IGNORED

How do you keep your game sharp in the winter?

jshots
Note: This thread is 4628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I live in Colorado too, and most years I play all winter long.  My home course is open all year except when there's too much snow on the ground.  Usually there isn't much more than a month and a half or so where I can't play there.  Last winter I played on December 31.  I also missed out on a few chances to play in January and February after having hernia surgery.

I have lived up in the mountains my whole life and courses are closed all winter, but now I go to CU in Boulder and supposedly Flatirons  is open all year pending weather so hopefully I can get some rounds in there. I did not know this until recently. I'm hoping I can get a part time job at a course so I can play for free.

:whistle:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

I don't do much swing related.  I take that time I do alot to work on my flexibilty over the winter. ...   I will chip and put a bit and make a trip or two the simulator, but nothing major game related. ...

I'm similar. I'll chip and putt, and maybe hit a bucket at the range if the weather is nice. One thing I try to do over the winter is complete any sticky work or home-related projects that would eat into golf time in the spring.

If I can find a couple of weeks in March when I can pick up a club every other day - not play 18, just do something - I find I bounce back pretty fast. If I miss my "pre-season," it's often a frustrating summer and I don't play that well.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

That's just not right.  Golf one day and skiing the next.  Colorado is officially on my list of " will move to if the right job opportunity comes along " states.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I live in Colorado too, and most years I play all winter long.  My home course is open all year except when there's too much snow on the ground.  Usually there isn't much more than a month and a half or so where I can't play there.  Last winter I played on December 31.  I also missed out on a few chances to play in January and February after having hernia surgery.

My wife is from a large, close-knit Italian family.  So all I would have to do is move her parents, brothers and sisters and their families, grandmother, and probably her aunts, uncles and thirty-something cousins too.  No problem.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

I'm lucky enough to live somewhere I can play all year round! It can get a bit heavy under foot but its never too cold for golf... I played last weekend in shorts, polo and a vest and finished up pretty sweaty...  Not bad for the middle of winter!!

"Let the bears pay the bear tax I pay the Homer tax!"

I'm a little surprised no one else plays at simulators?  Do you guys just not use them?

Around me, there are very nice simulators located at golf training centers and at bars.  For $15, we can get a driving range session and 18 holes of golf at a simulator at a bar.  All while having a few drinks and watching football or basketball.  It's a good time and keeps the swing fresh.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

simulators arent that big in the uk really,

but we can play all year round, frozen or not,

last winter on a frozen par 5 i hit a pw well over 200 yards down the hill, was a hilarious day, but didnt do the wrists much good,....

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Originally Posted by Gresh24

I'm a little surprised no one else plays at simulators?  Do you guys just not use them?

Around me, there are very nice simulators located at golf training centers and at bars.  For $15, we can get a driving range session and 18 holes of golf at a simulator at a bar.  All while having a few drinks and watching football or basketball.  It's a good time and keeps the swing fresh.

I wouldn't even know where to find one.  I guess that there are a couple at a gaming house, but It isn't worth the effort  and expense, in my opinion.  I'll just play
Links on my computer if I'm that desperate.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Here in Madison we have a heated driving range.  As long as its not too cold (below 10* F) I go there about once a week and blast away to keep my swing from getting too rusty.

Also, the same place has an indoor mini golf course and I play that sometimes to keep my putting in shape.

Its definetly not the same as actually playing year round but its enough so that it only takes a few rounds to get my game back into shape when the warm weather finally gets here in April.

Also, I start playing in the spring as soon as the courses open, even if that means I have to bundle up in order to keep warm (beanie, light jacket, cold weather golf gloves, thermal base layers) and I dont stop playing until the courses have shut down for the year (which is usually October 31st).  The season is so short around here that sometimes you have to play in weather that isnt exactly ideal.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I live in Toronto so I can hardly do anything during the winter. Some sort of golf dome or indoor range should work, some even have pros working there and you can take lessons just to keep everything in form and even improve. Also, winter is a good time to work out, doing ab/leg stuff and swimming are really good.

titleist.gif 910D2 10.5* w/ Diamana Blue Stiff

S2 15* 3W Stiff

Burner SuperFast Rescue Hybrid 3i

titleist.gif AP1 Stiff 4-AW
vokey.gif Black Nickel 56*.11 , 60*.04

Ironmaster Putter

titleist.gifNXT Tour

Note: This thread is 4628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!