Sign in to follow this  
8.5_Drive

Guy goes nuts for Tiger Woods shot

Note: This thread is 2959 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

32 posts / 2942 viewsLast Reply

Originally Posted by michaeljames92

It's people like that guy who are childish enough to think it's hilarious every time it is said. The first time it was said, yes it might have been funny, but repeating it over and over is just so lame that even the players say it pisses them off.

Grab a coffee and head back to the office...

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I wish! If I had the opportunity it would've been.

Originally Posted by deasy55

You are that guy in the video, aren't you?

Its embarrassing to be fair. What ever way you look at it. If i was stood next to someone who shouted that i would cringe so hard

And what golfer wants a ****ing sleaze ball, 17 stone, 27 handicapper to be shouting GETINDAHOLEE after every shot.

However, i look forward to meeting these people on my trip to the states.

I have made a pact with myself that if I ever hear somebody shout something like that at a competition I'm present at I'm going to punch them in the face. Luckily I haven't heard it at any event I've been at.

I think shouting "Get in the Hole!" at Tiger seems a bit over board. After all, "Getting it in the hole" got him to trouble in the first place. Might have well been shouting "Get a hooker!"

My point is that claps and the typical "cheer" just makes golf more of what all the people on the outside think it is: the thing you watch when you are about to take a nap.

In my opinion, you guys are being a little too uptight about how you want the spectator experience to be. Golf has made so much progress over the past century. Pretty sure the younger generations aren't gonna be too interested in a game with the same boring claps and cheers with Nick Faldo or David Feherty narrating the shot. "GET IN DA HOLE!" isn't a douchebaggery cheer, it's a way of adding excitement to a sport that is seemingly boring to the general public (especially younger people).

I'm sorry, but GET IN DA HOLE is the definition of a doucebag cheer. I would have no problem with people roaring sensible things like GO ON TIGER or something, but stupid things like GET IN DA HOLE and MASHED POTATO turned into a golfing joke years ago. The only reason they are shouted is because people think they are being funny/want to be heard on tv. They are not shouting it to cheer on the player, at all.

Originally Posted by FowlPlay

My point is that claps and the typical "cheer" just makes golf more of what all the people on the outside think it is: the thing you watch when you are about to take a nap.

In my opinion, you guys are being a little too uptight about how you want the spectator experience to be. Golf has made so much progress over the past century. Pretty sure the younger generations aren't gonna be too interested in a game with the same boring claps and cheers with Nick Faldo or David Feherty narrating the shot. "GET IN DA HOLE!" isn't a douchebaggery cheer, it's a way of adding excitement to a sport that is seemingly boring to the general public (especially younger people).

Quote:

I'm sorry, but GET IN DA HOLE is the definition of a doucebag cheer. I would have no problem with people roaring sensible things like GO ON TIGER or something, but stupid things like GET IN DA HOLE and MASHED POTATO turned into a golfing joke years ago. The only reason they are shouted is because people think they are being funny/want to be heard on tv. They are not shouting it to cheer on the player, at all.

Is their really anything wrong with that? The game is getting growing and getting younger. It is evolving. The same old golf claps and "GO ON TIGER"(LOL) aren't bringing people to the game. The rowdiness of the galleries and "GET IN DA HOLE!" and "TIGER, YOU DA MAN!" is.

But I will agree with the "MASHED POTATO!" stupidity. I don't get that at all, but I do find it funny.

I'm going to agree to disagree with Fowlplay and DaSportsGuy. I can't understand your logic but that's just personality differences, I guess. If people require idiots with little knowledge of golf to shout IN DA HOLE on the tee of a par 5 to find the game interesting then so be it.

"Get in the hole" seems like a pretty normal cheer. I think the fact that it stands out is just what annoys you guys. But really? Claps and cheers are all people should do? Sounds boring to me. Don't insult a cheer that only shows the scope of the spectator experience.

I think some of you have grown up too serious about how things should work. Having fun is all it's about. Just because you are irritated by such a cheer, doesn't meant that guy is a douche, it probably says more to how you've been raised to be very mild with how you express excitement.

And no, I don't require it to be exciting, but I don't see how it's so wrong to do it. But you said it correctly, it's probably just personality differences. But then again, we can't expect to have this worldwide sport catered to each of our personalities. Let it grow, let people enjoy the sport as they like to.

I would laugh my ass off if I heard someone yell 'GO ON TIGER'

Whether people yell random things or not doesn't bother me. Half the time I have the T.V muted because I cant stand the commentary

Note: This thread is 2959 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!