No phones or bathrooms for other employee's? HAHA!!

buy some drinks and food at the resturant...support the facility

Driver Wishon 919THI 4 Wood Pure Fit w Accuflex

Ping Rapture hybrid Irons Wishon 770 CFE with Apollo Humps regular Gripmaster rubber grips 4-aw Wedges Ping MB 56 Ping Eye 2 Lob &nbsp ;Mentor Quad putter gripmaster gator grip

Bantam chipper leather grip

Dont worry about it. Alot of people do it. A LOT...... I always do that, but i buy some range balls too every now and then.

Driver:  R9 SuperTri 10.5*

Fairway:  R7 3wood 13*

Hybrid:  Super Hybrid 17*

Irons: CG Reds

Wedges: Vr 52* 56* 

Putter: Studio Select Newport 2.5 midslant

Ball: e6

Absolutely.  If its public its fair game.  I take my boy up to putt and get used to chipping.  The places I go, people are very friendly and nice about it.  They know I'm not playing but they also know who I am and that I do play there.  Even if I didn't, it wouldn't matter.

Brian

Note: This thread is 4632 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!